What influences you, videos or posted reviews, magazines?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

How do you buy

Video appearances
No votes
Online "amateur" reviews
58%
Comprehensive magazine rankings
42%

Total votes : 12

What influences you, videos or posted reviews, magazines?

Postby 20bolt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:34 pm

I am just curious how the online duck hunting community picks items to purchase?

Do you tend to purchase items you see pros and armatures using in your favorite videos
or
Do you go straight for reviews posted by individuals on sites like this
or
Do you read reviews in magazines?
Support Conservation Efforts
Hunters and non-hunters alike should support wilderness conservation by both personal actions like conserving natural resources, and by supporting the good work of institutions like Ducks Unlimited.
20bolt
hunter

Re: What influences you, videos or posted reviews, magazines

Postby rebelp74 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:00 pm

None of the above.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:55 am

rebelp74 wrote:None of the above.

X2

I get all the specifications on the products I'm interested in, compare the offerings from various manufacturers and models, then decide based on experience and logical deduction. Inputs/information from various forums are utilized in the narrowing-down process, but final decisions are mine and mine alone.
NOTE: For me, appearances of a product on videos tend to count AGAINST that item when it comes to considering a product.
mudpack
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:17 pm

same as mudpack
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:46 pm

None of the listed. Usually I've seen somebody else use it and I try to handle the item before I buy it, to see if it has the features I like, if its going to be durable, ETC. can also come down to price point, but I usually shop around a good bit and compare prices and buy it where its the cheapest.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:14 pm

X2. I look at what I need and find the one that fits me the best. I have found a lot the reviews that I have read/seen to be the complete opposite of what it turns out to be. I find that most reviews come from those complaining about the product not living up to expectations or a small defect of mass production.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:19 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

X2. I look at what I need and find the one that fits me the best. I have found a lot the reviews that I have read/seen to be the complete opposite of what it turns out to be. I find that most reviews come from those complaining about the product not living up to expectations or a small defect of mass production.

or they tend to be a hater of the brand producing the said product and write a bad review and they dont even own it, or they arent using it properly. Like when somebody says this decoys doesnt float and doesnt have any paint after I drug it for 3 miles down a gravel road, ran it over with my truck, and then rigged it up to hunt,
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:22 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

or they tend to be a hater of the brand producing the said product and write a bad review and they dont even own it, or they arent using it properly. Like when somebody says this decoys doesnt float and doesnt have any paint after I drug it for 3 miles down a gravel road, ran it over with my truck, and then rigged it up to hunt,

Or maybe the Benelli Cult?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:31 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Or maybe the Benelli Cult?

I drink the Kool Aid every open season morning and most afternoons. And it is good.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:Or maybe the Benelli Cult?

I drink the Kool Aid every open season morning and most afternoons. And it is good.

Didnt say they werent good. I own one and like it but its not the almighty gift of the shotgun gods like some people make them out to be.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:40 pm

It's not? Next you'll be telling us yours sometimes misses a bird.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Rick Hall wrote:It's not? Next you'll be telling us yours sometimes misses a bird.

Yep, but so does my Browning, Ithica, Remington, and Winchester.
jaysweet3 wrote:

The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 pm

2500hdon37s's post x2
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 am

I purchase on impulse and poor decisions. Just ask my wife. Snap on man came tonight as usual. My wife happened to pull in as he was unloading my new tool box. I walked onto the truck, seen it on there. Asked a trade in price on my current 2 boxes and cart. I then purchased on an impulse, and turned out....my wife thought it was a bad decision.

I am happy with it, was sick of tripping over my cart and walking to multiple boxes. Plus its bright colored.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog
t_baker
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:07 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I have met several haters. From my experience... the hater had a bad day because he did not read or misunderstood the directions. Sometimes it is poor translation and sometimes its just plain stupidity. For instance Drake pullovers. Have read tons of poor reviews on that product. I wonder how many of the haters washed the waterproofing out because they didnt read rhe tag...says hand wash in cold water and hang to dry. I found turning it inside out speeds dry time.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Steel Shot » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:02 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Some of the reviews are pretty entertaining. I once saw a review for the Daisy Cutter that said it sucked because every time they called it scared the ducks away.
Steel Shot
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 am

Steel Shot wrote:Some of the reviews are pretty entertaining. I once saw a review for the Daisy Cutter that said it sucked because every time they called it scared the ducks away.

Thanks for posting that. I've been afraid it was just me.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 am

t_baker wrote:I purchase on impulse and poor decisions. Just ask my wife. Snap on man came tonight as usual. My wife happened to pull in as he was unloading my new tool box. I walked onto the truck, seen it on there. Asked a trade in price on my current 2 boxes and cart. I then purchased on an impulse, and turned out....my wife thought it was a bad decision.

I am happy with it, was sick of tripping over my cart and walking to multiple boxes. Plus its bright colored.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog

I am not a mechanic by any means buy have a couple of friends that are and i still can not understand why tool boxes are so expensive, not to mention the total value with tools in them.
waterfowler9
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum