camo pattern question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

camo pattern question

Postby rabbit99 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:06 pm

I am looking to pick up a jacket for taking ducks in Wisconsin. The problem I am having is that the stores around here do not have a good selection of grassland or marsh type camo. Will I be able to get away with a mossy oak or something like it? or should I go the extra mile to get a proper tall grass camo?
rabbit99
Newb

Postby Michigan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:18 pm

To be honest, I don't think it matters too much if you look like a clump of cattails or a tree. Just try to find something that isn't too green then you're sol when it comes to the late season. I've used Mossy Oak Breakup in a pinch and it seems to work just fine.
Michigan
hunter

Postby ducks1411 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:42 pm

:withstupid: As long as it breaks up your pattern somewhat from the surroundings and doesn't horribly mismatch in color, then I think you'll be alright.
Active member of P.E.T.A.--People Eating Tasty Animals.
ducks1411
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:43 pm

I use Mossy Oak Break Up religiously year round and before that it was Mossy Oak Treestand. I use it in the woods in the open water and in the grass. Just be still and you will be fine. Unless maybe your hunting in snow then I cant help you. I never get to see it. :laughing:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby CLUTCHfan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:18 pm

smackaduck wrote: Unless maybe your hunting in snow then I cant help you. I never get to see it. :laughing:

I'll mail some down to you this winter :mrgreen:

Back on topic.......I try not to sit out in the open, if you can get into some weeds, or some brush to hide behind, or if you can make a spur-of-the-moment blind out of some of the surrounding vegetation, you should be fine. Like smackaduck said, movement is the big thing. If you are in a marsh, and are having a tough time concealing yourself, you can make a cheap, portable blind for pretty much nothing. Some 2x3's cut into stakes at the ends with some chicken wire stapled to it with vegetation woven through it, or some burlap you paint yourself works just fine.

Another thing, use a face mask. Especially when you are first starting to duck hunt, because you'll naturally want to watch the birds, and this will flare them more than anything else.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby bgoldhunter » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:26 pm

I'm not a big fan of MOBU, even though I have a few pieces of it. I like lighter camo, and buy it whenever possible. Dark camo, IMO, makes it easier to pick out outlines over lighter camo.

Go to a public hunting spot, and it is easy to spot the guys in dark camo...much harder to find those in lighter stuff.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby new2duckhutnin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:08 am

http://www.ukasc.net/reviews/marpat/marpat4.jpg

Dont know how well this will work for Ducks but humans cant see it that great. Works freaking wonders in the Swamps of NC during traing against other Marines. Im gonna give it a try.

EDIT: Thats not me in the pic.
new2duckhutnin
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:29 pm

they don't make what I have been looking for. I checked every place I could think of for some camo that is green bull rush not brown. It takes a good month for the cattails to turn brown and all the other foilage for that matter. A light wieght, waterproof jacket with a few pockets that is green cattails or green brush would make me real happy. I settled for Mossy Oak new shadow grass, the closest I could find. The boys made a good point of staying still, but I still want some green camo just like the pattern on the shadow grass.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:48 pm

I use Mosy Oak brakeup, Mosy Oke shadow grass, and Max-4HD. As long as you don't move to much, I think just about any thing would work.
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:26 pm

new2duckhutnin wrote:http://www.ukasc.net/reviews/marpat/marpat4.jpg

Dont know how well this will work for Ducks but humans cant see it that great. Works freaking wonders in the Swamps of NC during traing against other Marines. Im gonna give it a try.

They can see it but that pattern was just developed to break up your outline.

It doesnt really matter as long as its camo. I like shadow grass but Max-4 is my favorite camo pattern.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gone winchester » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:28 pm

As long as you dont move around and the pattern doesnt stick out like a sore thumb, it doesnt matter.
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby Fowl Boys » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 pm

Have you ever heard of M2Dcamo. Check it out it's good stuff. m2d camo It's great for grass land.
Travis
[edited by A2]
Last edited by Fowl Boys on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowl Boys
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:48 pm

I checked it out Fowl Boys but they have nothing that is waterproof. Great looking camo, but very limited on the product availability. They need to expand.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:06 pm

new2duckhutnin wrote:http://www.ukasc.net/reviews/marpat/marpat4.jpg

looks alot like nat gear
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goose talker...goose drop » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:15 am

i always liked that anvantage wetlands that they discontiued...still realtree overdose their stuff if it breaks up your outline and you have some sort of cover, then your good
goose talker...goose drop
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:55 pm

I do fine wearing red flannel its all about breaking up the pattern
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby commited » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:46 pm

"do fine wearing red flannel its all about breaking up the pattern"....redneck? :yes: [/quote]
"a green head a day, keeps the gamewarden away"

Guns dont kill people, religions do...
commited
hunter

Postby madmike » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Heard of this newcamo called mothwing take a look at at mothwingcamo.com
madmike
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:51 pm

Realtree Advantage Wetlands or Mossy Oak Shadowgrass(original old pattrern). New Shadowgrass has too much green, black,and grey too it, more tailored for early season.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby waterfowler9 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:37 pm

If the ducks are close enough to see your camo pattern start shooting. but my favorite is max4 or shadow grass.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby Oldquacker » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:24 pm

Too bad they don't push Skyline Fall Flight anymore. It is the camo to wear north of the Mason-Dixon line.
And, it's still being made...I just ordered 12 yds of it for a blind and some other projects. I have a Herters parka in that pattern. Wouldn't trade it fer nuttin. :thumbsup:
All that MO and Max, etc., is just too DARK for the marsh. No doubt it works well in da timber, tho.
Oldquacker
hunter

Postby DJH1 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:29 pm

smackaduck wrote:I use Mossy Oak Break Up religiously year round and before that it was Mossy Oak Treestand....

This man knows his camo!! :salude: Mossy Oak Treestand was some of the best stuff ever made, along with Mossy Oak Bottomland. I see they started making Bottomland again, not sure about Treestand, though.
DJH1
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:22 pm

:withstupid: :withstupid: ImageImageImage

I just saw that the other day, I have got to get some, have yet to see it in any store.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum