Waterfowl Backpacks

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Waterfowl Backpacks

Postby AR Dave » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Backpack - I used a non waterproof small pack, some this year, and it's so much better than toting a bag on one shoulder or whatever. Anyone have a pack they like or suggestions?
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13155248&gsidynamic=GooglePLA-_-HUNTING-_-HUNTING-_-SKU-13295798&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:13155248

AR Dave
hunter

Re: Waterfowl Backpacks

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 pm

I have that bag in the big version. It is huge, I could fit 4-5 mojos in it. I don't use it for that but thats how big it is. It is also the most durable peice of drake that I own.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby sim559 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Sitak gear is introducing several new packs for the 2013 season. One will let you clip several ducks to it.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby AR Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 am

I want the thing to be waterproof, meaning no water get's in that backpack. Guess there's no need to get in a hurry, see what new stuff comes out. With the little fleece backpack, I used this year, I would snap my Lanyard full of ducks or the Texas Rig em D-Ring with Decoys to it. I was already thinking I'd put drops across the bottom row, of webbing, and D-rings across the top. But I'm mainly just replacing the old duck blind bag, don't want it too big.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:29 am

I used the Cabelas waterfowl rucksack this last season and really liked it.
It isnt all cluttered up with a bunch of little pockets. The ones it does have
on the outside fit shell boxes perfect. The bottom is waterproof the top is
just resistant. Comes with 2 bird straps. A small waterproof boat bag used inside or Zip locks keeps anything
you need compleatly dry. I can carry a doz. foam shell decoys, modifyed mojo dove,4 piece
alum pole, shells, lunch, dog biscuits,extra gloves, camera,ect in it for ultra lite long hike adventures.
It's cheap and just works...on sale now even.
Just another option to look at.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:22 am

If your looking for something smaller I can recommend the ultimate walk in blind bag from Cabelas. My hunting buddy has one and its pretty convenient because you can wear it on your back and a small decoy bag will still fit on your back over the top of the bag. It is not waterproof, but the bottom is. The top is just water resistant. I have the regular ultimate blind bag and its a pain in the ass slanging it over your shoulder. It's also on sale. I'm not sure if there are many blind bags/backpacks that are completely waterproof.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359814928.548712.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359814928.548712.jpg (44.42 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

http://m.cabelas.com/cabelas/product?ci ... id=1390009
dgram36
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:09 am

I don't think there are many that are completely waterproof, don't even see how they'd do it with zippers and all. I lost my feet crossing a Beaver Run, Canoe waist high on one side, paddle walking stick on the other, feet kicking out in front while I struggled to get them back down. :biggrin: So I dipped my backpack under water and soaked my 3rd-5th phone. Lined it with plastic a trash sack after that. Other than that incident, the bottom was probably the only thing that got wet. I'm really looking forward to this backpack, you can just take so much more with less hassle.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:19 pm

AR Dave wrote:I don't think there are many that are completely waterproof, don't even see how they'd do it with zippers and all. I lost my feet crossing a Beaver Run, Canoe waist high on one side, paddle walking stick on the other, feet kicking out in front while I struggled to get them back down. :biggrin: So I dipped my backpack under water and soaked my 3rd-5th phone. Lined it with plastic a trash sack after that. Other than that incident, the bottom was probably the only thing that got wet. I'm really looking forward to this backpack, you can just take so much more with less hassle.

Whatever bag you go with, make sure you treat it regularly. The only clothing material that is 100% waterproof is pvc coated stuff.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Good point - Scotchguard? Used to put that on everything, tents & etc., in Alaska.

rebel, think all I'll need after the pirogue, backpack, jerk string, is a 26' barrel with chokes and my reloading set up. Going to spend a lot of time patterning and finding the right load for son & my guns. Tungsten is my starting place.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:06 pm

AR Dave wrote:Good point - Scotchguard? Used to put that on everything, tents & etc., in Alaska.

rebel, think all I'll need after the pirogue, backpack, jerk string, is a 26' barrel with chokes and my reloading set up. Going to spend a lot of time patterning and finding the right load for son & my guns. Tungsten is my starting place.

I would highly recommend tungsten, others differ. I like packing a punch and sure kills, thats why I use it. I thik it's better than lead. I shoot a 30" barrel, persnoal preference because I get on target better with one. That's all I shot growing up and I shoot pretty good with one, don't fix it if it ain't broken. I use the Cabela's or McAlister wax treatment spray, it last a longer than scotchgaurd from my experience. I use kick's high flyer chokes. They pattern tungsten really well out of my beretta's.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I did the Cabelas PVC dry bag, back pack. Nice to be able to set it IN the marsh or water.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Hunter MN » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:44 pm

I have a drake basic walk in backpack. I love it, but i hate it. Haha, it is a great bag to carry your stuff, but it is almost impossible to carry decoys with the backpack on and the pockets arent as organized as a blind bag. Just my 2 cents
Hunter MN
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:19 pm

The Basic Drake Walk-in Backpack is the one in the first post, right?
I pull this $14 tub behind me everywhere I go. Floats beside me hunting in timber. I'll have my coffee in it, blind bag, shells out, gun laying on it, ducks in it. Pull it behind the canoe, just like it is in this picture. Drag it to the blind. Pull it behind 4 wheeler. My hunting buddies pull the bigger sleds behind 4 wheelers.
IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:28 pm

AR Dave wrote:The Basic Drake Walk-in Backpack is the one in the first post, right?
I pull this $14 tub behind me everywhere I go. Floats beside me hunting in timber. I'll have my coffee in it, blind bag, shells out, gun laying on it, ducks in it. Pull it behind the canoe, just like it is in this picture. Drag it to the blind. Pull it behind 4 wheeler. My hunting buddies pull the bigger sleds behind 4 wheelers.
IMG_0002 - Copy.JPG

Yes, the basic is the one in the first post pic. You can also pull a bigger sled behind a canoe/pirogue, if you want more decoys. I personally don't use a pull behind b/c I can get about 10 dozen in my pirogue plus other gear.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 pm

We're going to have to go to the Decoy Thread, I'm a little suprised at how many decoys y'all put out. That's like 120 and I read where y'all put a lot more than that out. Maybe that's the reason I don't get ducks. Is it like 100 to 1? :yes:

I'm pretty lucky in that we have decoys hanging at most of our duck holes throughout the season. All I need to take in is Mojo's. But I'm thinking, I might, stray off the plantation and observe public hunting once or twice next year.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 pm

AR Dave wrote:We're going to have to go to the Decoy Thread, I'm a little suprised at how many decoys y'all put out. That's like 120 and I read where y'all put a lot more than that out. Maybe that's the reason I don't get ducks. Is it like 100 to 1? :yes:

No, depending on where I hunt depends on the amount of decoys. I also base it on hunting pressure in that general area, how big the flocks of birds are in the area, and what kind of birds are in the area.
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum