Warm, nice jackets that don't break the bank

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Warm, nice jackets that don't break the bank

Postby Goose Doctors » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:12 pm

Hey guys I'm looking for a jacket for next year that doesn't break the bank but is warm (even if a layer or two may be needed), water proof, and windproof, with decently quiet material, and is in max 4 hd camo. I found this online, but the price seems too good to be true. http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/product/4734 ... %238482%3B Anyone have any recommendations? Also if you had one for sale in XL size that was slightly used I could be interested in that too, for the past few years Ive been using an extremely bulky woodland camo jacket from walmart. Looking to get something more ducky this year. thanks :beer:
Goose Doctors
hunter

Re: Warm, nice jackets that don't break the bank

Postby archerykid13 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:13 am

Considering the fact that Onyx is a brand under Arctic Shield, I'd have no problem buying that jacket. Arctic Shield makes great stuff, so I'm assuming that Onyx is some quality stuff for a great price.
archerykid13
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:43 am

Goose Doctors wrote:Hey guys I'm looking for a jacket for next year that doesn't break the bank but is warm (even if a layer or two may be needed), water proof, and windproof, with decently quiet material, and is in max 4 hd camo. I found this online, but the price seems too good to be true. http://www.onyxoutdoor.com/product/4734 ... %238482%3B Anyone have any recommendations? Also if you had one for sale in XL size that was slightly used I could be interested in that too, for the past few years Ive been using an extremely bulky woodland camo jacket from walmart. Looking to get something more ducky this year. thanks :beer:
What species are you hunting? Where? What type of cover? How cold does it get? Does it rain all the time?
I have a suggestion but would like to know more about what you do before I tell you need "product X".
The rain jacket looks like something a fisherman would use. A serious waterfowler...probably not.

There are so many options. The type of hunting you do determines what type of clothes you wear.
For instance if you hunt blinds that are already set up with decoys and you never wade...almost anything goes but if you're hunting timber and hiding by standing by trees everything is different. That rain jacket would work in a lot of situations but I noticed it's kind of shiny.

Think about something a little more like a wading jacket. Several companies make 4-in-1 wading jackets but they cost about 4-5 times what you want to spend. I highly recommend saving up for one of those. They are versatile and the people who designed them made them specifically for waterfowl hunters. They have shell loops in the pockets, special call pockets, waterproof pocket with a clip for you car keys,and phone etc. All sorts of special features including special tailoring in the sleeves to make it so you can shoot more easily without fighting the weight of the jacket.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby archerykid13 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am

^^ There needs to be an "Ask Aunt Betty" option on the forum!!! Hahaha
archerykid13
hunter

Postby mike.s » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:03 am

Goose Doctors wrote:Hey guys I'm looking for a jacket for next year that doesn't break the bank but is warm (even if a layer or two may be needed), water proof, and windproof, with decently quiet material, and is in max 4 hd camo. I found this...

"100% waterproof PVC outer shell" - that may not be very quiet.
mike.s
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:59 pm

I hunt in South eastern wisconsin, I do alot of hunting out of layout blinds and hunting shallow marshed with cat tails, tall grass, and some timber. Mainly just woodies, greenheads, and geese. I was thinking the pvc might be a little loud. I'm just looking for a jacket that I can be comfortable in that is windproof and waterproof. Usually I wear a cold gear long sleeve underarmor shirt and a sweatshirt under my jacket on the cold cold days, but on more milder days I would like a jacket I can wear a tshirt under and not be dripping in sweat either. thanks for the responses guys
Goose Doctors
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum