Duck Hunting Forum banner

Waders

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  VTduckman 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend or not brands of 5mm Waders? I have a two year old pair of duramags that the seams are coming apart in. They aren't taped but I think that is how they are made. Your help is appreciated.. :salude:

#2 ·
I have 5mm by Mad Dog Gear. No problems as of yet, and I've had them for 4 years now, although the first 2 years they were really only used twice each year to take docks out in the fall and put them back in in the spring. I really like them though, comfortable and warm.

#4 ·
I have bought a new pair of dryplus waders from cabelas. If you want something that is light and breathable then this is your waders. the boats are 600 grams and yopu have to layer under the waders or you will get cold. They have alot of momablitiy to them. I have a friend who uses them in really cold weather and he says they work great.

#13 ·
I have a pair of the LaCrosse Brush Tuff II waders 5mm with 1200 gram thinsulate boots. I cannot wear anything underneath them but a pair of thin socks and slacks or I'll burn up they are so warm. I usually wear them and a 4 in 1 parka with a tshirt underneath no matter how cold it is I'm good.

#14 ·
just bought a pair a Herters chest waders, 2 ply camo $59 at Cabela's
I have never gone Duck hunting and my son and I are getting our gear together, theese seemed like a good buy and the sales person actullay recomended somthing cheaper if it was our first go at it. My son however is unable to get a good fit in this brand because his foot is a 12 1/2 and he is about 5 10 145-150 like a puppy with big mitts. It looks like only the more expensive brands are fittable, ?

#15 ·
LaCrosse Brush-Tuff Extreme ATS 1200. 5mm, fleece-lined. these things are wicked comfortable and possibly too warm. But the comfort and the toughness is unbelievable.

#16 ·
ducks1411 said:
I have 5mm by Mad Dog Gear. No problems as of yet, and I've had them for 4 years now, although the first 2 years they were really only used twice each year to take docks out in the fall and put them back in in the spring. I really like them though, comfortable and warm.
:withstupid:
I have the 3mm maddog and i love them...no problems thus far. So i would imagine the 5mm are just as good..

-Ward

#17 ·
Been hunting ducks every season for 22 years. Have owned a few waders in that time, rubber, breathables, neopreanes, etc. Currently use the Herters 2 ply $59.00 waders I got last year from Cabelas. I think they are a great performing wader, in addition to being kind to your savings account . Given my years of hunting experience, that should tell you something.

I only find 5mm Neoprenes useful and desirable if you are hunting in very cold temperatures all day that never climb past 15°F. Any warmer than that and those 5mm neoprenes are just way too warm for me.

#18 ·
I have the Cabelas 1600 waders - First season with them - I like them pretty well - Only complaint I have is even though the boot fits well, the waders are still big for me, I'm a tall and skinny guy with a big foot. Most waders I have this problem with however. I would definately recommend them - They keep me nice and toasty!

#20 ·
I have had tons of waders over the years and my current pair is my favorite....camo Hodgman Waderlite breathables. You do need to layer for cold weather. One great feature is the boots have laces which comes in handy if you are wading in muck. Never had my feet pull out of these.

#21 ·
I also need some new waders, and cheap ones two, and i wanna go from rubber to neophrene. anyone know anything abot Macks Prarie Wings Big Ditch 3.5 mm waders? they look awsome. Also what is the durability of the Neo ones? warmth isnt an issue, most days are 40 or above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.