Duck Hunting Hearing Protection?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Duck Hunting Hearing Protection?

Postby boyplays24 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:20 am

does anyone know if the peltor 6 muffs (the ones that block out gun shots but not conversations) work well when duck hunting? my problem is i wonder if they block out duck calling as well or not? i'd like to be able to hear that but if it muffles that then they reall wouldn't be worth the purchase.
boyplays24
hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Hearing Protection?

Postby Rick Hall » Thu May 30, 2013 5:45 am

My experience with similar (different brand) electronic muffs has been that I can't call with them on, as it drives me buggy to have my loud notes dampened. Was good to learn before springing for high dollar custom plugs.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Thu May 30, 2013 6:44 pm

sonic ear valves are awesome you can hear people talk you can hear birds but you don't go deaf at the end of a good hunt about $10 they are easy to clean if needed reusable, used a pair for two years so far best thing i have used.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby yamaha783 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:43 pm

not electronic, but for the money these have been my go-to for the last few years; hunt with yellow side in.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Combat-A ... l+Products
yamaha783
hunter

Postby WSUWESTON » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:24 pm

yamaha783 wrote:not electronic, but for the money these have been my go-to for the last few years; hunt with yellow side in.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Combat-A ... l+Products

I have used these for two seasons as well. They are good, but are painful and tend to fall out when you wear a mask or anything over your ears.
WSUWESTON
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:19 pm

Might want to give the Sonic Defenders Plus a look. They work as well as any plugs I've tried, offer two levels of protection, stay in place and are pretty comfortable.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:00 am

I went to the ear doctor after last season because I had a ringing in my ears that wouldn't go away. He told me I'm already beginning hearing loss and my tympanic membrane was in spasm from the gun going off. I ordered a set of musicians Ear plugs they drowned out the loud sounds but not the soft sounds. I can hear talking whistling wings and calling just fine but it dampens out the shotgun blasts. cost was 100 bucks well worth it. They molded it to my ear it fits great very comfortable. I didn't want muffs because bulky etc.
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby dysco » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:47 am

I got a Walker Game ear last season. Ear plug in the other ear. Works great but you can't tell where sounds are coming from. Better than losing my hearing for sure. My buddy wears earplugs and it sucks to try to tell him where I see birds. :lol3:
dysco
hunter

Postby Flatrock » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:37 pm

I wear electronic ear muffs while duck hunting. After about 10 years, so does everyone else I hunt with. Normal conversation no problem, sounds of nature no problem. Does muffle calls a bit but like everything else you get used to it. Bothers me a lot more goose calling than duck calling. Sometimes amplifies sounds I don't want to hear like cars, generators, motors. Completely eliminates concern about muzzle blast. I wouldn't hunt without them. I find them warm and wear them right over a skin tight face mask. Would not want to wear them in a rain, but have had not problems in a snow. I have tried Pro Ears (good but expensive), Peletor (good and cheap), Howard Leight (good but headband snapped). More expensive does not seem to be better in my experience. Try them on and make sure the head strap in not too tight for your head. Definitely try some. Get ones with standard battery size like AAA, avoid special batteries.
Flatrock
hunter

Postby DeadDuckChuck » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 pm

youngoilguy wrote:I went to the ear doctor after last season because I had a ringing in my ears that wouldn't go away. He told me I'm already beginning hearing loss and my tympanic membrane was in spasm from the gun going off. I ordered a set of musicians Ear plugs they drowned out the loud sounds but not the soft sounds. I can hear talking whistling wings and calling just fine but it dampens out the shotgun blasts. cost was 100 bucks well worth it. They molded it to my ear it fits great very comfortable. I didn't want muffs because bulky etc.

What brand and model did you get?
DeadDuckChuck
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum