Have any good plans for homemade layout blinds??

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Have you found layout blinds helpful when you used them, or do you prefer something else?

yes
50%
no; what do you use and why do you like it?
50%

Total votes : 8

Have any good plans for homemade layout blinds??

Postby jareddpeterson » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:14 pm

I'm just getting back into the sport after a couple of years off, and i'm planning on goose hunting some fields and mud flats as soon as it snaps cold. i've been looking at blinds, and i can't bring myself to pay almost $200. Does anyone have any good plans, or tips for building a portable field blind? if you've got pic's or ideas, let me know. i'll post my finished product after it's done so others can use the ideas too.

thanks,

JP :thumbsup:
"a bad day duck hunting is still better than the best day at work!"
jareddpeterson
Newb

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:36 am

I would highly recommend buying a layout. They offer SO much more comfort than anything you can make.

I did make a layout for my nephew that turned out pretty well. I took two identical plastic snow sleds and painted them camo. I flipped one upside down and placed it on the other and drilled three holes along the edge of them. I cutt off about two feet of one of the sleds for a place to lookout. Then I used single notebook rings (just like the rings in a three ring binder, but seperate, you can find them at most stores that sell school supplies for about a quarter each. Then put a blanket in the bottom for some insulation.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby EsoxJohnny » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:56 pm

I feel your pain when it comes to the price of layout blinds, but I can honestly tell you that if you field hunt with regularity, it will be an investment that you won't regret. After now spending some time owning and hunting out of one, I could kick myself in the rear for waiting so long to get one. It is by far one of the best hunting investments I have ever made period. The field khaki Power Hunters work pretty well and they are around $125 and if you shop around e-bay or hunting sites you can pick up a used one for a bit cheaper.
EsoxJohnny
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:14 pm

i bought my SUB for $150 including shipping and casey just bought a GHG groundforce for $170(?) with shipping from rogerssportinggoods.com

now that ive used a layout for a couple weeks i cant get over why i didnt buy one before. they are the cats pajamas :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:21 pm

I created a lounge chair laydown blind :getdown: and used it once..works good it is now In Saskatchewan as my backup..cost me about $60. :thumbsup: ..for plans and pics please pm me your e-mail address....

I now have bought a FA express blind cheap for about $150 before the price went up...before all of this..I used the reliable willow/cattail roll up stand up blind as my third backup...tough to beat for 360 degrees shooting with buddies in the same blind!!
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum