Truck Bed Tent?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Truck Bed Tent?

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Going to do some traveling to hunt this year and did not have much options as far as hotels go in some of the areas. Anyone have exprenience with truck bed tents?
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Re: Truck Bed Tent?

Postby Leaky-NY » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:38 pm

A friend has one and its ok but has drawbacks. Will you be by yourself or what. Both of us are average size and found it could be cramped. One good thing is its elevated and you don't have to worry about wet ground. You do need a step to get up and in. If its for a single person its a good deal. You have to remember to part the truck so the tailgate is down slope should it rain, you don't need to be in a pool of water in the middle of the night .

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:51 pm

KSL CLASSIFIEDS.COM camping sporting categories. has a bunch of them for sale. I was thinking maybe they are not so good seeing's how many there are for sale
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby RyanOvertime » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:53 pm

I bought one to use for a weekend up in the Sierra's. It works well but a few down sides. Once its up all your crap you had in your bed obviously cant stay in the bed. So coolers, totes, (food) and what not either has to go in the cab or leave it out on the ground. I was not in a heavy bear or critter area so it was not big deal to me, I even used my cooler as a step into the bed. It is small. The air mattresses for truck beds are expensive. I used a twin that fit between the inner fenders and gave me some side area for my clothes bag, boots and guns. But if you were trying to get more than one person in there good luck.
RyanOvertime
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:59 pm

What about a pop up camper? Should give you years of good use.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Had a buddy that used a twin air mattress under a camper top all the time. Never thought to use a pop up as he always had a boat behind the truck. Camper top sealed well and kept out all the unwanted stuff, he claimed it was better insulated too. That's how I'd do it if I were in the same situation.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:56 am

I camped in the back of a truck I had years ago. The simplest solution for me was an inexpensive aluminum truck cap. No time wasted setting up or taking down at your site and plenty of room. Since I preferred the cap off for the rest of the stuff I used the truck for I placed the weather stripping on the cap rather than the sides of the bed and used c-clamps rather than drilled holes and bolts.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Most truck beds now are set up so you can install some planking to hauls stuff that wont fit between the wheel wells. If you put some plywood on top of that you would actually have some shallow storage space underneath and it would get you up off the bed.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:43 pm

I use a roof top tent on my Suburban. They are expensive but will provide the most comfortable camping of your life. Being off the ground has serious benefits and they fold up in about 3 minutes. This is what I have: http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php? ... &c=&id=116
Idaho Savage
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum