Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Re: Thoughts on Sitka Water fowl gear

Postby Call'em N » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm

TRL91 wrote:Any optifade waterfowl hoodies?

Oops forgot that one. We will have a Traverse Hoodie. We already offer a standard Cotton Black Hoodie with the Sitka logo.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:37 pm

aclumpkin wrote:
Call'em N wrote:Core Zip T in Optifade marsh.

I have the Traverse in Optifade Marsh. What would be the advantage on having the Core in Optifade Marsh? Isn't the Traverse the outerwear piece?

I figured when I was looking at the lineup that you pick either the Merino Core or the Core product and then layer it with the Traverse stuff.

The Core is our recommend Base (next to skin) layer. The Core basically pulls micro beads of sweat away from your skin allowing for rapid evaporation. The traverse is our initial insulation layer to be placed over the Core or Merino to add to your first layer of warmth.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby sim559 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:27 pm

Here are my thoughts:
I know the price is high but many items sell out fast. Production is complicated and the material and design that go into making this gear is also expensive and time consuming. The results are in the how good these preform in the field. For many years I would come back wet and cold or quit sooner than I wanted too. Not any more. I am not rich but I buy the best and sell only the best. The out come is a product that last and preforms the way it should not once but many times. You really get what you pay for.
Kind of like a chainsaw buy a cheap one and make it work hard and it makes you work hard too. One or both of you will brake very quickly. Spend the money on a good saw with power and you can work it hard and it will not work you hard. I know this as I have been using and repairing chainsaw for more than 40 years. I have been using wood for heat for the last 40 years. I also sell Husqvarna and Jonsered Saws. I believe in vertical integration. I know what works and what does not and how to fix what is broken. I know Sitka Gear works and so does Husqvarna and Jonsered Chainsaws.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby TRL91 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm sorry but we are talking about a hunting garment here. Almost $500 for bibs is ridiculous. You get what you pay for is one thing but in the case of Sitka, a sucker is born every minute. If you honestly believe a garments materials manufactured in china is worth that much, well I really don't know what to say.
TRL91
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:43 am

TRL91 wrote:I'm sorry but we are talking about a hunting garment here. Almost $500 for bibs is ridiculous. You get what you pay for is one thing but in the case of Sitka, a sucker is born every minute. If you honestly believe a garments materials manufactured in china is worth that much, well I really don't know what to say.

I mean why not make it $1,000? It's the "best" right?

Well I guess I'll never know. :lol3:
kbooger
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:00 am

will it is a wild world out there and the items you are wearing may make the difference in surviving in this wild world. As a lot of good things turn bad and it is hard to get by on a smile.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:47 am

The fact of the matter is because it is so expensive people fall into the marketing hype that this must be the best because it is the most expensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure sitka makes great stuff as I have a few accessories but I do not for a second believe it is worth paying double compared to other garments. I would put any of sitka's garments up against the leading 5 star garment on Cabela's website and I'm sure it would preform just as good for half the coin.
TRL91
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:00 am

Hi
this sounds like fun
Please name a few at half the coin. I will check to see what i have on hand that compares. then buy the half coin item and test it against Sitka's item
please send links. I will get back before I buy to make sure it is a good comparison.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:52 am

sim559 wrote:Hi
this sounds like fun
Please name a few at half the coin. I will check to see what i have on hand that compares. then buy the half coin item and test it against Sitka's item
please send links. I will get back before I buy to make sure it is a good comparison.

Geez, getting pretty defensive there aren't you? I guess I would expect that from someone who runs ads for Sitka and sells there gear on this site. Well then lets get to the fun.
A quick trip over to Cabelas, a simple click on waterfowl clothing, and filter for 4-5 star ratings.
Of the 22 items that have a 4 star rank or higher, Sitka only has one product that meets 4 stars which are the bibs.
Of just bibs, every other bib ranks higher then the Sitka pair.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/c ... _stype=GNU
TRL91
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Lets keep this train rolling. A quick stroll over to Mackspw reveals bibs ranked just as high as the Sitka's for WAY less!

http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Hunting-Bibs--m-508

How about insulated hunting jackets, several different brands have the same rating. And guess what? for WAY less!

http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Insula ... ets--m-822

Lets give the waterproof jackets a little love, a lot of different brands and styles with same rating or higher. wait for it... for WAY less!

http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Waterp ... ets--m-821

Let's just cover everything, after looking at gloves other brands have just as good rating or higher... for WAY less!

http://www.mackspw.com/ItemList--Hunting-Gloves--m-377

And last but not least, hats. And you guessed it, higher rating for...WAY less!

Now let's hear your great explanation on why these ratings are irrelevant or why people from all around the country went through the trouble of spreading lies on hunting stores.Tell us why Sitka is still better. Isn't customer reviews and ratings the most important thing for a companies product? People were just giving opinions on what they thought about the product and EVERYONE agreed it was way to expensive. Once again, I said Sitka is a nice product but in my opinion, and apparently others from around the country, there are other alternatives just as good for WAY less. It's aholes like you that come on these forums and try and make a buck off of people while shoving your product and your views down their throats. This is a forum meant to discuss gear, regardless of whether its good or bad to help other hunters make their decisions. If you don't like it, then go sell your stuff on fleabay.
TRL91
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:50 pm

TRL91 wrote:

LOL the only thing I notice is that A) The Cabela's jacket has a good rating, B) It's $100 cheaper. Once again, yes I think the Pantanal jacket is nice. Do I think it is better then the Cabela's jacket and worth the $100 more price tag? Absolutely not.

You are taking this bit more then I wanted to. One problem is time and it is now summer. I can test the water proof for wind and rain and how they fit and move with the wearer. I can also check the stitching, number of pockets, linings, and how user friendly they are. So the links that I posted are the 2 jackets that i will compare. Is this ok with you?
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby Seabass77 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:57 pm

As soon as gore licenses optifade to other manufacturers, the price will come down. The question is whether or not Sitka has an exclusive or semi exclusive license.
Seabass77
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:08 pm

sim559 wrote:
TRL91 wrote:

LOL the only thing I notice is that A) The Cabela's jacket has a good rating, B) It's $100 cheaper. Once again, yes I think the Pantanal jacket is nice. Do I think it is better then the Cabela's jacket and worth the $100 more price tag? Absolutely not.

You are taking this bit more then I wanted to. One problem is time and it is now summer. I can test the water proof for wind and rain and how they fit and move with the wearer. I can also check the stitching, number of pockets, linings, and how user friendly they are. So the links that I posted are the 2 jackets that i will compare. Is this ok with you?

First of all you sell their gear so your opinion is extremely biased. Secondly, a head to head test is completely unnecessary. Why would I want YOUR opinion when I can read all the reviews I want from many unbiased consumers? I mean come on get real, thats like a company only letting their pro staff make positive ratings for an item on their website and allowing no others reviews. Essentially, that's what your doing. If I were a pro staffer for a certain manufacturer and I said I was going to do a test on the garment which sponsors me and I make a living selling compared to some other garment what would you say? My findings would be worth absolute sh*t, completely biased and opinionated. So answer me this, why is your opinion more credible then the tons of consumer reviews from various stores on the web?
TRL91
hunter

Postby Call'em N » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Seabass77 wrote:As soon as gore licenses optifade to other manufacturers, the price will come down. The question is whether or not Sitka has an exclusive or semi exclusive license.

Beretta is licensed to use Optifade Marsh. They offer it on their A400 and also have their own line of Waterfowl Clothing.

Sitka Gear is not for everyone and we completly understand that one of the biggest concerns is price. We appreciate your Positive and Constructive comments.
Call'em N
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:07 pm

First of all you sell their gear so your opinion is extremely biased. Secondly, a head to head test is completely unnecessary. Why would I want YOUR opinion when I can read all the reviews I want from many unbiased consumers? I mean come on get real, thats like a company only letting their pro staff make positive ratings for an item on their website and allowing no others reviews. Essentially, that's what your doing. If I were a pro staffer for a certain manufacturer and I said I was going to do a test on the garment which sponsors me and I make a living selling compared to some other garment what would you say? My findings would be worth absolute sh*t, completely biased and opinionated. So answer me this, why is your opinion more credible then the tons of consumer reviews from various stores on the web?

I would be comparing design and function . Not my feelings. You would be the one to decide if this feature is better or worse then the same feature on the other item. I would have photos and video so you can judge for your self. As a ton of reviews are just a ton of reviews. What worked for them may not work for you. Try looking at the 1 star reviews. I put more weight on these then I do on the 5 star ones. As this person found something that all others overlooked.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:37 pm

sim559 wrote:First of all you sell their gear so your opinion is extremely biased. Secondly, a head to head test is completely unnecessary. Why would I want YOUR opinion when I can read all the reviews I want from many unbiased consumers? I mean come on get real, thats like a company only letting their pro staff make positive ratings for an item on their website and allowing no others reviews. Essentially, that's what your doing. If I were a pro staffer for a certain manufacturer and I said I was going to do a test on the garment which sponsors me and I make a living selling compared to some other garment what would you say? My findings would be worth absolute sh*t, completely biased and opinionated. So answer me this, why is your opinion more credible then the tons of consumer reviews from various stores on the web?

I would be comparing design and function . Not my feelings. You would be the one to decide if this feature is better or worse then the same feature on the other item. I would have photos and video so you can judge for your self. As a ton of reviews are just a ton of reviews. What worked for them may not work for you. Try looking at the 1 star reviews. I put more weight on these then I do on the 5 star ones. As this person found something that all others overlooked.

There is no getting to you is there? How many time's do I have to say it? Sitka makes nice products and I'm sure there features and functionality are nice as well. The point I'm trying to make is they are over priced, jackets just as good can be had for less. For you to sit here and say that reviews have no weight or that everyone that likes them is wrong and overlooked issues is ridiculous. There is reviews online that are bad on Sitka gear. Does that mean all the positive is meaningless because they overlooked problems? I would be embarrassed to be on this forum if I were you. Your mentality is think like me or p*ss off. How many guys from this thread alone said they were over priced? And for the record, I agree with the one guys post earlier. Sitka WOULD DOMINATE the market if they were the same price as competitors. Personally, I think Sitka makes nice clothing, looks cool, and is thought out nicely. But like I and many others have said, after all it is a jacket, WAY over priced and similar jackets just as good can be had for less.
TRL91
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Also FWIW, I really like the looks of Optifade Marsh. If Sitka was in the $$$ range of Cabela's I would buy a whole new set.
TRL91
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Honestly how many guys you hear pay 500 bucks for a jacket and say ehhh that redhead kept me just as warm. I don't get wet or cold in my 100 dollar coat why the heck would I pay 300+

Sent from the X
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm

I am a camo junkie, I have lots of Cabelas and Bass Pro and Macks prarie wings. Have not bought sitka yet, but all my other stuff performs just fine. I bought on sitka waterfowl beanie, the camo pattern is neat but I dont like the design. I hope others can start producing in that camo pattern otherwise I have no desire for that over priced gear.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:10 pm

And if you got enough $ laying around to buy jackets and test them, send that Sitka my way and I'll give you an honest review :tongue:
TRL91
hunter

Postby kbooger » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:46 pm

18javelin wrote:Honestly how many guys you hear pay 500 bucks for a jacket and say ehhh that redhead kept me just as warm. I don't get wet or cold in my 100 dollar coat why the heck would I pay 300+

Sent from the X

Agreed.

Hell half the time I don't even wear a jacket. A sweatshirt and/or long sleeve T works fine on days where it's in the 40s. And if it is raining all your stuff is getting wet, sure you can stay dry with a waterproof jacket and pants but if it is raining I'm not to fired up to go out and hunt anyways.
kbooger
hunter

Postby sim559 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:34 pm

This is the problem is, I am not saying sitka is better. All I wanted to do was to find the difference and then let you decide if the difference justifies the extra money.
Our money is not worth very much these days. In 1966 you could have bought a brand new Mustang with a V8 ,8 track player and auto 3 speed tranny for 2,450.00 Today you can buy a new Jonsered 2188W chainsaw with 28 inch bar 1,450.00. this has way fewer parts weighs ton and 3/4 less give or take a ton and all it can do is cut wood. It is not going to get any better.
All the hunting we do for sport will change into hunting for survival. Have you tried to buy any ammo lately? Start with the 22 rim fire. Let me know if you find any.
sim559
DHC Sponsor

Postby TRL91 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:47 pm

We have .22 around here, handgun ammo is scarce though.
TRL91
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum