Strangest/most effective blinds

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Strangest/most effective blinds

Postby calamari » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:56 pm

I just read the thread about ghillie suits and it made me think of some strange blinds I've seen and used. I recall that Remington Farms used to use field blinds made out of sheet mirrors. Although angled in a little from the birds perspective it reflects the ground.
I bought two Mylar blinds in the past that were based upon the same principle. They were in a roll that you would unroll and attach a four armed frame that would stretch the Mylar very tight and into a mirror since the surface was silver. I had a friend get into a little grass swale, hide behind it and let me see if I could find him. He was invisible until the blowing wind got hard enough to cause a little ripple in the Mylar and then it looked a little like the Predator in the movie. Something moved there but you can't see it.
I hunted with them a little but eventually gave up because, although the birds acted like you were invisible, it was only until they got a little to the side and then would see you. If you moved the mirror to the side they'd see the motion and flare.
The last blind that I recall being invisible was on a video from Outlaw Decoys where they were hunting in snow covered wheat stubble fields. They made the blind out of sheet 2" 4'X8' Styrofoam that was a simple rectangle that was staked to the ground inside with a flat piece on top. They had a small rectangular hole in the front to look out of and film but otherwise it was just white foam. There was little wind and mostly overcast so it blowing away wasn't an issue and the shadow it created didn't seem to bother the geese or the deer that were in the field. The geese would land in front of the blind in the decoys and just walk around and feed...invisible. They'd throw the top sheet off and do a, "Here's Johnny" on the birds.
i hope this gives some of you ideas about blind construction.
calamari
hunter

Re: Strangest/most effective blinds

Postby bobalong » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 pm

I built a mylar blind a few years back. The birds would come up to about 80 yards or so and turn, didn't really flair, but they wouldn't finish. Seemed to be a bit of silver sheen on it, I don't think the mylar I used was reflective enough, but it works good in the snow for coyotes.
bobalong
hunter

Re: Strangest/most effective blinds

Postby calamari » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:00 am

The Mylar blinds I have were built for that purpose and sold as blinds by a company from Canada as I recall. They use a central handle with 4 rods that look like the smallest diameter fiberglass electric fence posts that go out from the handle to the four corners. The corners are reinforced to take the strain because the poles are put under tension and bent taking all the wrinkles out of the material and making it into a very flat reflective surface. It's as good as a sheet glass mirror with no wind.
I notice your blind, although very good, has wrinkles in the covering making the "picture" being reflected not quite perfect. The decoys you have close to the front of it are not a bad reflection but the ones that are placed further away are distorted. The animals notice such things.
I think your blind would work better if behind a little low cover, like a foot high, that extends to the side of the blind. Mine disappeared the best when I had a uniform cover in front of me and an up slope behind of the same stuff. That way the reflection is a section of the uniform slope and it blends in better. In a grass flat and slope it disappeared. It disappeared in slightly flooded fields of Japanese Millet, or Water Grass, too. They would always bust me though when they got to the side a little or I moved it slightly backward to stay behind the Mylar. Land animals would have no chance and the manufacturer gave instructions on how to walk up on game with it in front of you. They're out of business now. Probably because they were fairly expensive and had to be treated carefully or they got scratched. I'm going to use mine now to reflect the sun into my spying neighbors eyes so they have lots of uses.
Also, remember the angle from a bird flying is different than a coyote standing on the ground. The big rectangular hole of the blinds top would be very noticeable to birds flying toward you. Maybe why it works well for coyotes and not so much for birds. You can angle the blind's side in and still get a good reflecting angle for birds. Overcast days are the best or else set up near water so that it reflects the water surface up along with the surrounding water doing the same if that makes sense.
calamari
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum