Banded clothing

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Banded clothing

Postby garza7585 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:42 pm

So I am going to be a guineau pig and try some of their stuff out. I know I know... Chad Belding or Balding Choad, whatever you guys call him. I don't really care. I'm indifferent about the guy and would lean towards the 'not a fan' side.

With that said, Keith Allen seems like a cool dude, and a place was closing out their stuff after waterfowl season. I purchased a fleece zip-up and a 'water-proof' soft shell parka for about 40% off. I figured what the heck...

My fishing season is starting soon and i'll be using the stuff throughout the season and I figure i'll test it out and let you guys know how it goes.

Until then, im waiting for it to come in the mail. Anyone else try it last season?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
garza7585
hunter

Re: Banded clothing

Postby garza7585 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

Here is an update:

I've had the jackets for a little less than a month. I've only really used the fleece jacket, I don't remember what its called, but I really dig it.

As far as the fleece goes, It is really comfortable and light. The material is really thin, but it does what it is advertised to do. The zippers are nice and tight. The fleece material they use seems like it has spandez or a like material incorparated into it because it stretches which is nice in case the fit is a little tight due to underlayers. It has a call pocket on the chest with a zipper that I found very useful to store my phone when i'm fishing and I have bibs on. The pockets are deep and fleece line and super warm suprisingly. The collar it tall which is nice because when fully zipped it goes all the way up to your chin/ears to keep your neck warm.

Drawbacks: I had one little seam split by the call pocket zipper. There is a small 1/2" hole. I sewed it up to keep it from getting bigger. Thats no good. With that being said though, i've had Drake stuff do the same thing. My Drake blind bag has seams split around the zippers and thermos holder. I've used it one season.

The other drawback and I don't know why they made them this way, but the cuffs on the jacket are super loose. My Cabela's and Drake tops all have some type of cuff system to make it tighter. I like that. The Banded fleece doesn't have that. The outer rain shell does, but the fleece jacket doesn't.

As far as use, i've used it for the past couple weeks walleye fishing in Michigan. Yeah I know it's not hunting but as far as weather goes, early spring walleye fishing on the Detroit River, gives similar weather to October/November hunting. The weather up here as been COLD and windy and wet. What I love about this jacket is that it does what it is supposed to. It cuts wind, and keeps you very warm. This whole walleye season, i've fished in nothing but a UA base layer and a long sleeve t-shirt with this jacket. I take that back, I wore a hoodie underneath when the morning temps were just above freezing. The wind has been rippin and the temps have barely gotten over 40. This fleece has been a joy to wear out on the water this season and I like it very much, which makes the brand name and the person asscociated with the brand, irrelevant.

I don't know who the new guys are running the show, but I like what they're doing with the brand. And I know it has only been a month. If this stuff starts to suck, i'll let you know. I have a rain parka as well that i'm curious about but I haven't really needed it.

But so far so good. What makes it even better is that I didn't pay full price for it. Midway USa had a smokin sale going on that I couldn't pass up.

I'll report later.
garza7585
hunter

Postby Fowlweather_13 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:21 am

I have been wanting to try the Banded wader Boots any news on them?
Fowlweather_13
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:37 am

How bout NO scotty......
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:36 am

My wife bought a black hoodie for me last christmas. It was the wrong one, it came with a note that they were out of the one she ordered so they shipped one they had & it is the thinnest material of any hoodie i have. :mad: that's my only experence with banded gear.
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am

O.D.Lid wrote:My wife bought a black hoodie for me last christmas. It was the wrong one, it came with a note that they were out of the one she ordered so they shipped one they had & it is the thinnest material of any hoodie i have. :mad: that's my only experence with banded gear.

I can only hope that you're joking.....
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby garza7585 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:30 pm

The fleece pullover is super thin but it works really well... Blocks wind and is super warm and comfy... I wear it pretty much every day...

An update on the waterproof shell:

Disappointing to say the least. The one good thing; very comfortable. Which is great. But after an 8 hour fishing trip today in a steady drizzle, the water seeped through the seams. It took a few hours to do so but nonetheless it did seep through. I'd still use it for hunting but for hard rainy days, I'll stick to my Cabela's brand gear.

There you have it gentlemen, my unbiased Banded review.
garza7585
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm

no i am not joking they really did send me/her what they had in stock! :no:
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 am

Very cheap stuff. Just another brand how I consider it. In the waterfowling industry you get what you pay for but in the case of Banded Gear you don't. Go with Drake or Columbia I've hunted in 30 degree temps on an all day sit with drake waders and eqwader quarter zip with freezing rain and stayed dry all day and comfortable. As for Columbia I have a full zip fleece that is great as well but not as good as Drake. Some people think it is paying for the name but just grab anything Drake and you will be very happy with your purchase.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby poorfowler3 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 pm

Best most comfortable breathable waders ever.
poorfowler3
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:56 pm

why would you support anything that has to do with this guy.......

Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:15 am

Agree! He is a poser in my opinion and I guarantee he doesn't scout for his birds, probably sits on the couch and waits on a call saying.... "We have birds you wanna rep. our hunt club"?!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:23 am

To add to that, I bet myself (group) and a lot of other groups out there could put him to shame just hunting like normal waterfowlers that put in the sweat equity or scout hard to be on that "X". It just drives me nuts the politics in the waterfowl industry but then again you'll get that with anything but seriously, I would like someone to give me the opportunity to travel the country and reimburse me for fuel, food, housing and pay for all my gear. Im sure that is what happens! Really, I wouldn't mind paying for any of it but I could prove that waterfowling is not about traveling the country waiting on calls then throwing the gear in a field and getting a limit everyday. There is more to hunting than that. Oklahoma Greenhead you got me all revved up! hahah
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby ccurtis90 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:14 am

Smoke,

Can you make it to Missouri for a hunt this year?
ccurtis90
Newb

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Black Smoke wrote:Agree! He is a poser in my opinion and I guarantee he doesn't scout for his birds, probably sits on the couch and waits on a call saying.... "We have birds you wanna rep. our hunt club"?!

Black Smoke wrote:To add to that, I bet myself (group) and a lot of other groups out there could put him to shame just hunting like normal waterfowlers that put in the sweat equity or scout hard to be on that "X". It just drives me nuts the politics in the waterfowl industry but then again you'll get that with anything but seriously, I would like someone to give me the opportunity to travel the country and reimburse me for fuel, food, housing and pay for all my gear. Im sure that is what happens! Really, I wouldn't mind paying for any of it but I could prove that waterfowling is not about traveling the country waiting on calls then throwing the gear in a field and getting a limit everyday. There is more to hunting than that. Oklahoma Greenhead you got me all revved up! hahah

Couldnt have said it any better my self. anybody can look like a good waterfowler when other people are putting in all the time and effort to find the X.

Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Black Smoke wrote:Very cheap stuff. Just another brand how I consider it. In the waterfowling industry you get what you pay for but in the case of Banded Gear you don't. Go with Drake or Columbia I've hunted in 30 degree temps on an all day sit with drake waders and eqwader quarter zip with freezing rain and stayed dry all day and comfortable. As for Columbia I have a full zip fleece that is great as well but not as good as Drake. Some people think it is paying for the name but just grab anything Drake and you will be very happy with your purchase.

I know some of you guys love your Drake gear and glad to hear you've had good luck with it, but in my experience, it is some of the cheapest made crap on the market. I've owned Drake Waders that were not warm in the least and leaked from day 1, a so called 'waterproof' jacket that I would get soaked in whenever it rained, a fleece vest that the zipper broke after about 3 uses and a blind bag that the handle came unstitched after about half a dozen hunts. I will NEVER purchase another Drake product. I use Cabelas brand gear and have had good results and they will return anything you have that does not live up to your expectations, no questions asked.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby cue772 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 pm

Just got a pair of Banded waders through RC Hunting Store. I had them last season and returned them because the shin guards unraveled. They now have double stitching on the legs, but the hand pockets came apart the first time I slid my hands inside. Now I have to send these back.

Very disappointed with this company's lack of quality control. And it's too bad, because the wader design is really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cue772
hunter

Postby Ducks&Bucks07 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

I bought the soft shell hooded zip up and a vest for 75% off. They are actually nice clothing regardless of what I think of the belong clan. When it says water resistant though it means may stay slightly dry if the dog shakes water on you. Not meant for the rain. My drake and dirty bird stuff are much better but for 75% off it was worth the money. Wouldn't pay full retail though.
Ducks&Bucks07
hunter

Postby Sclf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I bought the uninsulated waders last year. They are well designed and comfortable. I'm not sure I like the way it has the pants leg over the boot. It seems to hold water thus making me work harder when I'm trimming through the marsh. It's like adding weights to your ankles. Anyway, they didn't last for 5 hunts before beginning to leak. I called banded and sent them back, they replaced them no problem which was good. I've had the new set on about 5 hunts this year and no probs yet.
The way I hunt, my gear gets tested! We walk at least 1/2 mile through the marsh most mornings. I need my gear to be comfortable and durable, I'll see if these hold up.
Sclf
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum