Brotha needs a warm coat

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Brotha needs a warm coat

Postby Penguine » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:03 pm

Need a warm coat in Max 4HD before 30 Sep. I am a fairly large man @ 6'4" 250lbs. So, any ideas? I looked at Cabelas, Bass Pro, even Wal-Mart. The local Scheels has one that is nice, if I were a midget. Why is that?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Your thoughts might keep me warm this season.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:20 pm

The Brush Tough 4 in 1 wader coat from cabelas is very warm. Wind, snow, rain, sleet, etc don't stand a chance. I've been very pleased with mine. Only downfall is that it can be a little bulkey.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:21 pm

Nice, but, umm, I forgot to say that it needs to be MAX 4. :oops:
Penguine
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:26 pm

The 2xx does come in max 4....?
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 pm

When I stopped by my local outfitter, he had a bunch of Drake 4 in 1s in XXL and XXL. He's a big boy, and caters to those of us who need something larger than a L. If you can't find one, I can get you his info.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:20 pm

i just bought this one and walking around the house got to be quite toasty... the one complaint i have is that the liner jacket doesnt quite fit me right, but i still have my bearsuit from the military so wont be a problem if it starts to bug me... if you havent been issued a bearsuit (the brown thick wool/whatever else is in it,) check to see if you can get one for 'work'... they are about as toasty as an underlayer as you can get :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am

jjohnson_714 wrote:i just bought this one and walking around the house got to be quite toasty... the one complaint i have is that the liner jacket doesnt quite fit me right, but i still have my bearsuit from the military so wont be a problem if it starts to bug me... if you havent been issued a bearsuit (the brown thick wool/whatever else is in it,) check to see if you can get one for 'work'... they are about as toasty as an underlayer as you can get :thumbsup:

We do get issued some great cold weather gear don't we!?! I really don't like the brown wool thing they issue though, way to prickly for me. I opted for the thin black longjohn type stuff. I have some great cold weather gloves issued also, not to sure if they are waterproof or not, and are a bit large to fit in to the trigger guard.

Thanks for posting that Cabelas parka. That one looks like a winner.

Keep the options coming though, it is much appreciated.

PEACE!
Penguine
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:23 am

we got issued cold weather underarmor... we used to get issued the fleece cold weather gear....but we just got the new digital gortex, and that is warm!!! :salude:
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:08 pm

cold weather underarmor!!!!??? geeze... casey was using one of my older gortex coats last year, but ive had to wash it so many times its not even close to being waterproof... im going to spray it with something though cause it sure it nice and broken in
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:12 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:geeze... casey was using one of my older gortex coats last year, but ive had to wash it so many times its not even close to being waterproof...

:laughing: :laughing:

And that is why I bought a new coat for this year! :toofunny:
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:40 pm

Nothin better than a drake 4-n-1.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:41 pm

jjohnson_714 wrote:i just bought this one and walking around the house got to be quite toasty... the one complaint i have is that the liner jacket doesnt quite fit me right, but i still have my bearsuit from the military so wont be a problem if it starts to bug me... if you havent been issued a bearsuit (the brown thick wool/whatever else is in it,) check to see if you can get one for 'work'... they are about as toasty as an underlayer as you can get :thumbsup:

So im not the only one that walks around in his duckhunting gear. :laughing:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Ive said it before and Ill say it again, whether anyone cares or not is another story. :tounge: But I like my columbia jacket and will not have anything else after having different brands beforehand.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Columbia

Postby Central FL Mike » Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:43 pm

I've used the Columbia Quad Parka for the past ten years or so. No complaints. I use it for deer hunting as much as waterfowl. I bought it at the reccomendation of my brother-in-law and have never looked back. It's been with me on below zero goose hunts in KY, twenty degree elk hunts in MN and seen plenty of use in thirty degree weather in southwest GA. When my wife started hunting and needed a jacket, she tried on as many different jackets as she could find. She picked the Quad over the others. Just my $.02
Gravity, It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Central FL Mike
Newb

Postby jjtroutkiller » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:24 pm

I have several of Cabela's Gore-tex items and you know it is a good product when the camo fades out long before the material or hardware. If they have one in your size my vote would be for the Cabela's.
jjtroutkiller
hunter

Postby ducman77 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:32 pm

Buy you a DRAKE 4 in 1 and you will be happy I promise. :salude:
DRAKE WATERFOWL SYSTEMS
ducman77
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:26 am

I bought a Columbia quad this year after wanting one for many years but I just wasn't willing to pay the price. Well, one day I was at Sportsmens Warehouse and they were having a red tag sale. The Columbia bibs and parkas were a hundre3d bucks off, so how could I pass on that? The thing that sold me on them is a buddy of mine had an old pair of bibs and the zipper messed up on them he called Columbia and asked if he could get a zipper they told him to send them in and they sent him a new pair. You just can't beat that kind of customer service. Since then he has had a couple of coats that have ripped or what have you and they have always just sent him a brand new one.
Chris
Vegetarian- Indian word for lousy hunter.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum