Stocking Waders with what kind of boots??

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Stocking Waders with what kind of boots??

Postby Jeps90 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 am

I am new to duck hunting. If I am getting a set of stocking waders, what kind of boots should I get? Should I just get some rubber knee high boots or try to get some shoes that just cover my feet with some good rubber and traction on the bottom? :help: :help:
"If its brown, shoot it down!"
Jeps90
hunter

Re: Stocking Waders with what kind of boots??

Postby Ksch97 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:25 am

I would look into a boot with traction, I have a pair of Simms wader boots, they are comfortable and yet work well. I got them for fishing but I plan to use them during duck season. They range in price. I would recommend somewhere in the middle. I hope this helps

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Ksch97
hunter

Postby Oklahoma Greenhead » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:13 am

youre going to end up losing alot of boots/shoes in the mud. Why not just use that extra money you're spending on shoes to buy a pair of boot foot waders?
"QUACK 'em, WHACK 'em, STACK 'em"

Mashin' Mallards since 1991
Oklahoma Greenhead
hunter

Postby garlicsalt » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:03 am

so glad you asked, i hunt calf deep cake frosting like mudd. i started with boot foot waders that were a nightmare. boot gets stuck and stays put in mudd. foot slips out of boot steps on knee and down you go. i now ware cheapy (under 20$) type hiking boots with stocking foot waders(breathable). ive got three sesons out of my last pair of cheap hiking boots and i can run right over the top of that same mudd. love this system works great for me. good luck have fun. salt
garlicsalt
hunter

Postby Jeps90 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:20 am

garlicsalt wrote:so glad you asked, i hunt calf deep cake frosting like mudd. i started with boot foot waders that were a nightmare. boot gets stuck and stays put in mudd. foot slips out of boot steps on knee and down you go. i now ware cheapy (under 20$) type hiking boots with stocking foot waders(breathable). ive got three sesons out of my last pair of cheap hiking boots and i can run right over the top of that same mudd. love this system works great for me. good luck have fun. salt

Thank you all for your insight. I do agree and thought about it, walking through the mud and losing a boot would suck. But I think I rather lose a boot than rip up the waders. I have looked at a lot of reviews on boot waders and I always hear good and bad but there is always someone that has problems with their boots or waders separating and leaking. I do like the idea of just getting a pair of cheap hiking boots. I would think it would be hard to lose a boot that is tied with laces. I think ill stick with the stocking waders. :beer:
Jeps90
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 am

When I was in your boots (Get it? Sorry.), I'd buy two pairs of cheap Wally World hiking boots with aggressive soles and speed lacing: one pair that fit a bit large with regular socks and one that fit a bit large with my heaviest winter wool socks. The trick to warm feet in cold weather is enough room in the boot to afford those heavy socks some loft. Boots too tight will restrict circulation and freeze your feet. Don't worry about gumbo pulling boots that are a little loose off, that's what the ankle lacing is for.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Jeps90 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks for your insight Rick, I think im pretty sold on getting stocking waders. I found a good pair for a good price. :thumbsup:
Jeps90
hunter

Postby rxgac » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:28 pm

I've wondered how the old vietnam jungle boots would work. Still see them in the surplus store for about $50 new.
rxgac
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:55 pm

Jungle boots would be a pain in the butt to put on and take off because of the lacing, and high boots have more area where folded layers of wader under them are apt to rub you wrong.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum