building first floating blind need help!!!!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

building first floating blind need help!!!!

Postby ballard waterfowler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:00 pm

this year i am constructing a floating duck blind. the platform will be 6ft wide and 16ft long. a 3ft by 16ft section will be under roof that stands 5ft tall. the front 3ft by 16ft will be the shooting deck and a tarp will be hung to separate and hold in heat. on the back side there will be a 2ft walkway the length of the blind. this blind has to float so it can be moved in and out each year and it is located in a place where the water dept changes. it is completely constructed of wood. i am just not sure how to float this blind. i want to try to stay cheap but i want it to be stable for my youth hunters. thinking of 55 gallon plastic drums but i dont know how many it would take? any help and ideas ????
ballard waterfowler
Newb

Re: building first floating blind need help!!!!

Postby AR Dave » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:11 pm

I was really surprised when I put my 12x6 treated deck in the water. We could not lift that thing. Used a backhoe, then I sat on it and paddled, while my buddy pulled me from a canoe 1/4 mile to the site. I have ideas. Not sure I have pictures, with me. I made it to adjust with the water, but then went ahead and put it down permanently.

Basically it can slide up and down on 4x4 post, to whatever the water level is. But I go ahead and screw a lag bolt through an L bracket (attached to deck), into each post. It's as stable as a concrete floor.

Well here's a pic you can sorta see. The deck is at the level at which I floated it in last spring. 1 lag bolt, in each post, keeps it up. The water dried up in the summer and came back, this fall, to about right at deck level. If I unscrewed the lag bolts, it would drop.

IMG_1922.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:42 pm

10 barrels on a 16'. Barrels are roughly 3' long x 2' wide. But if you are planning a roof system Id make it at least 8' wide. 6' would be fine with no roof and shooters rising straight up to fire. But if your going to have 4-5 shooters jump forward to fire out of shhoting holes in the front side its going to really be rocking. Wear you life vests.......... :lol3:
POKER1
hunter

Postby imboray » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:55 am

im afraid with your plans your blind will rock back and forth quite a bit. If you do decide to go with barrels, it may sound weird but put some water in them for balance. we float ours on large styrofoam billets. the blind is 10 X 14. I posted a link of pics of ours on the other forum you posted this on, dont know if you saw it. This billets may be a little more exspensive, but they will last a lifetime, where as barrels get beat up in the ice. this is also the reason to avoid using pontoons from a pontoon boat, the aluminum will cave in in the ice & crack. Here is ours

http://www.fowlnation.com/m/photos/brow ... er/imboray
imboray
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:33 pm

You just gave me the idea for my next blind. Called my partner and told him I wanted the old abandoned Pontoon Boat, hanging from the side of some Cypress Trees. I'll build a blind on it, with drop down legs (like an oil platform). Trailer it anywhere we want, leave it, move it to where the ducks are coming in. Ice isn't a problem here. I'll be looking for something that already trailers anyway. Now to decide the layout and how to brush it in.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby ryan p09 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:49 am

I have 3 floating blinds in about 6-9 foot of water and we use stier foam blocks for flotation.... One of the blinds has been floating for 9 years with no worries! We put the stier foam under the floor and box it in with plywood as our floor and under the flotation then wrap a felt diaper around the bottom for extra protection... Then I drive old drill pipe into the mud about 8 with a post driver at each end of the blind and wrap a chain from the blind around the drill pipe for when the water level drops and raises the blind just floats up and down on the poles... Also think about a covered boat slip on back of blind so the boat is completely hidden.. Hope this helps
Muddy Water Camo Field-Staff
Jeb's Head Hunter Choke Tubes Pro-Staff
ryan p09
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am

I would try to find an old pontoon boat if you could rip out all the old stuff and build from the frame. It may cost a little more but it will be a hell lot more sturdy and reliable than plastic jugs, just saying.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:41 pm

id get every guy you plan to hunt with in that blind and TRY to tip it.....(in the summer)...you need a much larger platform than the box itself, it's a scarey thing when all of you stand and lean to shoot and the entire thing starts rolling forward.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:58 pm

I hunted in a floating blind at a place called Hood Lake Hunt Club.
Their blind would hold 5 or 6. It was about 6' deep by 18' long. Maybe 20'.
The base was larger on the front and back. I want to say it's 12' x 18-20'.
There was a 4' deck on the back so to speak. 2-footer on the front for dogs to sit on.
Under the base is billets of foam like a previous poster mentioned.
The blind is very stable and sturdy but never leaves the place it's at. Goes up and down with the water and is chained up to some cypress trees.

The blue barrel idea is no good. The reason. If only one barrel gets a hole or cracks...you are gunna be re-doing a lot of work or just dealing with the leaning duck-blind of Pizza. :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby to be blind » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Try floating it on encapsulated dock floatation. The Corp has changed their requirement on how high docks have to be above the water line. I just built a raft for my kids using old 4' x 6' floatation that was 8" thick. Dock owners had to remove it to comply with the new higher requirements. you can use the thinner floatation for your use. I got my floatation free from someone who had to replace their floatation.
to be blind
Newb

Postby AR Dave » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 am

Going to set this up in the Cypress Trees. Not sure how I'm going to stabilize it.

IMG_1896 - Copy.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum