what do you do with your waders

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

what do you do with your waders

Postby TXHunter96 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:36 am

So after hunting, what do you do with your waders? Do you have a wader bag or do you just put them in the bed of your truck? my friend has a fancy bag so he can put them in his back seat. i was just wondering what y'all do.
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Re: what do you do with your waders

Postby SmilingDuck » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 am

www.hardingandsons.com Look at the duffel bag section best wader bag you can buy bullet proof.
SmilingDuck
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:39 pm

I have some boot hangers and put them on it in the mud room.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby Abomb » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:47 pm

TXHunter96 wrote:So after hunting, what do you do with your waders? Do you have a wader bag or do you just put them in the bed of your truck? my friend has a fancy bag so he can put them in his back seat. i was just wondering what y'all do.

So now your buddy has 2 items to dry when he gets home instead of just 1? Mine just go in the back of the truck for the ride home then hung in the laundry room to dry, when dry I roll them up and put them on the shelf next to my blind bag. They are breathable's and not neo.
Abomb
hunter

Postby TXHunter96 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I have some waders hangers and a Peet dryer, so mine just get stored hanging in my garage.
Deer, Ducks, Guns > School
TXHunter96
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Throw them in the back of the truck on the way home then they get hung up on waders hanger in the garage

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:53 pm

arumor-all the boots and hand them up by the boots in the storage room in the off season, in the truck to stay warm on the way to hunt, in the bed on the trip home.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby lamboicon » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Throw then in the bed of the truck then boot hanger and run the leaf blower up the legs for a few min
lamboicon
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:22 pm

Wear them home or throw them in the back of the truck if they are to muddy.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 am

The last day I keep em on, drive by a car wash in a nearby town. Wash truck, decoys, equip, and then turn the wan on my waders. Soap and water wash leaves them clean and smellin good too.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 am

My wader maintenance program is a bit more vigorous. Recall how I was camping all duck season.

I put mine in the sun by hanging them on the side of the boat so they can dry on the outside. If they're wet inside I'll turn 'em inside out and sun-dry them. If it's too cold, not sunny, raining, or snowing I do this all in the tent. Propane heat.

Then I get them ready for the morning so I can just slip right in and go. If I'm driving far I put them in the back seat so they stay dry. Can't imagine just tossing them into a bag every day. They'd be mildewed and nasty after a couple weeks of hunting daily.

Someone showed me there are propane boot-dryers. Gotta get me that!

At season's end I dry them on boot-dryer. Clean them good inside and out with soapy water, rinse, and dry them again. I spray mine down with Lysol and let that dry before storing.
Finally I put them into a clear plastic bag and put that into a rubbermaid storage tub. The reason I do all this is to keep ozone out. Ozone will eat the rubber in the boots. If you do like I do...your waders should last 5-7 years or more. Hunting 45-60 days a season. If you hunt less...think about it. My hip boots are from the 1980's and still look like new.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:34 am

Waders are the bane of my existence....
I laugh at how the manufacturers boast the armor tech fabric that will last forever, then the rubber rots out on the boot....
I was excited for the new "helicoil" or something fabric that LLBean had on their new waders, but then I read the reviews.
They said the inseam was totally not correct. Guys were saying that they can't kneel, sit cross legged, or even jump a creek because the inseam was so short.
I want a new, medium thick, neo wader for next season. Mine are gonna blow out any minute.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:05 pm

I have incredible luck at making my waders last. It's all about how you go thru the water. If you go charging after something like a bull...you might rip 'em or something. When you're wading...think like a hippo. Slip through the water as gently as you can. It's not about speed. I've stopped many times because I felt a stick or something about to poke me or felt something pulling. Use a walking stick in timber to help push logs and sticks out of the way.

Waders are NOT water armor but some companies advertise that they are.
aunt betty

Postby Abomb » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 pm

aunt betty wrote:I have incredible luck at making my waders last. It's all about how you go thru the water. If you go charging after something like a bull...you might rip 'em or something. When you're wading...think like a hippo. Slip through the water as gently as you can. It's not about speed. I've stopped many times because I felt a stick or something about to poke me or felt something pulling. Use a walking stick in timber to help push logs and sticks out of the way.

Ummm, Betty, are you replying to a diff. thread?
Abomb
hunter

Postby ulloa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:32 pm

Lightweight breathable waders make fishing much more comfortable and enjoyable for the wading fisherman. They can be expensive to replace,
ulloa
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:47 am

Abomb wrote:
aunt betty wrote:I have incredible luck at making my waders last. It's all about how you go thru the water. If you go charging after something like a bull...you might rip 'em or something. When you're wading...think like a hippo. Slip through the water as gently as you can. It's not about speed. I've stopped many times because I felt a stick or something about to poke me or felt something pulling. Use a walking stick in timber to help push logs and sticks out of the way.

Ummm, Betty, are you replying to a diff. thread?

Naw. Went to Idaho last nite. Aint been the same since...
aunt betty

Postby Willie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:43 am

Waders ride in the boat back to the house, and get hung up on the boot hanger when not in use.
Willie
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:57 pm

This is a very odd question. I put mine in the truck bed.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby sgtD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:11 pm

I either wear mine home or put them in the back of the truck. When I get to the house I hose the boots off and hang them in the basement. At the end of the season I clean them good and then when dry I fold them back up and put them in the original box they came in when I bought them in 2004. I have some old school Hodgman camo nylon and rubber chest waders with insulated boots. They really hold up well. My buddy is always patching his leaky neoprene waders. Mine have never had a leak yet.
sgtD
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am

sgtD wrote: I fold them back up and put them in the original box they came in when I bought them in 2004. .

Wader nerd....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
sgtD wrote: I fold them back up and put them in the original box they came in when I bought them in 2004. .

Wader nerd....

So am I! Take care of them and you don't have to buy new ones every year. Mine ride home in the back of the truck, then straight to the boot driers. At end of season, like above, I wash them off, completely dry, put them in the original box and store in the closet inside. I have had two pair of Ultimates in the last 15 years, my oldest sons ultimates are 6 years old, my youngest sons are 7 years old. We hunt a lot in crappy conditions like everyone else. Yep, I'm a wader nerd :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby sigpi906 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:19 pm

SmilingDuck wrote:http://www.hardingandsons.com Look at the duffel bag section best wader bag you can buy bullet proof.

Thanks for posting this SD. I'm gonna look into one.
I was told people wouldn't take me seriously without a signature.
sigpi906
hunter

Postby BDK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 am

I store mine on the Wader dryer. Inside my house wash after every outing partly cause I hunt in mudd. Pain my Ass but its my routine

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
BDK
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I have some boot hangers and put them on it in the mud room.

That's how I roll too :beer:
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Rubbermaid storage tubs are great for wader storage. I usually keep mine in a tub in the bed of the truck.

Ever get to the boat ramp and it's raining? You're trying to figure out how to put waders on without getting your socks wet? Use the lid off that storage tub. Get it? Plus your waders are dry because they were in the tub.

You have to remember to dry them and get them ready every day but it's a good habit to keep them in one of them tubs. You spent almost $200 or more...go spend ten more and get a storage tub for them. :thumbsup:
aunt betty

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum