Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby Frylock » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Yuchi1 wrote:BTW, I have no bias for or against Sitka apparel.

However, for a garment to be manufactured in a country long known for "sub-par" craftsmanship and yet be advertised as "premium" quality seems to be somewhat of an oxymoron.

Can't argue with that.
Frylock
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:02 pm

You can't see me. I'm wearing Sitka gear. Lol! I shot two limits of mallards over the last two weekends wearing a mix of camo with none of it Sitka. I was warm dry and richer because of it.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby sim559 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 pm

A review from a customer that bought a Sitka Gear System
Here is a list of items: Incinerator hat, jacket and bib, Core bottom and top, Traverse bottom and top, neck gator, balaclava face mask, and Stratus gloves.
Was hunting for 7 days with others in -30 with snow falling some of the time. Had a warm cabin to stay in overnight.
His remarks “Stayed warm and dry, Sitka Gear fit trim. Others that were wearing other brands, looked like puff balls. His only problem were Stratus gloves conducted the cold to his hand and he wished Sitka Gear made socks”.
So when hunting in the cold , use layers and the right outer wear for the conditions and have a good hunt
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:23 pm

My beer gut can't fit inside that tapered Sitka vest I bought.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 pm

sim559 wrote:Stratus gloves conducted the cold to his hand

That is really my only complaint against all of the Sitka Gear... their gloves. I have the merino wool liners and the Optifade Traverse gloves. The merino liners are ok but the Traverse gloves aren't overly warm and don't get them wet at all, they are a real pain to dry out. I have not tried the Decoy gloves though. Overall, the gloves are below average in my opinion and I will definitely look elsewhere for gloves until Sitka comes out with better options.
Some people just need a high-five.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby bighop » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:42 am

Anyone used the Delta jacket over a duck oven? What did you think?

I have a duck oven, but I'm looking for a lighter, waterproof layer. If I could use the Delta over the duck oven on really cold, wet days, that's even better.

Someone said earlier it doesn't matter if you're down in TX and it's 60deg, but I'd say the layering matters a lot more down here when a hunt starts at 29deg and ends at 65deg, and sometimes vice versa. Windblocking is also really important on those 30mph trips across the bay in an airboat with salt spray....
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby Luvbowhuntn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:30 am

sim559 wrote:A review from a customer that bought a Sitka Gear System
Here is a list of items: Incinerator hat, jacket and bib, Core bottom and top, Traverse bottom and top, neck gator, balaclava face mask, and Stratus gloves.
Was hunting for 7 days with others in -30 with snow falling some of the time. Had a warm cabin to stay in overnight.
His remarks “Stayed warm and dry, Sitka Gear fit trim. Others that were wearing other brands, looked like puff balls. His only problem were Stratus gloves conducted the cold to his hand and he wished Sitka Gear made socks”.
So when hunting in the cold , use layers and the right outer wear for the conditions and have a good hunt

This amazes me..... You could buy a Belgium Sweet 16 and a Belgium 20for what you'd have in clothes that you wear 60 days out of the year. Give me the shotguns every time. Long after those clothes are faded away and gone those guns will still be going strong

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Real cowboys say the party never ends and the road goes on and on
Luvbowhuntn
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:28 am

bighop wrote:Anyone used the Delta jacket over a duck oven? What did you think?

I have a duck oven, but I'm looking for a lighter, waterproof layer. If I could use the Delta over the duck oven on really cold, wet days, that's even better.

Someone said earlier it doesn't matter if you're down in TX and it's 60deg, but I'd say the layering matters a lot more down here when a hunt starts at 29deg and ends at 65deg, and sometimes vice versa. Windblocking is also really important on those 30mph trips across the bay in an airboat with salt spray....

I own and use both. Here is what I do (my layers): 1. Merino wool uppers and lowers, 2. Traverse uppers and lowers, 3. Kelvin Pants and Duck Oven jacket (if I need them). Then I put my waders on over all of that. I always throw either my Delta or Hudson in the truck / blind bag. If if starts to rain or I need extra layers, I just put either on. Early season in NC, I leave the Hudson at home and the Delta is always in my bag. I have hunted before with no Duck Oven and just had the Traverse top and waders over it before. Works great for the early season. I still will throw in my Delta Wading jacket in case it rains.

One nice thing about Sitka imo is that whatever size you are, you are. What I mean is that I am an XL. So everything I buy is an XL. Therefore, I am not buying XL Traverse stuff and then having to buy a XXL Hudson to fit over it. The entire clothing line is designed so that an XL Hudson will fit over and XL Traverse and XL Duck Oven. I plenty of times had on (for my upper body), the merino wool top, Traverse top, Duck Oven, and Hudson jacket and absolutely do not feel like a huge marshmallow that cannot move. One of the big reasons I really like Sitka gear... it all fits together so well.

Sorry for the minor rambling. To answer your question, all of the pieces in the Sitka Gear waterfowl line work extremely well together.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:35 am

Oh, and from my experience, here is how I rate / rank the different jackets with how warm they are. If it is around freezing out:
- I can wear the Delta as an outer shell and be ok as long as I have a some other layers underneath.
- I can wear the Hudson with one or two layers underneath and be very warm.
- I can wear the Kelvin jacket (technically a layer jacket but I have worn as an outer jacket before) with a t-shirt underneath and while sitting still I am very toasty. Start to move around, I start to sweat. It is one extremely warm jacket and probably needs to be used for only people who have problems staying warm or for hunts up north where is gets much colder than in the teens like in NC.
In the face.
With a chair.
aclumpkin
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum