Tight waders, what helps ease them on!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Tight waders, what helps ease them on!

Postby Deano » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:34 pm

I just bought my youngest son a pair of youth stocking foot waders for the upcoming duck season. He can get into them but it is a struggle.
Any tips on how we can get them on him a little easier?

I'm going to try a pair of sweat pants, slick socks and probably some corn starch and see if that makes it easier. They fit pretty tight thru the legs.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:18 pm

Slide a pair of panty hose on after the sweats, they also help maintain warmth.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby GADKHNTR » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:23 pm

I roll the top of mine down to where they are inside out. Step into the boot and roll them up.
"I missed 'cause everytime I shot I slid further down that log I was sittin' on."
GADKHNTR
hunter

Panty Hose size?

Postby Deano » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:28 pm

I wonder what size he would wear! ! ! He's 10 and just less than 5' tall. he he he
I can see telling him he needs to put on womens panty hose to go duck hunting............teeeee heeeee
But heck at this point I don't think he cares what it takes to go hunting, he passed up a XBOX 360 for a charles daly 20 ga pump for his birthday this September. I got a great kid!

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:04 pm

Try a pair of thin nylon wind pants, I have the same problem getting into my neoprenes and they helped alot.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:43 am

my wife was watching a friend's episode one night when Ross tried to weather skin-tight black leather pants. he tried to use baby powder to help get them on and it was one of the single funniest things i have ever seen in my life.

in all seriousness, under armour works really well. i wear heat gear during the fall and cold gear when the temp drops. it also wicks moisture from the skin better than advertised. hth.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:54 am

Don't mean to insult your intelligence but here's a tip: Get him a bigger size
Last edited by WesternHunter on Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:55 am

WesternHunter wrote:Here's a tip. Get him a bigger size

Or go on a diet :toofunny:
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby WesternHunter » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:52 am

Waders are not supposed to fit anyone tight. If they do, they are going to stretch, fatigue, and tear, then leak. Then your son is going to be in a world of hurt when that happens to his waders out in the marsh.

Seriously, there are no special tricks, secrets, or magic to it. Exchange your son's waders for either a bigger size or a different style. Have him try on a few to see what brand fits best. It's really that simple!!!! I really can't believe no one else has offered you this same advise.

True, some people are a bit husky and have a hard time fitting into things like waders. Really though unless there is a gland problem issue, then I see no other excuse for being over weight. As a hunter you are just doing yourself a big favor by keeping trim and in shape. I guess this is another discussion eh? Enough said, I'll keep my nose out of sensitive issues.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:26 pm

Deano,

Why'd you buy him stocking foot instead of boot foot?

Stocking foot neoprenes fit snuuger than boot foots.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:59 am

Try garbage bags...u can slip right in to them.
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Size of waders

Postby Deano » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:15 pm

No problem insulting my intelligence guys! I'm a duck hunter....he he he
Getting a bigger size...........he's at the top end of youth sizes so they fit good at the chest level,,,meaning they don't hit his arm pits or chin and also fit him in the foot.
Adult sizes are screwy on the ones we tried........to get one to fit his foot (booted no stocking foot) the top of the wader was at his armpits and there was no adjustment on the straps over the shoulder.
At the moment we are at a catch 22 for his size. Next year or so I'll be different I'm sure.

Thanks for all the info guys...........all we've tried at the moment is nylon insulated pants and corn starch. Goes on a little easier each time.

Deano
Deano
hunter

size

Postby Deano » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 pm

Oh he's not fat other than a pot belly and believe me if 3-4 days of hard football practise since late July isn't going to get it off of him I'm not sure what will. Hoping it's just baby fat in the belly since his legs and arms are nothing but muscle..........he's just turned 10 and he can grab me around the thighs and pick me up with ease....230#

I don't take any offence to anything on this guys, just looking for what will work with what we have at the moment.

I had him try on either 6-7 different pairs of waders at Bass Pro shop here in Tulsa, the stocking foot ones were the only ones that were even remotely close to being wearable. (hate ordering online where you can't try them on first) All the booted pairs were too tall for his foot size. I'd rather him wear out this pair and get another pair next year than to have him struggle with a too tall of pair or even worse, have him fall and fill his waders with water since they were way to big at the top.

Appreciate the help,,,,,,,,,,keep up the suggestions, heck we'll try em all.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:48 pm

I would suggest a custom tailored pair, but not sure who would do that for ya. Plus, can't justify paying for a custom fit when he'll likely grow out of them by next years season. Kids.....they grow.

How about just getting him an insulated camo bib and rubber boots. That will limit him to not going in any deeper that 12 inches into water, but at least he'll keep warm. I have a lot of hunting buddies and not all own waders. No problem, since not everyone has to be waist deep in the water. Only the ones setting out the decoys and retrieving the ducks are wading anyway.
WesternHunter
hunter

young'uns

Postby Deano » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Custom waders, ouch! he he he
ya, they grow too darn fast to do that in my opinion. The ones we have are working it just takes a minute or two to get into them.
Tell you the truth, I get a big kick out of him helping me because he is really into setting the dekes and the blind etc. I'm not gonna make him sit and watch if he's wanting to help, ya know?

Did get onto him yesterday.........he was tired and slogging thru some of the slough and wasn't watching his gun barrel like he KNOWS he should........chewed him out good and he understands if it happens again his new Charles Daly might rust in the slough and he'll sit at home playing video games..............neither is what I'd like to see happen of course.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:23 pm

I know what ya mean :smile:
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:30 pm

Jim Broadbridge wrote:Try a pair of thin nylon wind pants, I have the same problem getting into my neoprenes and they helped alot.

:withstupid:

I'm with Jim. I've worn nylon running pants over a pair of sweat pants before. Very easy to get in and out of waders. Cheap too.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum