Old school camo? Opinions appreciated

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Old school camo? Opinions appreciated

Postby dogyak » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:46 am

You know , sometimes I think if it really matters at all , I looked back at photo's of me and my dad , uncle's , and granddad from the late 60's to early 70's , killed alot of ducks in fannel shirts , of course , tan color , and jeans with hunting boots , what do you oldtimers think about this .
dogyak
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:07 pm

It simply matters more some times and places and on some game than others.

Here is one grandson accepting his first teal, not the brightest of game:

And here is another grandson with his first specks, very wary birds on our end of the flyway, but in this case shot from a pit with bundled grass overhead:

The next morning, we hunted my open-topped duck blind and dressed accordingly to help put game where the 9yr-old could hit it:

I'm thinking it better to be too well camoed than not well enough.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:40 pm

dogyak wrote:You know , sometimes I think if it really matters at all , I looked back at photo's of me and my dad , uncle's , and granddad from the late 60's to early 70's , killed alot of ducks in fannel shirts , of course , tan color , and jeans with hunting boots , what do you oldtimers think about this .

I've been waterfowl hunting since 1962, so I think I qualify to comment....

You can still kill ducks in blue jeans and brown shirts, just like you could in the 60's. But you'll kill more, quicker, more easily if you are camo'd.....just like you could in the 60's.
Bottom line; you don't NEED camo, but it sure helps.

Camo can be the difference between three ducks for the day or a limit.
Or, the difference between getting a shot at the only flock to look at you all day, or watching it fly off after one pass.
Or, the difference between a limit of shovelers and a limit of mallards and pintail.
Camo can make a difference.

Rick Hall wrote:I'm thinking it better to be too well camoed than not well enough.

I'm thinking the same thing.
mudpack
hunter

Postby don novicki » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Fact of the matter is that there were just not the number of choices available back then that you have now. I remember hunting P.I. in the 70's with Redball Green uninsulated chest waders, jeans bunched up to my arse, a thin duxback uninsulated jacket, wool "ski" sweater,Jones style hat Cotton with the flanel ear pull downs, and that's as good as it got. Cold feet, cold hands, cold everything. But there wasn't much else to pick from....
don novicki
hunter

Postby jack lowe » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:24 pm

what camo you are wearing dosnt really matter as long as you sit still an let tha birds do their thang you will be fine its all personal prefrence really or at least that my opinion on it
Fresh prince of the bayou[/quote]jehler
mox wrote:If you say the water is too cold... then you sir, are a puss
"a lanyard and a few empy shells dont make you a duck hunter" - the duck commander
jack lowe
hunter

Postby simplepeddler » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:33 pm

jack lowe wrote:what camo you are wearing dosnt really matter as long as you sit still an let tha birds do their thang you will be fine its all personal prefrence really or at least that my opinion on it

I'm with the being still for sure........I just wished my hunting "sports" would let me run thier new (insert whatever is new in camo here) stuff through the mud......anything new takes a while to get right for me......I've hunted the same Columbia marsh grass for 25 years or so and although it's not the latest.....it is the greatest.

I think old school would work fine.....if it's old.
simplepeddler
hunter

Postby Fatback » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Was looking at the old school "timber" pattern for hunting on ocean shore, on the rocks and sea weed, but in the end black seemed so much cheaper.
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 am

In 1967, I started out with the canvas (brown) hunting coat but being new to the bidness, had to have the latest & greatest which was the WWII (aka: "old school") camo pattern and subsequently (~1973) the "new" brush pattern and so it went on from there.

However, my success increased when I learned what to expect from the birds behaviorwise, with whatever weather condition, time of season, etc. was prevalent.

And, learned to hold still until time for the shot(s).

This was paramount for we often hunted in open "cover" (stump beds) and you simply stood beside one or sat upon it with your head down until it was time.

Also, there are no right angles in nature.

I have waxed cotton coats in brown that are on my back (long as it's cold enough) and I kill more birds today than I did before.

Apply common sense first, and marketing seductions, second. :beer:
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 am

In the late 70s early 80s I couldn't even count the number of times I went out to retrieve a bird and stood out in the middle of a pothole with no cover only to have birds buzzing or landing in the water next to me. That was in old school camo. I won't say camo doesn't help but most people grossly overrate it's effectiveness. Breaking your sillouette is FAR more important than any camo pattern..............................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum