Mountain Bike

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Mountain Bike

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 am

I've got some long treks to my little holes as a poor guy w/ no land.

Going to try a mountain bike this year. I bought a kid cart this spring, but still need a bike.

I search craigs list and see a bunch around 100.00, but when i check out the models they appear to be 5 years old and only cost 125 or 150 new. I've been searching on and off all summer. Whenever there is a decent bike people want 3-500.

My question here is, will one of the walmart 100.00 mountain bikes hold up for a season or two? Or even after I tighten seat/brakes/handles bars its all going to rattle loose and just piss me off instead of making it easier.

Most the trails i'll be going on are very little mud, and mostly flat logging roads. Suggestions for model new or used on cheap solid bikes would be great. Last bike i owned was a bmx 25 years ago.

Also - riding 2-3 miles w/ kid cart going to be easier then walking w/ 40-50 lb pack?
Duck Diver
hunter

Re: Mountain Bike

Postby halfscoop » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:21 am

Duck Diver wrote:My question here is, will one of the walmart 100.00 mountain bikes hold up for a season or two? Or even after I tighten seat/brakes/handles bars its all going to rattle loose and just piss me off instead of making it easier.

Buy an inexpensive bike, I did it years ago and it worked for me. You will have trouble with mud but you probably know that. I painted mine with camo paint and treated it like it was garbage but it worked.
I now own an expensive bike and use it but I have to worry that it might be stolen. However it is a much better ride than the other one.
Don't forget to put the green goo into the tires so it won't get flats.
I also made a cart for my decoys that is still in use.
Good luck.
halfscoop
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:43 am

I thought about it for a spot years ago. Problem I foresaw was:

-Riding a bike in waders would suck!!!

-Hauling decoys, gun, blind bag, grass mats, etc. That would also suck!!!!

-Hills?? Again, sucks!!!!

Other than that, it could work. Another option, is to get a deer cart and load it up and pull/push as you walk in. Doesn't eliminate the walk, but seems a walk is better than tipping a bike at o dark thirty loaded with stuff. A place I hunt, I hook a canoe to a dolly and walk 3/4 miles through the woods to get to a little slough.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:39 pm

decoy sled or push a game cart IMO

a bike is one more thing to fail, haul around in your truck, and spend money on. not to mention thats a lot of awkward pushing if you get a flat.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Uncle Jesse » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:40 am

I've done it a couple times. For me the roads must be very firm or I won't attempt it. It's not a method I would want to rely on all season. I don't have any trouble with waders on.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby WalpoleTed » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:58 am

A cheap bike will work fine. You're not racing the thing, so the two things an expensive frame would get you (lightness and strength) aren't necessary. 15 years ago, a cheap mountain bike would have come with components that wouldn't make it through one harsh season, but now, the stuff on cheap bikes is more durable than some of the mid-priced components 15 years ago, so no worries. The only thing I would say is keep the components clean and well lubricated when not in use (Boeshield, Tri-Flow, etc.).
WalpoleTed
hunter

Postby O.D.Lid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:21 pm

:lol3: I'll tell you one of the funniest stories. A week before the season two years ago out scouting/training my dog :huh: this van pulls up 4 Mexicans get out can't speak English as we tried to say hey. 3 brand new bikes, stickers and wheel trimmings still on,comes out of the van next, then a box of brand new decoys that they proceeded to open and disperse among themselves :no: 1 brand new shot gun and 3 rusted out P.O.S.'s then out comes 2 boxes of shells also split up, the guy with the new shotgun takes his belt off rigs up a sling gets on the handlebars(4 guys- 3 bikes) holding 3 decoys the rest are all holding their shotguns and decoys and down the dike they rode! leaving the m/t boxes from decoys, gun, and shotgun shells on the ground! :mad: Needless to say we didn't hunt there the following week when the season opened!!!!!!
If the ocean was made of WHISKEY and I was a DUCK I'd swim to the bottom and get all F!@#% up!
O.D.Lid
hunter

Postby ptrivero » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 am

i use a 15 plus yr old walmart was my sons had to put new tires on last yr thay just rotted out replaced shift cables a cup, yr ago
plus i ride it a cup, hundred miles on the c&o canel a yr i think it swin? i bet there on sale this time of yralso
ptrivero
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:55 pm

O.D.Lid wrote::lol3: I'll tell you one of the funniest stories. A week before the season two years ago out scouting/training my dog :huh: this van pulls up 4 Mexicans get out can't speak English as we tried to say hey. 3 brand new bikes, stickers and wheel trimmings still on,comes out of the van next, then a box of brand new decoys that they proceeded to open and disperse among themselves :no: 1 brand new shot gun and 3 rusted out P.O.S.'s then out comes 2 boxes of shells also split up, the guy with the new shotgun takes his belt off rigs up a sling gets on the handlebars(4 guys- 3 bikes) holding 3 decoys the rest are all holding their shotguns and decoys and down the dike they rode! leaving the m/t boxes from decoys, gun, and shotgun shells on the ground! :mad: Needless to say we didn't hunt there the following week when the season opened!!!!!!

Hahaha - awesome.

I went w/ a 150.00 walmart bike w/ good reviews. haven't had it on the trails yet just around the neighborhood. If it sux I'll find a kind in need.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:26 am

I use my old bike more than my big boat now days. Gets me to places others won't walk to and can't boat to.
Baskets on the front and rear, trailer hitch on the back towing my small Canoe on a trailer. As long as its reasonably flat and dry
it's great. Good tires filled with slime and gun sling are very important. Pedaling in waders isn't that bad for a mile or two. And the mutt just trots along the side. One more thing in early season pedaling in breathable waders wrap a strap around your ankle to keep them out of your crank gears. neoprene seem stiffer and ok. Ohh and take a scarf to wrap your face with if the bugs are bad there real chokers with any speed. Safety glasses to keep em out of your eyes

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby aerangis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:51 am

halfscoop wrote:
Duck Diver wrote:My question here is, will one of the walmart 100.00 mountain bikes hold up for a season or two? Or even after I tighten seat/brakes/handles bars its all going to rattle loose and just piss me off instead of making it easier.

Buy an inexpensive bike,

You get what you pay for.

My suggestion would be a used Cannondale hardtail with tubeless 29 inch wheels, a single speed crank and 5+ speed rear cassette. The bike will be light, nimble, and, more importantly, light. You can attach a rear cargo carrier and shotgun scabbard. Expect to pay roughly $500.... the cost of 10 boxes of premium shotgun shells. And it will last you a lifetime.
aerangis
hunter

Postby Freezer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I have an old Mountain bike I use with a trailer. I painted the bike camo. I removed all the cloth in the trailer and replaced it with metal mesh then camo painted it too. I added a removable stinger wheel so I can push or tow it. I don't wear my waders when peddling the bike I just throw them on top of the decoys. It's great for getting deep without a lot of effort. The trailer folds flat and the wheels are removable. I have a two bike rack on the back of my Toyota motor home, the bike, trailer and blind flip covers all fit on it with my decoys on a rack below. The system works great. If it muddy or the grass it too high I just put the stinger wheel on and it easy to push.
Freezer
hunter

Postby jdr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:04 pm

Where the hell do you guys hunt where you use a bicycle?? I hunt Arkansas and I've never seen a feller hunter ride a bike to a hunting spot. I need some details...
jdr
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 pm

jdr wrote:Where the hell do you guys hunt where you use a bicycle?? I hunt Arkansas and I've never seen a feller hunter ride a bike to a hunting spot. I need some details...

some public areas here in Missouri have a pretty extensive levee system that they drive on when planting the wetlands, even the main road where I hunt is on top of a levee. Some roads are restricted for vehicles, but bikes are fine, and sometimes walking a mile on a levee beats walking a mile through cattails and mud. but personally I still think that a bike is a huge waste of effort, I'd rather push a game cart. and I have seen a few guys use modded game carts.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby jdr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 pm

jdr
hunter

Postby Freezer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 pm

I hunt refuges in Kaliforniastan. These are marshes with extensive levees. Some are very good roads and a bike helps a lot. Some areas I like are two and a half miles in that's after a three mile drive. In areas where the grass is too high I push my cart. I can carry two bags of decoys, shoulder bag, shotgun, waders, jacket and sometimes lunch. It tows easily and/or pushes with one hand. As a matter of fact it's packed in my marsh sled so all I have to do is slide it off the cart and into the marsh! If I go lite I have a double basket on the back of my bike and a large single basket on the front. My shoulder bag and waders go in the front and misc. gear and a large bag of decoys strapped to the back. I drive an old Toyota motor home and it all fits on the back! It is my life's goal to take all the work out of having fun. Imagine hot coffee and oatmeal before the hunt and a hot meal after :hi:
Freezer
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:20 pm

I use a bike that I bought at Walmart about 10 years ago. I added tire slime to prevent any flats out in the field and I douche the gears/chain with lube at the beginning and end of the season. No problems
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Greenhead_Wrecker » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Cogburn CB4 Bicycle. Bad Ass. WAY out of budget.
http://www.cogburnoutdoors.com
Greenhead_Wrecker
hunter

Postby Freezer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Ok I'm not good with the computer. I have added a front rack to my bike but check out Photo Bucket. I'm Freezer75.
Freezer
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:17 am

You probably have found a bike by now but one of the basic differences between the cheaper and more expensive bikes is frame weight.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby jacobgurrero » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:39 am

I have used mountain bike for racing. I bought at Walmart about 4 years ago. I added tire slime to prevent any flats out in the field and I douche the gears/chain with lube at the beginning and end of the season.
jacobgurrero
Newb

Postby mudpack » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 am

Back when I hunted the NoCal Grasslands, you needed a bike. Not so much for the "make it easier", but for the "I gotta' beat those other six guys to 'my' spot'. Several things I learned:

Cheap bikes don't give problems with things coming loose, they give problems with the derailer. I.e. after about two uses, you'll have problems going into and staying in the gear you want. This can be a real PITA. The brakes never seem to be in adjustment (no big deal, really).
Mud, with any bike, is a MAJOR PITA. Put the waders in the trailer/box while riding...it saves sweat and saves waders. Bike trailers can be great, until you get on the side of a slope or one of the trailer wheels drops in a big hole...then they are PITA. I never had much trouble with flats, but many guys I know do.

Basically, bikes are a PITA unless you need the speed. If speed is of the essence, nothing else will compare. Otherwise, a push cart and walking is simpler and less trouble in the long run.
If you're going for a $100 bike, get a single speed. 10- or 15-speed units are fine if you're spending the price of anew B-gun.

If you've ridden both cheap mountain bikes and expensive mountain bikes, you'll quickly learn that the major difference is not that 1 pound frame weight, it's the quality of the components: the wheels, the bearings, the crank, and crank pedals, the derailer and chain, the levers, the cables....all the little things you don't think about until you have to use them for a season.
mudpack
hunter

Postby berudd » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:59 am

I can give you a perspective from a mountain biker. If you choose to ride actual mountain bike trails on a walmart-ish bike it will at the least suck and can be dangerous. They are built to look like mountain bikes but not perform like one. I quality mountain bike can be purchase from a bike store for probably as little as 5-600. Maybe less if they have used. But, I don't think you need that for your purposes and I think the cheap bike would suffice as long as it is not excessively heavy, over 30 lbs. I would not get a bike in the category with any type of suspension at all, front or rear. Again, that is just for looks at that price point and all they do is add weight. That being said don't assume you will just take off through the woods. it is very hard to ride even the best mountain bike like that if not impossible. You really want some sort of a firm surface, gravel, dirt, whatever. Even tall grass will add to the effort it takes to ride the bike. Pulling a trailer off road will add difficulty as well. I think the bike would only be an asset if you have a long distance to travel over a firm and relatively level surface. If that is not the case walking is better. A sled or cart would be handy
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum