Duck Hunting Forum banner

Breathable Waders

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  yellowlabhunter 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, looking for comments on breathable waders I am considering a pair of Orvis waders because they have the lace up boot not sure how warm they will be once it turns cold where I hunt in SC it really doesn't get that cold but I will be spending a couple of weeks in Arkansas this Dec. I've got a pair of Cabelas neoprene that's really warm problem is when walking through mud I can't keep my feet in the boots. Thanks for the info

#2 ·
breathables have no warmth qualities at all other than just keeping the water from touching you! Consider them a pair of waterproof jeans that never get wet. The warmth all comes from the layering you use under them. When its warm, you wear pants under them, when cold multiple layers. I love them as they are so much more comfortable and flexible than any other kind of waders.

#4 ·
I ordered the Orvis waders you are talking about last year and returned them after I tried them on. The boots didn't feel much better than the traditional rubber boots you see on most waders.

Last month I ordered a pair of Cabela's breathable waders and returned those too. I am 6'0 tall and 195 pounds, and those waders were huge. Quality seemed fine but there was just too much material. I was swimming inside those things.

So, last week I bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Simms waders. They were very expensive, but the quality seems great and they are very comfortable when paired with the Simms boots. I don't think I will miss the camo because I usually hunt from blinds. Can't comment on warmth or durability because I haven't used them yet, but I have fleece wader pants which should keep warm till late November.

#5 ·
I have used breathable for 6 or so years. Cabelas recently. The best thing is that you control the warmth. Just over long johns and you can hunt in 40-50 degree weather and not sweat and with a heavy pair of fleece pants they keep you as warm as 5mm neo's. Think about it this way, if flyfishman can stand waste deep in a bottom feed river in Colorado in February for 5 hours I think you will be OK in your duck blind in Arkansas.

the only issue is durability. Unfortunately for some reason they don't build them as tuff as they do flyfishing waders. 2-3 year is all you can get out of them with heavy hunting.

#8 ·
ks_waterfowler said:
All I wear are breathables anymore. Bought LL bean this year since they have a longer inseam. Can't get more than 1/2 a season in cabelas waders since the inseam is so short. Crotch starts leaking to soon.
I might go that route this season with my first pair of breatheables. L.L. Bean has an outstanding warranty on their stuff.

#9 ·
1st pair of waders last year = cabelas. I was 260 and 5'10...so they had a pair that fit was the biggest thing. Inc oct. it was 90 and I was glad to have them. Nov-Jan, coldest temps were 20, most days 30-40F. I was never cold. I just put on thermals, or these drake waterproof fleece line pants under them. I hunted standing in the water most days.

#16 ·
Hello. I used Cabela's 3mm from 1999-2004 from 04 I went to breathable since I hunt in CA. The breathable are from Macks which almost 10 years ago for under $100. I love these things....more issues with neopreme than breathable. Easy on and off...does not hold water and moisture like neoprene. Does not pickup stickers and harsh burrs. I have not used my neopremes since I used these breathable waders.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.