Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby McalpinG » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:55 am

Hey guys and gals I am new to the site and forum and I am wondering everyones thoughts on the Sitka Waterfowl gear. I am a pro staffer for Sitka and would love to have feedback from people who used the products last season. All comments are appreciated.
McalpinG
Newb

Re: Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby kruse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't own any of there products. I would like to. But in my opinion I think it is over priced. But what I have heard fom others its pretty nice gear. But to rich for my blood. Make the price more Reasonable I would be buying it. That my 2 cents.
kruse
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Overpriced...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm

I think Sitka gear is good quality stuff, however, I think there are plenty of other quality options that are much more reasonably priced. Sitka prices are ridiculous.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby 1morepin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Marketshare, Marketshare, Marketshare....... Sitka could own the market if their price points were reasonably close to Columbia and other brands. In order for Sitka to survive, you need to get reasonably close to what WE the regular hunting public can afford. If not, I'll be looking for your products in the Cabelas closeout section. Brutal but true.
You do not need a parachute to skydive…You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
1morepin
hunter

Postby jbutler002 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:23 pm

I bought the Duck Oven late this season and only got to use it once and it kept me very warm. That said as most have said on here it is very expensive and I wouldn't have got it if I had to pay full price.
jbutler002
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Other products on the market with same quality for a lot less coin. Actually kind of sad, but one could actually debate a new hunting suit or a brand new semi-auto for the same price. Personally, $400+ for a garment is offensive.
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:59 pm

I own a lot of their stuff now. I got a few pieces to try over this past season and loved the stuff. I 100% agree that it is overall too pricey though. I think that hunters out there will most likely see the price difference and look elsewhere.

I waited until after the season and got almost all my stuff 30% to 40% off. At those prices, it was worth it to me and I must say, I love the items I have bought! One of the best features is that if you are an XL, you are an XL and buy everything in an XL. It is meant to be layered in the sizing so no worrying about if you should buy an XL in this and an XXL in that.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:27 am

My brother, who sometimes has more disposable cash than active brain cells bought some Sitka clothing this past hunting season and loves it. The concept of the "system" is good (especially for big game hunting) where each different component fulfills a specific need and does it very well. However, like the other responses above the pricing is very prohibitive for those of us that only have sufficient funds for "good" gear like Columbia, Browning, etc. I looked at and tried on some Sitka waterfowl gear and quite frankly found the Dirty Bird insulated jacket to be as good if not better for less than half the price. Matter of fact I bought the Dirty Bird and a month's worth of ammo for half of the price of just the Sitka parka.

Again, another brutal but honest assessment.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:48 am

I'm too cheap to pay your prices. I can't afford to even try your product.
Are you getting the kind of information that you expected?
Were you hoping everyone would say, "it's great at even twice the price"?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby kbooger » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:16 am

suppose it could be they are only targeting the richest of hunters...I guess that could be the business model.

I don't own any filson stuff either, for the same reason. I don't see the advantage to spending a bunch more money, when I don't have to.
kbooger
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 am

kbooger wrote:I don't own any filson stuff either, for the same reason. I don't see the advantage to spending a bunch more money, when I don't have to.

Not hijacking the thread but some Filson clothing actually makes economical sense in that the stuff lasts for years & generations. I have a few Filson shirts that have outlasted stuff from Woolrich, Columbia and other good brands and are still going strong...and their upland chaps seem to be indestructable.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 am

kbooger wrote:suppose it could be they are only targeting the richest of hunters...I guess that could be the business model.

McalpinG, I would be interested in your response to kbooger if you don't mind. I have also wondered why the Sitka gear is that expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sitka gear and it is awesome but I for sure wouldn't buy it at retail prices. So why is it so expensive? Are they targeting only the richest of hunters?

Overall, I 100% agree with 1morepin, if Sitka came down in their base prices, they really could own the market!
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby kbooger » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 am

apexhunter wrote:
kbooger wrote:I don't own any filson stuff either, for the same reason. I don't see the advantage to spending a bunch more money, when I don't have to.

Not hijacking the thread but some Filson clothing actually makes economical sense in that the stuff lasts for years & generations. I have a few Filson shirts that have outlasted stuff from Woolrich, Columbia and other good brands and are still going strong...and their upland chaps seem to be indestructable.

to be fair I've never owned any but I don't hunt enough to justify it - use my upland vest 3-4 times/yr bought it for $40, filson one is somewhere in the $140-200 range.

Actually got some columbia briar pants for about $50 that are great, again the amount I use them I can't justify spending more on filson.

And maybe my comparison isn't very good with filson, their quality is legendary. Sitka, I have no idea of their quality.
kbooger
hunter

Postby McalpinG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 am

I want to thank everyone for their comments! I can understand the concern over the price of gear. I can only respond with Sitka is making this gear out of the best materials in the world and made to the highest quality it can. In a world with many choices to choose from it is the consumers right to choose what gear works for them the best. I have always believed in the fact that you get what you pay for and that goes with anything from cars to fishing poles. As an avid outdoorsman, I spend many a day in the field both waterfowl and big game hunting and I have yet to find gear that rivals the quality and engineering that Sitka Gear offers. They go above and beyond with the thought that goes into the products. The way the systems are made are changing the way we dress as hunters using materials that preform the way outdoorsman need them to. Hunters are pushing the limits harder and farther than ever before and this gear is made to compliment that. Again I appreciate ALL comments and I am in no way trying to persuade you into a gear choice. I am only looking for feedback from the everyday hunters so that I can help Sitka become the best gear builder in the world. I will pass on the feedback and again thanks for your time.
McalpinG
Newb

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 am

Thanks for the answer :beer:

Do you know of any new pieces in the mix for next year? I know there have been a few posts here about the possibility of getting Optifade waders at some point.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby McalpinG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:58 pm

aclumpkin I have heard from many people the request for waders and I KNOW Sitka has heard the same thing. I don't think it will be something for next year but it could be around in the future.
McalpinG
Newb

Postby Call'em N » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 pm

aclumpkin wrote:Thanks for the answer :beer:

Do you know of any new pieces in the mix for next year? I know there have been a few posts here about the possibility of getting Optifade waders at some point.

We will have a few new pieces out for 2013.

Neck gator will be offered in all 3 camo patterns - Silky smooth and lined with double-thick, high-pile fleece, our neck gator will keep your neck toasty from the tree stand to the layout blind.
KEY FEATURES:
• 4-Way Stretch
TECHNOLOGY: Anti-Microbial Treatment
FABRIC DETAILS: Super Stretch
Polyester Knit, Microfiber Fleece,
Brushed on the Inside

Core Zip T in Optifade marsh.

Newly redesigned face mask

The Boreal Jacket delivers the perfect balance of minimum layers and maximum endurance for wintry late season conditions
in the marsh. An integrated GORE-TEX® membrane and body mapped 650 fill down shelter your core from the weather
no matter how bitterly cold it gets. Seamlessly wear this jacket over the Traverse or Core for all day comfort. Enjoy the mobility
needed to swing and shoot.
KEY FEATURES:
• 2 Chest Pockets, 2 Shell Pockets
• 2 Hand Warmer Pockets
• Fully Adjustable, Rotating Hood
• Articulated Patterning
• Water Sealing Cuffs
TECHNOLOGY: 650 Fill Down Insulation, GORE-TEX® Laminate
FABRIC DETAILS: 75 Denier Polyester/Plain Weave with Mechanical Stretch

No waders for the 2013 line up.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Any optifade waterfowl hoodies?
TRL91
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Call'em N wrote:Core Zip T in Optifade marsh.

I have the Traverse in Optifade Marsh. What would be the advantage on having the Core in Optifade Marsh? Isn't the Traverse the outerwear piece?

I figured when I was looking at the lineup that you pick either the Merino Core or the Core product and then layer it with the Traverse stuff.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Oh, and if y'all are looking for recommendations, a Kelvin Lite pant would be REALLY nice for under waders here in NC. The Kelvin pant is a little too much here for most hunts.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:21 pm

When will waders be out?
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:18 pm

Over priced for sure.

TEXAS
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Dedduc » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I have more then a few pieces of Sitka gear and I have no complaints about any of it! Traverse, Duck Oven, Pantanal bibs all great stuff!! The Kelvin coat and pants are awesome! Getting ready to order a Delta coat or a Pantanal coat here real soon. Sitting here typing in my Ascent pants right now.....keep up the great work Sitka !! :thumbsup:
Dedduc
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:21 pm

Dedduc wrote:Getting ready to order a Delta coat or a Pantanal coat here real soon.

You will not be disappointed, they are really nice coats. I like how the Pantanal goes well with the bibs and the number of pockets it has.

The only thing that surprised me about the Delta is how thin it is. It surely is just a rain coat. The Dakota vest doesn't have Primaloft in it but it does have Windstopper so it has a little thickness. The Delta is thinner than the Dakota and I wore it on a day with high wind with not much under it and I sure felt the wind. That said, it does what it is supposed to do very well... keep you dry in heavy rain and it keeps the bottom part of the coat out of the water when wading.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum