Solutions for concealing layout blind in grass

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Solutions for concealing layout blind in grass

Postby Dr^ke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:22 pm

What kind of artificial products are you using to hide your blinds in green grass fields? Brushing in takes forever and is usually a pain. I'm thinking painted raffia is going to be the way to go.
Dr^ke
hunter

Re: Solutions for concealing layout blind in grass

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Raffia bundles, dyed in a bunch of colors. Gives you a good BASE for a bunch of diferent areas. You still need to use local stuff whenever possible to match as best as possible though. NO artificial stuff will match any one are perfectly. I know. I have cut and dyed at least 30 POUNDS of raffia grass in the last few years. It gives you a start but you still need the natural colors around the area you hunt to get a perfect match. Still need to put the work in. Like my Uncle Ed always said-"If you don't weigh in, you don't wrastle". lol
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Dr^ke » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 pm

What brand, colors do you recommend for grass fields and high green weeds? Thank You
Dr^ke
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:06 pm

I buy the natural Raffia bundles from hobby loby for $5.00 a pound and then dye it using RIT dyes in particular combinations. I have a link saved somewhere that has the recipes and if I can find it, I'll post it up for you. Took a little tweeking to get it dark enough to match live grass and clover but now I have enough to completely cover 3 layouts.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:00 pm

I am looking at synthetic wraphia, which is made out of Rayon. I will let everyone know what it looks like asa blind cover when the roll arrives.
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=256001
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:12 am

Saw that stuff. Not very cost effective, especially of you plan on making enough to cover even half of your blind as a base. 100 yards of single strand will make maybe a few bundles. I make my raffia bundles about the size of my thumb and about 16-18 inches long. Takes A LOT of single strands to make one bundle. Plus it looks like its gonna be kind of shiny.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:56 am

dsm16428 wrote:Saw that stuff. Not very cost effective, especially of you plan on making enough to cover even half of your blind as a base. 100 yards of single strand will make maybe a few bundles. I make my raffia bundles about the size of my thumb and about 16-18 inches long. Takes A LOT of single strands to make one bundle. Plus it looks like its gonna be kind of shiny.

it comes in both a gloss and matte finish...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum