What is the best GPS?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

What is the best GPS?

Postby GA greenheads » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:45 am

I am contemplating buying a GPS to use in order to get around the rivers, lakes, swamps, etc. I need it to be good on the waterways, but I would also like for it to be good in the backwoods when going after the big brown horned critters. I would like to have roadmaps available, but that is an after thought for my uses. Any suggestions on what to buy? Has anyone specifically tried the Magellan Sport Trac Topo? Comments?
Thanks
GA greenheads
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:51 am

Magellan is the way to go. I used magellan this summer when fighting fire. Also, make sure to get a waterproof one. My buddy got a n etrek at cabelas. Dropped in in the water and didn't realize it was gone for like 5 minutes. Thank God it was sealed.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby canadagoose » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:17 am

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista, and I've been pretty happy with it. It comes with a basemap of North American burned into ROM, but you can download detail maps to it. If you go with one of these, I'd definitely recommend getting one with as much RAM as possible, so that you have lots of room to download maps, track your trails, etc.

One drawback of all the units I've seen is the small screen. It's a tradeoff against size, and I definitely wouldn't want to lug a huge unit around, but I've always wanted a larger screen when I'm in the field.

After a few years, my Vista had some problems with the little navigation joystick and the screen developed some problems (probably my fault for driving with it on the dash of the car too much). I sent it in to Garmin and for something like $125 they refurbished it (replaced the joystick, new display, new buttons, calibrated, upgraded firmware, wash and wax, ...). I've been happy with it every since.
canadagoose
hunter

Postby Capt. H » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:14 pm

Any "WASS enabled" Magellan or Garmin. Stick with these two major manufacturers and you can't go wrong. Just make sure it is WASS (wide area augmentation system) enabled as these units offer unbelievable accuracy compared to others that do not have this feature. Basically, these units use the same technology civil aircraft use to conduct instrument approaches with. I have the sport trak pro which not only is waterproof...it floats, and is so accurate that if you pick it up, it will display in mph how fast your hand moved while retrieving it. Good stuff and more than what you need to get you to your hunting spot.
Capt. H
Newb

Return to Hunting Gear Forum