Handheld GPS

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Handheld GPS

Postby mackattack » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Need some recommendations on a handheld GPS unit. I don't know anything about them but I'd like one to mark locations, trails, roads, etc. I'd be using it scouting, hunting, and backpacking. I'd like to stay under $250
mackattack
hunter

Re: Handheld GPS

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:26 pm

I just bought a Magellan 610 explorist..had nothing but issues. I should've went with the reviews and got a Garmin.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby mackattack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Do the handheld units come loaded with road maps, or is there software you have to buy?
mackattack
hunter

Postby Badbuzz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:28 pm

I currently use a Garmin gps map60csx. Although it is an older model, and is discontinued (now gpsmap62 series) I find it a great unit. Good reception. However, the newer models have better processing and better mapping. It does not come with topo maps installed. There is also the Garmin gpsmap78 series, which is used for water applications (floats) they are quite nice as well. The price goes up if you add barometer, and maps installed.

I would try ebay/kijiji/craigslist even post LF on the classifieds here.

Personally for handeld, I would not go with anything but a garmin. I suppose a magellan....nah, wouldn't do it.

I will say though, some handhleds have the capability to add your own maps on without buying them.

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Postby mackattack » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Thanks for the help buzz I'm gna do some research on the 78 series
mackattack
hunter

Postby The Drake » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:50 pm

look at cabelas bargain cave......great deal there right now
The Drake
hunter

Postby Riverrunner342 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm

You might want to look at buying a factory refurbished GPS. You can save some money.

Good luck
Riverrunner342
hunter

Postby Flatrock » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:55 pm

I am happy with the older Garmin eTrex series GPS. The Legend is a good compromise, assuming you are not doing a lot of use in the Mountains. With mountains, an altimeter is very valuable, to put you on a specific contour line, then you need the Vista.

The base map is very minimal and not very useful. I have had to get a microSD card with a detailed contour map of my areas of specific interest. With that, I Love it then - but 62 bucks a pop on amazon.com gets old in a hurry. I have one microSD card with Colorado/Utah, and another for Northern Canada since these are my particular areas of interest.

Garmin really needs to just make these maps available for download off their website and quit nickel and diming us to death.

Despite this annoyance, once I have the detailed contour base map for my area, the eTex is easy to use and fairly intuitive.

Here is what I have found the GPS most useful for:
1. Locating my exact location on a map and determining how far and what direction to my destination. Particularly useful canoeing in the Canadian wilderness.
2. Finding my location and direction in pitch dark or dense fog when no landmarks can be seen
3. Finding my way back to the vehicle when in a bushwacking situation - no trails to follow
4. Marking a kill site in remote wilderness to assist in returning to exact spot.
5. Determining sunrise and sunset in my exact location. (Shooting times)
6. Marking parking spots to hunting spots in the dark
7. Marking fields to hunt as the landowner shows you around, and you can never quite remember the lay of the land a year later.
8. Marking a hunting spot in a heavily timbered lake so you can find it again in the dark
Flatrock
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:52 pm

I really like the project waypoint feature that some offer. It's great for spot and stalk or marking where game is in the field without having to actually go to the spot.

I have the Dakota 20 which is a touch screen model but I honestly prefer the pushbutton models like the etrex.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby romeocadet08 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 pm

Very hard to beat a garmin in my opinion. I have the gps62csx. I've had it for a long time and it has yet to fail me!! I've been very impressed with it over the years.

I've always had garmin products so I'm use to the interface/software but they are very simple to use. Harmon's customer service is tough to beat as well
romeocadet08
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum