Polarized Sunglasses

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Polarized Sunglasses

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:16 am

Does anyone actually wear them when duck hunting? Never really thought about the idea until today when I was driving and had a pair of mine on and ducks flew over me and I really could pick them out of the bright sky with sun in my face.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Re: Polarized Sunglasses

Postby DuckmanOK » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:47 am

I sometimes wear mine and though great for me the glare off the lens can have negative impact to the ducks view at you.
DuckmanOK
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 pm

I always use my polarized sunglasses.they help so much when chasing ducks, that go under water.plus helps glare.plus like you said pickin out birds and identifying them,is huge.
X10 on this one :thumbsup:
imateamroper2
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:00 pm

Anyone have a lens color preference? I would guess an amber color lens? That's what I use for fly fishing and it seems to be better than any other colored lens I ever used.
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Glare=Flare
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby Smithji » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:21 am

Does the Trinity Maxx Plus hauler glasses fit the Mammoth? Are there any other good glasses you'd reccomend?
Gifts coupon codes
Last edited by Smithji on Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smithji
Newb

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:42 am

The only real liability I've found to wearing sunglasses while waterfowing has been callling shots too close to inline with the sun for guests without shades to see them.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:49 am

You got to have some good sunglasses, on those Blue Bird days.

I like the old "Stu Apte CLIC Goggles," which are polarized and I keep a pair in my Skiff.
When I was assigned to SEAL Team Two working with Special Operations Command in SE Afghanistan, I got a couple of those high speed ABS proof sunglasses for the military, but had to put prescription sunglass lens in my glasses. They work well, but I still like my old Ray Bans.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:16 am

I'm relatively new to this, so I have to ask . . . when I shoot most ducks, it's been either very early in the morning (first light) or right before the sun is going down . . . how can you guys see anything with sunglasses on? Or perhaps where you're shooting, they're coming in all day?
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 pm

One of the aspects of hiding properly is to be in the shadows while duck hunting therefore glare off of glasses is not an issue. Granted it is impossible to hunt all conditions and wind directions without sometimes looking into the sun but the vast majotiry of the time one should be able to create or find some shadows in which to sit or stand therefore making glare a moot point. If you are hidden properly the only time the birds would see a glare would be with the shotgun mounted and pointed on them and by then it is too late.

To the original question, yes polarized glasses are very helpful in reducing glare, especilly that from being on the water and can make a hunt much more comfortable. I'd be more worried about reducing incoming glare than the occasional flaring of a bird. As for color I prefer blue/green lenses for hunting situations.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm

Wether you're wearing sunglasses or not why would you be looking directly at the ducks anyway? First rule of thumb don't look anymore than you have to until the shot is called.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:57 pm

m.teeter wrote:Wether you're wearing sunglasses or not why would you be looking directly at the ducks anyway? First rule of thumb don't look anymore than you have to until the shot is called.

Because I'm the one calling to the ducks and the one calling the shot. Both of which are impossible without watching the ducks
Jake88
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:38 pm

You can call ducks and the shot without looking directly up at the ducks. That's why we have peripheral vision. You can keep your head and eyes low and still watch the ducks from the corners of your eyes.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:08 pm

m.teeter wrote:You can call ducks and the shot without looking directly up at the ducks. That's why we have peripheral vision. You can keep your head and eyes low and still watch the ducks from the corners of your eyes.

Look down and use peripheral all you want, but water glare is no less visible than sun glare when it comes to sun goggles
Jake88
hunter

Postby BonzaiDuck227 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:20 pm

I've always was the caller and shot caller and always watched the ducks to read them. Besides the occasional flaring of duck(s) like we all get I see no difference is using your peripherals vs watching them directly. Just my .02
BonzaiDuck227
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:32 am

I always wear my costas, but really do not see any benefits that you wouldnt get from non polarized glasses.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 am

I don't hunt in sunglasses and choose face paint baseball stripes instead. But if I did, I would use the same glasses I use upland, long distance and clay shooting: Smith Optics Elite.

Long story short, they're mil spec and used by our armed forces just like Oakley, ESS, and Wiley, only the optical quality is on par with Smith's fishing glasses, plus you don't look like a douche bag wearing them. Glasses are made all over the place but the company is based in Idaho and shipped out of Utah.

Dig 'em: http://www.smithelite.com and checkout their Lifestyle models.

Edit: Personally, I rock the Prospect in Polar Brown. GREAT optics and as solid eye pro as you can buy: http://elite.smithoptics.com/products/# ... ical/view/
Idaho Savage
hunter

Postby blackrock » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I always wear my Oakley prescription sunglasses on bright days, can't stand not too! They are polarized and tinted blue. Helps my old eyes really pick out detail when on the water. Just keep my face down, hat brim mostly covers them until shooting time.
blackrock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:50 am

Idaho Savage wrote:I don't hunt in sunglasses and choose face paint baseball stripes instead. But if I did, I would use the same glasses I use upland, long distance and clay shooting: Smith Optics Elite.

Long story short, they're mil spec and used by our armed forces just like Oakley, ESS, and Wiley, only the optical quality is on par with Smith's fishing glasses, plus you don't look like a douche bag wearing them. Glasses are made all over the place but the company is based in Idaho and shipped out of Utah.

Dig 'em: http://www.smithelite.com and checkout their Lifestyle models.

Edit: Personally, I rock the Prospect in Polar Brown. GREAT optics and as solid eye pro as you can buy: http://elite.smithoptics.com/products/# ... ical/view/

Wow....that's one cool site....
I like the ear flap hat the guy is wearing at the top of the site on the rotating picture
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby MOgreenhead » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:16 am

If it's a sunny day I'm wearing sunglasses. Hard to see and ID birds and work with them with your call with the sun blinding you. If you want to be the guy sitting back with his head down waiting for someone else to call the shot, that's fine. But, don't call yourself a duck hunter. You're just a shooter. And of all the ducks in my blind that I've asked, not one has ever confirmed that they saw a glare off my glasses.
MOgreenhead
hunter

Postby Willie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Wear my costas every day of the year, hunting too.
Willie
hunter

Postby assateague » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I love all the snipers, with the "glare will flare the ducks" business :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 pm

assateague wrote:I love all the snipers, with the "glare will flare the ducks" business :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Lol, I have my gopro in the water near the decoys, still hasn't flared any birds that I can tell
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum