Face paint

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Face paint

Postby Blake1403 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:47 pm

We hunt a solid black field so our faces stick out a little bit. Does anybody know of any cheap face paint? Or any everyday items that would work? I heard if you burn the cork from a wine bottle and rub it on your face it works as face paint. Anyone know if that's true?
Blake1403
hunter

Re: Face paint

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:46 pm

I use a fine camo face mask made for bowhunting and turkey hunting. It seems to work well and I can take it off so if I stop for coffee on the way home I don't look like I am going to stick up the place.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:19 pm

I always buy the black Halloween face paint a day or two after Halloween. You can usually get it for less than $1 per tube. Works great and cheap too. I buy every tube they have.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Duck commander makes some in a little black tube. 4 ounces for like 5 bucks i think.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:17 pm

For the cost, the Halloween recommendation is the most economical. It's once a year, so stocking up is a must. I have used CamoFX Camouflage Paint. It's expensive, but keeps the fingers clean, easy to apply and store. They have seven color patterns to choose from.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby erp10 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:07 pm

Baby wipes take the paint off. That way you don't look crazy driving home with a camp face.
erp10
hunter

Postby greenster » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 pm

when necessary i use the stuff from walmart.. green brown black in one tube, like the FX stuff. About $4 also check your old ladys purse..
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Blake1403 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:12 pm

The Halloween idea is great! What store do you usually get it from? Walmart? Or pretty much anywhere? Is it a certain brand to get? How long will a tube last? A few hunts?
Blake1403
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:46 pm

1 Bic lighter
1 cork from your wife's (or your) favorite wine bottle.

Burn cork
Apply to face (Make sure the embers have cooled)
scruggs12
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 pm

greenster wrote:when necessary i use the stuff from walmart.. green brown black in one tube, like the FX stuff. About $4 also check your old ladys purse..

I'll have to keep my eyes peeled. Lower cost. I can't complain.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 pm

I think it's funny seeing guys wearing face paint.personally noone ever wore face paint,until the Duck Commanders!BUNCH OF YUPPIES..CRACKS ME UP SEEING ALL THE NOOBS ,TALK ABOUT FACE PAINT ,LIKE MAKE-UP TO A BUNCH OF GIRLS! It's all about movement! Dont move and they won't see you!
imateamroper2
hunter

Postby Blake1403 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks imateamroper2 for reminding me to ask. I have never used face paint before. Does it help or make a difference? I see more and more people using it. Maybe it is because duck dynasty. For a couple dollars you can't really go wrong I don't think though.
Blake1403
hunter

Postby imateamroper2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Maybe a lil.for all the people with ants in their pants .that cant sit still.
imateamroper2
hunter

Postby goldfish » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 am

Used to be nobody had motion decoys until someone came up with the idea.

Used to be decoys looked like blocks of wood painted to closely resemble some type of floating fowl until someone decided to make them better.

Used to be nobody had camo clothing until someone came up with the idea.

Used to be everyone got around on horse back until someone invented the car.

Lots of things got done before new ideas came around. Doesn't mean they are better or worse.

sent from a phancy fone
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:59 am

imateamroper2 wrote:I think it's funny seeing guys wearing face paint.personally noone ever wore face paint,until the Duck Commanders!BUNCH OF YUPPIES..CRACKS ME UP SEEING ALL THE NOOBS ,TALK ABOUT FACE PAINT ,LIKE MAKE-UP TO A BUNCH OF GIRLS! It's all about movement! Dont move and they won't see you!

Ima,

Yuppie or not, I was doing the cork thing way before duck dynasty. Peoples skin is a neon sign. I can see guys faces from 600 yards without binoculars peeking there heads up from the blind. Yuppie scientists have proven that the human skin glows. It is nice to be so well off to be able to afford the luxuries of cork and/or face paint.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:40 am

I used face masks for years but they have pretty much been a nuissance. Cutting a hole to call with sometimes works but I have a goatee and I dip and the hole always moves a bit which can be messy...plus they itch me like crazy. Several years ago I started using face paint and it works wonders to keep the shine off of my face and normally being the caller I do have to move my head slightly to see the birds as I work them. I just use the cheap Hunter Specialties kits for a few bucks and smear all 3 colors all over my face...and baby wipes takes it right off.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby erp10 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:29 am

There is always that one guy bashing on the face painters. I've been painting or wearing a mask for 16 years. I work too hard to find birds to chance not wearing a mask or painting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
erp10
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:00 pm

imateamroper2 wrote:I think it's funny seeing guys wearing face paint.personally noone ever wore face paint,until the Duck Commanders!BUNCH OF YUPPIES..CRACKS ME UP SEEING ALL THE NOOBS ,TALK ABOUT FACE PAINT ,LIKE MAKE-UP TO A BUNCH OF GIRLS! It's all about movement! Dont move and they won't see you!

:clapping: Hear that? We are a bunch of girls!!! Ouch. Appreciate the gender role classification for all of us.

Painting my face is one less thing to worry about in the theory of concealment. If your theory is correct, no one should be in a blind and should be able to stand with the decoys ready to shoot a committed duck. Without moving and of course an unpainted face. Then, the committed duck should be harvested. I dunno. We might have a revolutionized theory starting right here on our very own forum.

And eff those masks. Hate the itch.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:41 pm

I've been wearing face paint for years. I don't want to be flaring ducks and I can't stand the restriction of a face mask. So a little face paint between the beard and the eyes and your good to go. Someone asked above, name brand doesn't matter. Whatever is leftover after Halloween, just make sure it doesn't have any glitter in it or shiney. I buy mine from Walmart but I'd imagine you can get it at any store like that after Halloween is over. I got it last year for less than $1 per tube I think. Works great. Just can't believe I didn't think of the baby wipes to get the stuff off. Ill have to try that this year I get plenty of wipes for sure with 2 little ones in the house.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:58 pm

Easy...you're gonna hurt my feelings. I happen to enjoy putting on make up, and killing birds. You can sit still and shoot at ducks as they flare off...I prefer to let them get a little closer before I shoot.
:-)
hunter

Postby kbooger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:24 pm

:-) wrote:

Easy...you're gonna hurt my feelings. I happen to enjoy putting on make up, and killing birds. You can sit still and shoot at ducks as they flare off...I prefer to let them get a little closer before I shoot.

Do you use black eyeliner and mascara? :lol3: maybe some foundation? :lol3:

I personally can't stand face paint, but if people don't like facemasks then I can understand making yourself pretty before hitting the blind LOL.
kbooger
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 pm

:lol:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:45 pm

head down maybe? its all a scam, gimmick, whatever. just because you wear facepaint doesn't mean your a duck commander and can kill ducks. dont believe in it. putting my head down, its free.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:54 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:just because you wear facepaint doesn't mean your a duck commander and can kill ducks. dont believe in it.

This will be my seventeenth season. I never knew who Duck Commander was until last year. I rubbed wet mudd on my face in 1997. I guess you could call that face paint also.

To me this is a DC follower. :bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThPdd7rhYIE
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Spunky » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:37 am

I don't wear paint because it wouldn't do any good with my white beard so I wear a mask. I can see the difference between wearing a mask and not wearing one though.
Spunky
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum