Homemade DIY portable duck/goose blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Homemade DIY portable duck/goose blind

Postby bradcrisco » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:33 pm

I've been kicking around the idea of building a portable blind for 2-3 guys (probably 6-8' long) to put on one of the fields that I can hunt. I don't want to spend a lot. Found a couple of ideas about using 1 1/4-2" PVC framing, then going from there as far as camoing/grassing it up. Anybody have any experience or suggestions with something like this? How did it hold up with the elements?

Thanks
Big Al's Take 'Em Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff
bradcrisco
hunter

Re: Homemade DIY portable duck/goose blind

Postby gomersnerd » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm

cut a bunch of cane and stick it in the ground. pick up a few 5 gallon buckets. as long as the cane stays green ducks will come in. cheap, portable and effective
gomersnerd
hunter

Postby bradcrisco » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:13 pm

Here's a picture I found of what I had in mind...
Attachments
pvc blind.png
pvc blind.png (309.63 KiB) Viewed 5496 times
Big Al's Take 'Em Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff
bradcrisco
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

I had a friend get permission to hunt a old stone quarry. Exclusive to him and whoever he wants to take along. He wanted a blind he could move around according to wind direction ect. He built the same one you posted the picture of. Worthless...to say the least. It was unstable, always moving around, blew over, couldnt move it in the cold without breaking it. Noisy, it would creek and groan. Total waste of time. I killed more ducks that he did on the quarry because I took my layout and stashed it on the bank when I would hunt with him.
t_baker
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 am

Those kind of blinds work...until it gets windy and the covering material starts flappin' in the breeze unless you have everything pretty tight.

Use something black & waterproof/wind proof as a base layer. Tie it on good. Flat Black is good. That way the inside of the blind is all black from above and just looks like a hole or something dark like a shadow.

Then tv tie on a second layer of black nylon mesh material and finally tie on a third layer of materials gathered from the blind-site that match the surroundings. Weeds, grass, corn stalks, or whatever matches where you hunt.
Good luck.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby STEVE IN SOCAL » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Been there done that....not long for this world when it gets windy. If you're in a sheltered spot you may be ok.
STEVE IN SOCAL
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Get some 2"x2"'s ; cut the ends to points; staple or zip tie grass mats at their widest point and in the center (4'X4'); stick them back in the ground at an angle; hide under neath; stand up to shoot. It won't hold 2-3 guys, each would need his own. Fairly light to carry in and out. You can even do 2 sets so you can cover the back and front of you (think of a volcano). Good luck!!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:01 pm

The best portable blind I've found to make works really good, go to ur local tractor supply or farm supply store and get 2 panels of the welded fence it's made out of 3/16rod I think, there 4 ft tall 16 ft long, get two pieces there about 20 bucks per sheet last time I bought them. Take one piece cut in half with bolt cutters that give you the front and back 8 ft long. Take the other piece and cut it in half and the one 8 ft piece for the top take the remaining 8 ft and cut in half you'll have 2 4ft pieces for the end, ending up with a 4x8 blind with a 4x8 piece for the top, I use stainless hose clamps 3/4 or 1 inch you'll need 13 of them. I use two clamps per end leaving one end undone where the 4 ft meets the 8ft for a swinging door. Take the top piece and put 3 hose clamps across the back, you'll need a piece of 1/2 conduit 5ft, cut in half so you'll have 2 2 1/2ft pieces, use a clamp on the top and bottom of the conduit and set ur roof angle and tighten. If u leave the clamps slightly lose on the frame u can collapsed it and move it where ever, just undo the top,fold backwards and flatten the blind, it collapses to about a foot wide 12 ft long so u can carry it

Materials needed:
2 pieces of welded fence. 4ftx16ft $20-25 each
1 5ft piece of emt conduit $5
13 hose clamp $4 I prefer stainless for longevity, this blind will last a long time
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby Levantou » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Hey Quack Wacker, do you have a picture of the blind that you described building?
Levantou
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I'll try to get one over the weekend
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Postby Levantou » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 pm

Awesome. Thanks!
Levantou
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I will take low profile over an upright blind almost everytime. That goes for a boat or ground blind. Low profile is much deadlier than a high profile blind. Get a layout blind. If your buddies want to hunt let them buy a layout blind. You will kill more birds and they are easy to move.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Skysweeper007 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:34 pm

This is a great idea, this will be a lot lighter to drag a mile into the marsh!
Skysweeper007
hunter

Postby coruptone » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 pm

Also check out plastic construction fence. You can pick it up at lowles or home depot and it comes in orange or black in rolls. This stuff is very tough and can be cut to any shape just add a little paint and grass roll it up and go. :thumbsup:
coruptone
hunter

Postby Quack Wacker NC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Levantou wrote:Awesome. Thanks!

I didn't get a chance this weekend been busy as heck I'll get one soon, I understand what y'all r saying about weight, I don't take it out during season and I use a layout in most cases, but it serves it point very well and only weighs about 50 pound
Quack Wacker NC
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum