Wader Seams Leak

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Wader Seams Leak

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:41 pm

I have a pair of Hodgeman Duramag neoprene waders that are about 5 years old. They don't have any visible holes but it appears that the seams are leaking in the crotch and around the knees. I bought some Aquaseal because I heard that it works good. Does anybody have any tips about the best way to apply the Aquaseal to the seams?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:46 pm

With your fingers...I gotta buy new waders every 3-4 years. Put that stuff on the new ones your gona have ta get BEFORE you wear em :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 pm

I ripped a triangular hole in my neoprene waders about 2" x 2" right above the rubber on the boots. I put the aquaseal on liberly on both sides of the tear (inside and outside) and some on the edges of the (5 mil.) tear. Don't be afraid of getting any excess glue on the neoprene because it dries clear and remains very flexible. For a seam I would put a bead on the seam about 1/4" wide and work it into the seam with my finger. But don't be cheap with the stuff, too much is better than too little. Hope that helps. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:59 pm

Jim Broadbridge wrote:. But don't be cheap with the stuff, too much is better than too little. Hope that helps. :smile:

Use a TUBE
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:26 pm

Thanks for the advice! Should I try sealing the seams on both the inside and the outside?
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby KAmallard » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:11 pm

5 years old.... I also have a pair of Hodgmans. 3 years old. My pup chewed a hole in the knee. She did it in less than a minute in the back of the truck, I also made the mistake of hanging them by the straps for a couple of months. The boots are heavy enough to stretch the seams. Always hang them by the boots. The aquaseal works great or any other form of clear flexible adhesive. I folded the waders down as low as possible. Placed DuctTape on the inside and filled the hole with aquaseal. The seams should also be sealed. Leaking or not. This happened the first year. They have stayed leak free since I sealed them, and I continue to put them through Hell.
KAmallard
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:52 pm

Whistlerwhittler wrote:Thanks for the advice! Should I try sealing the seams on both the inside and the outside?

I would.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby deadduk » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:02 pm

I have used industrial hot glue to repair some pin holes in my waders, press it in well, works great!
just because your not shooting does not mean your not hunting
deadduk
hunter

Postby lost lake drake » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:45 pm

Apply sealer to both sides My duramags started leaking after second season in the crotch The seams just pulled apart
lost lake drake
hunter

Postby DKDKGUS » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:00 pm

Also, FYI, in case you happen to find a hole in your wader while out in the blind, you can do a quick patch job by melting the hull from an "empty" shotgun shell...(you would be surprised at who has put a flame to a live round) and dripping the plastic into the hole/tear. Will not last forever, but should do the trick for that hunt. Works well for leaky dekes, too. :thumbsup:
DKDKGUS
hunter

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:27 pm

Thanks!
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:47 pm

While were on the subject. It is not a good idea to set a spotlight in your lap while wearing waders. No matter how cold it is. The waders will melt.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:51 pm

:laughing:
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:18 pm

HOT! :eek:
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum