Makeshift blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Makeshift blind

Postby preacherdan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Ive got like a 6'x12' peice of black mesh netting that i have left over from my beavertail blind, and i have tossed the idea back and forth of taking and brushing it with raffia grass or just whatever i can acquire and throwing it in with my gear when i either take out my stealth boat or am walking out, to use it as either a canopy style blind or a ground style blind, has anyone else done anything like this? Pics?
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Re: Makeshift blind

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 pm

We hunted an impoundment that would hold ducks early in the season. Unfortunately, the cover was all cut down. My genius took over and I thought of the following:

-Take an 8 ft. 2"x2", cut to 4 ft or whatever you feel comfortable with
-45* the 1 end on each
-staple your mesh to them with the grass, whatever
-Dig them into the ground at an angle backward at the required spacing to give yourself good cover and the netting spread out
-Tuck in underneath it
-Shoot away
-To carry them in, wrap with rope or bungee cord and tie another piece around as a sling

We did this with grass mats and it worked awesome. You could also ram them into the marsh bottom in four bout for the same effect.

Good luck!!
scruggs12
hunter

Postby preacherdan » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Good idea, now did u have one of these rigs laid back and it was tall enough to tuck under? Or did you have 4 2x2's and make an almost scissor blind type of rig?
preacherdan
DHC Sponsor

Postby scruggs12 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:36 pm

I made them around 4-5 ft., leaned them back, and tucked under it. If you can find a little backdrop of natural vegetation, that will be even better. Picture a 30-40 degree angle and sit underneath it. It worked extremely well, was cost effective, and not horrible to haul in.
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum