Carhartt???

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Carhartt???

Postby TXducksanddeer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey guys I'm looking for some advice. Would you say that it would be fine to hunt ducks in a carhartt jacket? Because right now all I've got is a mossy oak parka that I got for cheap and I know I can't wear that unless I want to look like a black blob in a light background. The carhartt jacket is warm enough but should I just go ahead and get some kind of max 4ish coat?
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Re: Carhartt???

Postby Windrider » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Cotton duck is fine.

You need to wash it in something that eliminates the UV brighteners and probably waterproof it was some scotch guard.

Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.
Windrider
hunter

Postby BurninPowder » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Windrider wrote:Ducks were almost hunted to extinction long before camo was invented.

X 10. I've killed enough sh*t in a Carhartt jacket to fill up a couple of truck beds. And don't get me started on military surplus...
BurninPowder
hunter

Postby JWG » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:56 pm

my buddy's a farm hand and when he's 40+ in the sun its pretty hard to see him. Although deer hunting is another story in itself. Put on some blaze and whatever you do eliminate the WHITE FLAG SYNDROME FARMERS!
JWG
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:52 am

Only thing wrong with Carhartt is that they are not waterproof, the cotton canvas developes holes at wear points and leaks badly, they are stiff when new, their insulation is not state-of-the-art, and the collar chafes the neck when you are duck hunting and your head is on a swivel. Other than that, they're fine.
I often waterfowl hunt with a guy who only wears a faded tan Carhartt. In most the vegetation around here, the color match is darn near perfect. (He also gets wet when it rains.)
You don't need camouflage, but it sure doesn't hurt.
mudpack
hunter

Postby 007 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:58 am

I'm a little bit with mudpack on this one. In my opinion, the only negative to Carhartt stuff is that it seems a little "stiff" to me and limits flexibility somewhat. Probably doesn't bother everyone.
hunter

Postby Tbaileynpc » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Use the new waterproofing spray from rustoleum. Works on fabric and everything, cool new product
Tbaileynpc
Newb

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Tbaileynpc wrote:Use the new waterproofing spray from rustoleum. Works on fabric and everything, cool new product

read the reviews on that stuff. It's more of a one time use thing. there are much better and longer lasting waterproofing products out there.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:59 pm

I wear mine to feed my cows and kill birds when its cold out.
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby drew_timothy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:18 pm

That will work just fine. This morning i shot ducks in a tan sweater and tan cap. And even your mossy oak will work, i had a pair of waders in original breakup, and if youre low and in the shadows that should work just as well as any "waterfowl" pattern.
drew_timothy
hunter

Postby jwurts4 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:39 pm

burlap when needed. make sure to take advantage of natural surroundings (trees, fence post, etc)
jwurts4
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:29 pm

like others have said you will be fine. I'm just not a big fan of hunting in mine because it's cotton and doesn't do a good job of keeping you warm if it gets wet. But I tend to hunt in a wool sweater that is just a solid dark brown as long as it is a natural color it will work. Olive green, brown, tan, just be still and try to hide in vegatation around you.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby sharris » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:58 pm

I use one as my hunting jacket all the time. Works great.
sharris
hunter

Postby Pmore721 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Try to get a hold of some military gear. I like to use my usmc issued gortex since it's woodland marpat. You could also find a woodland blouse for around $40 new.
Pmore721
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum