Anybody use gopros?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Anybody use gopros?

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri May 03, 2013 12:53 am

I recently got a gopro hero 3 silver edition. I was so pumped to finally get it and got 6 kills on camera this year. When i downloaded the film and watched however I was very disappointed! The turkeys look like they are 5 miles away even when they are within 30yds. Any of you guys use gopros? I need help!
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Re: Anybody use gopros?

Postby mudpack » Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 am

That's what has been happening since Kodak invented the Brownie Camera. Pictures/film/videos don't give you life-size results; they are about 1/20 life size. This means the ducks that were hammered at 35 yards look like they are 80 yards away when you view the vid. Only way to resolve is to zoom in when you are filming.
In other words, all cameras do it! Experience will teach you how to deal with it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Bloke » Fri May 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for the post. I was thinking about buying one. Think I will pass after reading this.
Make sure their toe nails are wet
Bloke
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Fri May 17, 2013 5:10 am

I figured out how to zoom it in but can't figure out how to fix the resolution and make it clear. If you were thinking about getting one i would defiantly still do it. I have gotten some great footage especially in the timber for ducks!
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby Rory » Mon May 20, 2013 12:15 am

If you're looking to film hunts they're not that great of a primary camera.
Rory
hunter

Postby Guzman » Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 am

Go pros do a lot of great things but for great hunting video maybe not. However they make a great auxilary camera and you can do a lot of cool stuff with it.
Guzman
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Id get one if they werent so expensive for a small camera

TX
txhunter90
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:55 am

Bloke wrote:Thanks for the post. I was thinking about buying one. Think I will pass after reading this.

I came to the same conclusion a couple months ago. I should not have to zoom in to get life size results on a camera that expensive. No way. If I do get a camera it will be something cheaper, unless go pro or someone else changes the zoom issue.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Bigpuddin43 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 am

Not a great primary camera but great for shots you can't get with other cameras. I like putting mine out just a yard or two past my decoy turkey hunting. Then just wait for the Tom to get up to the decoy and you have the shot from an angle most cameras can't get. Also gonna strap it to my buddies dog this fall for ducks. Like I said great cameras but not designed as a primary camera just an extra point if view.
Bigpuddin43
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:02 pm

The epicness of my stellar hunts could not possibly be contained in such a small device. :grooving:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:43 am

If you are looking to make awesome hunting footage then the go pro alone is not the way to go. Only way to do that is have a man video taping but if your a guy like me who doesnt want to give up hunting to video then they still make some awesome video. The image is crystal clear, it just looks farther than it is. You can zoom in on the editing software and clear it up pretty good though. They are awesome for fishing too, we mount mine under the boat when we troll offshore. Even if you have someone who likes to video with a big camera they still are awesome for other things like mounting on the gun, boat for the ride, mounting on the dogs head. I also like to stake it out right in the decoys and have mounting it on my gobbler decoy in the spring. They also work as a normal camera and do just as good as any camera for close up shots of the kill :thumbsup:
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Shoot in 1080/30fps/Narrow FOV. It cuts the fisheye look and with a little bit of color correction it produces great results!
FowledReality
hunter

Postby team_reload » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:51 am

Just got one about a month ago. Im planning on using it once season comes around.
Bangin' Birdies
team_reload
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:03 am

I got this little camera before the GoPro came out and I've been pretty pleased with it. Bonus was it only cost me 60 bucks. I mounted it on a hard hat with velcro (earlier post) and I've gotten some good quality videos but sometimes you feel a little "drunk" viewing them as your head moves around more than you think. As with any video camera, when you zoom, the image is harder to hold steady if you have it in your hands or on a part of your body (head) that is also moving. Consequently, I mounted a block of wood with velcro attached onto a thick fiberglass rod so I could set the video camera behind the blind and take action shots. The camera comes with a remote control for on/off, zoom, etc. so you can start it when the action is about to begin. It is capable of using 32 GB of storage.
Pretty cheap way to get started into videoing hunting/retriever training action without breaking the bank.

2nd pic shows the velco on the camera which does not get in the way.
Click to enlarge
Kodak video camera 001.jpg

Kodak 002.JPG
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 am

Small cameras with SMALL LENSES take weak pictures.
Zooming in with the teeny lens destroys any clearness .
Take a photography class at a college...not online and learn why its so hard to photograph moving ducks at 35 yards.
If this forum can teach you how to make a gopro with teeny lens do what you are asking...I GOTTA KNOW HOW.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Deltaone9er » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:34 am

My buddy got a Gopro last season and he was having the same issues with things looking like they're a mile away. I think he changed his resolution to the highest setting which seemed to help some and I think it changed his viewing ratio as well. I seem to remember that Gopro also makes other lenses that you can buy that aren't as wide angle so that might be something to look into as well.
Deltaone9er
hunter

Postby Bluesky2012 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:48 pm

I've been using one to film quail and pheasant hunts. When I changed it to narrow FOV, it did great from both a head and barrel mount. Furthest shots were probably 20 yards but I could still see the birds on it. You can make it work for sure. May not be able to film like a full film crew but it will work just fine. Also carries over great to now hunting and fishing.
"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"If you don't chew big red, then f- you"
Bluesky2012
hunter

Postby SemoDuck12 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 am

Have me and a buddy killing over 50 ducks though out season with EyeCams. Great vids. Even shots band on camera. Make sure to get extra memory chips!
SemoDuck12
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 pm

If you want killer duck videos buy a shotkam there not cheap but 50 yards shots look great look up my vids on youtube under cootlover :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum