Need help choosing waders!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Need help choosing waders!

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Im looking to buy my first pair of waders, not sure if i should just get hip waders, chest, waist. I really have no idea. I've hunted with a pair of hip waders before, but they have limits. <- duh. I had seen one affordable pair of cabelas, great reviews but their stocking footed, <-- soo does that mean i need boots for those? I want the best quality for less than 150$, and those seem to be it. Any help would be great! :help: :help: :help:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Re: Need help choosing waders!

Postby okduckdude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:40 am

Check out rogers sporting goods, they are making their own line of waders and I have heard good things about them.

I personally use macks but they can get cold cause they aren't fleece lined. Just add extra layers.

My next pair of waders will come from either rogers or cabelas. Cabelas has great customer service and a great exchange if anything would happen to them. (So I hear)

Also it depends on what types of water you hunt. If you hunt water you know has the potential of begin deep (holes and channels) then get chest waders, pant waders are nice for marshes and if you hunt from a layout blind in muddy fields. I would never use hip waders unless I was in a marsh and had a sit up blind or for teal hunting and blind building.

If i were you I would get some chest waders.
Last edited by okduckdude on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arise, Kill, and Eat. Acts 10:13

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philp. 4:13

I apologize to those I have yet to offend. Wait just a little longer and I will get around to you too!!
okduckdude
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:29 pm

I got 3.5 mm Columbias $125 a gander mountian. Im a big guy so waders a pita 600 gram boots. I don't like real thick waders since all of my spots are walk in
And a Desert Eagle that's one great big ol' pistol
I mean .50 caliber made by badazz Hebrews
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Spend a little more for a good set of Cabela's waders. I've got the 5mm Neo-strech Cabela's waders with the 800gram boots and they are perfect. not too hot and dont get cold when its in the teens and standing in the water.

If I remember they are around $200, I'm not 100% my Lady got them for a b-day gift for me. :yes:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby F250 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:59 am

Cabela's Ultimate Hunting Wader, 5mm neoprene, with "Armor Flex" about $220.00. Lasts for many years of rough use.
F250
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

I've got a pair of 3.5mm Cabelas goin on three years now. I've had great luck with em! No leaks or tears and the 3.5mm is perfect for the weather here in SC. Had a pair of Proline waders before these, and had I known then what I know now, I would have bought the Cabelas a lot sooner. Also have a buddy with a pair of Columbias and he cusses them every time he hits the water...
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:56 pm

Cabelas waders all the way. I have the supermags and the breathables. Can't go wrong with any of their waders.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Cabelas!

Go chest waders, worry about waist highs or knee-boots later. Better to have more wader and be able to go anywhere you need to go than have less...my 2 cents.

light mags, super mags, or the 1 strap wader - cannot go wrong with any of those. And if you ever do anything to them, you can always replace them for free through Cabeals. Great customer service.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 am

Remember that you can ALWAYS return an LLBean product for LIFE.....that's where I'm getting my next pair.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby sstermer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Anything but proline unless you want to patch/replace them yearly. I got a pair of 5mm from cabelas for around $150 on sale. Keep watching the websites for a good deal and you will find one in the next few months. Get a good pair of boot foot waist or chest high, one size larger than your street shoes will give you plenty of room for layers and/or good heavy wool socks.
Pass the tradition, introduce a child to the outdoors.
sstermer
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:06 pm

Yea, i hear people say they go through a pair every 2 years. THAT AINT RIGHT! The neighbor i hunt with's dad has had the same pair for over 10 years. They either dont make them like they used to or people are just tough on their waders. Either way im looking for a pair that will last. And the way i hear it, cabelas seems to back up their products so, i guess ill go with them.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby 940AC » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Will be 3rd season for my Cabela's breathables.
Been dang good so far. No complaints.
940AC
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum