Old school camo? Opinions appreciated

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Old school camo? Opinions appreciated

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 am

Saw a thred on here debating MODB or max 4, I'm in the market for a new jacket for next season and am thinking of getting the old school camo drake 4 in one wading jacket. I really like the old school camo, but I'm between that, and the max 4 that I usually wear. I would really like to hear some opinions about the two and which one you fellas think is better.
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Re: Old school camo? Opinions appreciated

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:38 am

I've hunted when "old school" wasn't:

and find Max-4 more versatile.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 am

I always thought old school was the most versatile camo out there. I dont think it blends any one environment super well but I never feel like its too dark or too light. unlike my advantage wetlands camo which only worked in cattails. just my opinion

GREAT pic btw! :thumbsup:

I didn't hunt ducks when "old school wasn't" but I do now

HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:23 am

I have a few old "old school" camo jackets. I will wear them every once in a while because I have friends who wear old school. Have an original gore-tex Columbia parka in old school. Also have a Bill Allen Gore-tex old school "duck-o-flage" Ducks Unlimited edition wader jacket from OMG 1978.
I tried selling that Bill Allen jacket for $1500. No takers.
I guess antique hunting jackets in brand-new condition don't sell too well.

I think that something darker is good in timber. Otherwise old school camo is fine. Killed hundreds and hundreds of ducks wearing old school back in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Then started wearing modern patterns. I'd show pics but taking pictures of old polaroid pics and posting them don't work too well.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby iamallard » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:39 am

If you stand back 60 or 70 yards from old school camo it just looks black.
iamallard
Newb

Postby 18javelin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 am

Image I like retro camo...

Sent from the X
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 am

iamallard wrote:If you stand back 60 or 70 yards from old school camo it just looks black.

You mean unlike 99% of the more "modern" patterns now on the market?

Old school is about as close to an "all-around" pattern as you'll find. I've still got some old school stuff and next year I'll wear it instead of all the newer patterns hanging in my hunting closet.
mudpack
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 am

Im not a fan of Bill Jordan so i try not to buy anything realtree. I like the old school camo I may give it a shot when drake goes on sale in a couple of weeks
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Great info guys! Nd awesome pics! Thank you all for you're input. As long as people are saying I can still kill ducks in the camo, it looks like I might have to give it a try.
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:16 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I've hunted when "old school" wasn't:

and find Max-4 more versatile.

Is that face paint or Goose blood?
:devil:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby don novicki » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:39 pm

It wasn't called "old school" back then. It was Brown Camo and was a step up from standard brown Carharts, back in the day. I don't own any of the new stuff and I don't own a piece of Max 4. I do have 5 different coats in Brown Camo. Still works even today.................. :thumbsup:
don novicki
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 pm

I hunt with a pair of bibs that are what is called "old school" now. When they were bought they were called CAMO. One of my favorite pieces of hunting clothing. Been stitched up many times from run ins with fences and still kill'in ducks.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:42 am

Im still using my Old School, works as good today as it did back then.
In lighter colored marshes it's excellent. It sure beat military green camo back in the day.
In our cattail and Phrag infested marshes we call hunters in Max4 the black ninjas.
They stick out so bad at 100 yards but look very fashionable up close.
For christmas my buddy gave me a old school jones cap. :thumbsup:
Can hardly wait to grab the Model 12 slip on my rubber hip boots put on my cap and decoy some ducks!

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:46 am

Amen, Spry, amen.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ksfowler166 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 pm

I like my coat drake coat in old school camo. I starting to get into a phase of getting away from trying to look like something camos. But remember old school duck hunter camo is a military pattern and thats dangerous. I say were a guy posted that military patterns where dangerous while turkey hunting because they hid you form other people. :lol3: :rolleyes:
De Oppresso Liber
ksfowler166
hunter

Postby erp10 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Dont be scared go old school.
erp10
hunter

Postby cONG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 pm

I dont know anyone that hunt with old school camo. I like the duckblind camo but all my suff is max 4 it to light
cONG
hunter

Postby nichko » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Love it!!
Is it normal to think about hunting this much??
nichko
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:52 pm

I was a big fan of fall flight camp, but it didn't last long. It looked a little light up close but disappeared at about 10 yards out, at least compared to today's camp.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby ohio mike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 pm

If ya sit still it doesn't matter,when I was young a brown canvas hunting coat and black waders were the attaire of the day. Along with a blue and walnut gun. Thought I was a big deal when I could afford Military surplus "old school" camo. Don't remember it making a difference. I buy now depending on whats on sale. Actually will wear black coveralls and lean against a tree when pass shooting Woodies on the river. And I still use a blue/walnut gun. Final answer to each his own just don't move when the ducks are working,if ya gotta look wear a mask or face paint.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:20 pm

ohio mike wrote:If ya sit still it doesn't matter,when I was young a brown canvas hunting coat and black waders were the attaire of the day. Along with a blue and walnut gun. Thought I was a big deal when I could afford Military surplus "old school" camo. Don't remember it making a difference. I buy now depending on whats on sale. Actually will wear black coveralls and lean against a tree when pass shooting Woodies on the river. And I still use a blue/walnut gun. Final answer to each his own just don't move when the ducks are working,if ya gotta look wear a mask or face paint.

I would agree, if you have some decent cover. If I'm hunting cattails I am much less worried about camo than if I am field hunting.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby coruptone » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:32 pm

beretta24 wrote:
ohio mike wrote:If ya sit still it doesn't matter,when I was young a brown canvas hunting coat and black waders were the attaire of the day. Along with a blue and walnut gun. Thought I was a big deal when I could afford Military surplus "old school" camo. Don't remember it making a difference. I buy now depending on whats on sale. Actually will wear black coveralls and lean against a tree when pass shooting Woodies on the river. And I still use a blue/walnut gun. Final answer to each his own just don't move when the ducks are working,if ya gotta look wear a mask or face paint.

I would agree, if you have some decent cover. If I'm hunting cattails I am much less worried about camo than if I am field hunting.

X-2 when i am field hunting, in a layout blind. I ware whatever is warm and if it is real cold out i slip inside a bright blue sleeping bag.
coruptone
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 am

Picked up a pristine "old school" Columbia coat from e-bay a couple of weeks ago. Looks like it was never worn. $35.00 took the thing. Take that Max-4............
don novicki
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm

I recently sold my last Columbia Quad Parka to a guy looking one for his Dad. Didn't sell it because fo the camo but because there are better, warmer and more waterproof garments available these days. Others are correct in that it was just "camo" or "brown camo" and if one chose their cover well and stayed still it worked (and still works) as good as any camo out there today.

I'm a firm believer that way too much emphasis is payed to particular camo patterns and not enough to the art of covering up (yes, even that bright white face) and being still when working birds (or hunting any game for that matter). Granted a brownish pattern works better in cattails than a green pattern but the fact is that over the years more birds have been killed by people wearing solid khaki & green or plaid brown/black than by those with all camo patterns combined.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:08 am

apexhunter wrote:
[quoteI'm a firm believer that way too much emphasis is payed to particular camo patterns and not enough to the art of covering up (yes, even that bright white face) and being still when working birds (or hunting any game for that matter). Granted a brownish pattern works better in cattails than a green pattern but the fact is that over the years more birds have been killed by people wearing solid khaki & green or plaid brown/black than by those with all camo patterns combined.][/quote]

Amen. Sit still; cover that face no matter the race (skin oil shines like mad); & get vintage camo from eBay or old school on sale from Drake. Use the money saved for the skeet/clays range; it's what I did.

"Designer" camo is a gimmick to make the designer rich. No problem - I am a capitalist. I simply do not fall for the gimmick.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum