Face paint

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: Face paint

Postby DARuffisonfire » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:46 am

KillerKowalski wrote:
ILgoosehunter12 wrote:just because you wear facepaint doesn't mean your a duck commander and can kill ducks. dont believe in it.

This will be my seventeenth season. I never knew who Duck Commander was until last year. I rubbed wet mudd on my face in 1997. I guess you could call that face paint also.

To me this is a DC follower. :bow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThPdd7rhYIE

:lol3: :lol3: That is too funny...I have to share that.
DARuffisonfire
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:24 am

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:head down maybe? its all a scam, gimmick, whatever. just because you wear facepaint doesn't mean your a duck commander and can kill ducks. dont believe in it. putting my head down, its free.

If you have your head down - how the hell do you see the ducks?

I suppose if you have the sun to your back it probably doesn't matter either way.
kbooger
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Gave the burnt cork a try, hot damn that works good!
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:12 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:head down maybe? its all a scam, gimmick, whatever. just because you wear facepaint doesn't mean your a duck commander and can kill ducks. dont believe in it. putting my head down, its free.

So your not the one that calls the shots then. Thats fine if you dont wear paint but do you stick your shiny mug out there when you are callin the shot?
erp10
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:13 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:Gave the burnt cork a try, hot damn that works good!

I used to use half masks until no one makes them anymore. I switched to the burnt cork 7+ years ago. Unfortunately, you can still be called a yuppie, since you drink wine :beer:
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Blake1403 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Does the burnt cork wipe off easy?
Blake1403
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Blake1403 wrote:Does the burnt cork wipe off easy?

You need water and your sleeve. It is fine early season, but is a **** when the water is next to freezing. It will come off, but inevitably you will miss some. Baby wipes will remove it easier with less risk for frostbite than marsh water in January.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Blake1403 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:26 pm

I'll deal with that if I don't have to buy it. I heard the synthetic corks are really bad for you though. Anyone know I that's true? They probably don't work as well either
Blake1403
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:53 am

Blake1403 wrote:I'll deal with that if I don't have to buy it. I heard the synthetic corks are really bad for you though. Anyone know I that's true? They probably don't work as well either

The synthetic cork just doesn't burn the same. It will kind of melt. Do you want melted rubberized material on your face? Stick to good 'ol cork cork.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Blake1403 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:56 am

Ya that's what I thought. I'll stick to regular corks
Blake1403
hunter

Postby TheOutdoorFever » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am

I personally use the same dead down wind facepaint that I use while bowhunting. When I decide to go with a facemask, I use the facemask from Sitka Gear. It fits well and is really comfortable. When it gets colder, I use the balaclava from Sitka. It's made from the same material as their traverse shirts and is great for when the temps start to drop.
TheOutdoorFever
Newb

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:03 pm

Blake,

A couple of ideas/warnings.

1-Unless you are a rare form of duck hunter, have multiple lighters. They always either won't light or get wet. Also, try a grill lighter (butane), they light easier.

2-Put all cork, lighters, etc. in a plastic bag and keep it zipped. Freezer bags are the best since they are thicker.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Blake1403 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:20 pm

How long will one cork last? Thanks for the advice.
Blake1403
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Blake1403 wrote:How long will one cork last? Thanks for the advice.

Ever. Have yet to go through one. I usually add/lose them. Figure 1-2 seasons per.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:22 pm

scruggs12 wrote:

I used to use half masks until no one makes them anymore. I switched to the burnt cork 7+ years ago. Unfortunately, you can still be called a yuppie, since you drink wine :beer:

Actually I'm only 16, so I don't drink. Just found one laying around, and yea, I made sure I didn't get a rubber or plastic one ;D
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby cupnglide » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't wear paint much. But when it's necessary, I use this bowhunting stuff called carbo-mask. It dries flat so there's no shine like some face paint. They have it in several colors. It's made from clay. Washes / wipes off real easy.
cupnglide
hunter

Postby brickgw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

I've used black stinking river mud to cover up before. I don't know if the mud, face paint or masks works the best because every duck I've asked was dead.
brickgw
hunter

Postby Kasilofchrisn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:55 pm

I don't drink but my local hardware store carries real cork corks and they are pretty cheap.
It does work good. I sometimes wear a mask but do like the ease of just smearing on the cork.
Kasilofchrisn
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:01 am

imateamroper2 wrote:I think it's funny seeing guys wearing face paint.personally noone ever wore face paint,until the Duck Commanders!BUNCH OF YUPPIES..CRACKS ME UP SEEING ALL THE NOOBS ,TALK ABOUT FACE PAINT ,LIKE MAKE-UP TO A BUNCH OF GIRLS! It's all about movement! Dont move and they won't see you!

I dont think that everyone started after the duck commanders. Theyve been around for 40 years. Weve always worn face paint. Also with face paint you can have different colors.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08 am

imateamroper2 wrote:I think it's funny seeing guys wearing face paint.personally noone ever wore face paint,until the Duck Commanders!BUNCH OF YUPPIES..CRACKS ME UP SEEING ALL THE NOOBS ,TALK ABOUT FACE PAINT ,LIKE MAKE-UP TO A BUNCH OF GIRLS! It's all about movement! Dont move and they won't see you!

I've been wearing face paint for waterfowl hunting since before it was cool........ I always wore it when I was bowhunting and figured if it worked for that it couldn't hurt for waterfowling. I'm about 5 years older than Phills oldest son so I've been wearing it longer than they (the boys) have.............

I don't like masks. I am an eyeglass wearer so masks either hamper my vision or cause my glasses to fog............
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:38 pm

buy some now but after halloween buy all that face paint for .25 a piece and stock up for years to come. That is what we do
txhunter90
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:41 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:

Actually I'm only 16, so I don't drink. Just found one laying around, and yea, I made sure I didn't get a rubber or plastic one ;D

Ah. Well one day you can use your own cork.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:29 am

Only a NOOB would say duck commander is for NOOB's, been watching those videos for 30 years. :huh:

I wear a face mask, no need to cut a hole or anything in it, they make them for callers. Just google callers face mask or something. I think a spandex face mask is a lot less itchy than dried make-up.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Badbuzz » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:58 pm

Kasilofchrisn wrote:I don't drink but my local hardware store carries real cork corks and they are pretty cheap.
It does work good. I sometimes wear a mask but do like the ease of just smearing on the cork.

Brilliant suggestion. I just checked mine, and they sell them as well. I was having a heck of a time trying to find some, and I kept loosing them. Obviously free is better.

I am also going to check with local wineries (Live in Canada - Niagara Region) They usually have wine tastings. THe problem now, is a lot of wineries are using the synthetic corks or screw tops even going to boxed.

W.
Badbuzz
hunter

Postby eigenvect » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:27 pm

For the most COMFORTABLE and versatile facemask out there (doesn't touch your face, virtually eliminates glasses fogging, you can work your call, spit tobacco, talk/eat/drink with it on since it's supported on your hat, not your face...) check out the new BunkerHead system:

http://WWW.BUNKERHEAD.NET

http://www.facebook.com/BunkerHeadLLC

small family owned business in Texas.
eigenvect
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Gear Forum