Waders.......again!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Waders.......again!

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:46 am

O.K. folks, for the life of me I CANNOT get a pair of neoprene waders to last more than a season without leaking.....I have tried to find the leaks and seal them without success. I store them in he off season by hanging them from the boots (upside down) in the basement away from the sunlight. My current ones are Hodgdman, but I have had the same problem with others. I usually hunt marsh and flooded cornfields on a managed area. They have been both 3.5 and 5mm thickness.

1.) does anyone have a 'fool proof' method of finding leaks in neoprene? I have patched what I thought was the leak in one several times without success. It was easy with the old rubber waders, as you could almost always see the holes, even the tiny ones.

2.) how do you store your waders during the off season?

3.) what is the 'average' time a pair of waders should last with reasonable use?

At around $125 a season, this is getting pretty damn expensive! :pissed: Thanks in advance.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:25 am

I have 5mm Hodgemans and have had them without a problem for 3 years. While not in use I lay them over a bar in the closet so there is little stress on them. That is about all that I do. Never had to repair them so I am no help there.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby maverick340 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:09 am

I've only had mine a year, but they haven't leaked this year yet. I let them hang in the basement for about a month to be sure they were dry. i then wiped the boots down with armor all to keep the rubber pliable and stored them in a plastic tote. The instructions said not to let them folded for too long, but what are you gonna do?

An alernative - a buddy of mine buys the sock-foot fishing waders at Wal Mart for about $40 after season, then wears a light pair of boots and old camo over them. So far, it's worked for him and he's only out about $60 if they leak.
maverick340
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:51 pm

I went throught the same thing year after year. For finding leaks wear a color that will show water good. Long red underwear work great wear these under your waders and get in the water until you feel wetness. Then get out and pull your waders off the wet spot will tell where the leak is then you just have to look very closely at the waders. I have owned every brand and type imaginable besides the new thin ones like the swamp fox. The ones I have now have been the best so far with this being the third year with no leaks, Rocky Flooded Timberstalker.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Michigan » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:28 pm

I went through the same thing with my last two pairs. I bought the same kind this time around and started spraying them with armorall before putting them up for the season then reapplying the armorall once every couple of months while in storage and I have had those waders for six years now with no problems.
Michigan
hunter

Finding Leaks

Postby WingBreaker » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:11 pm

This is how I find leaks, ymmv.

Step one.

Wade untill you feel a leak.

Step two.

Go into a dark room with a flashlight.
Put the flashlight inside the waders in the approximate spot where moisture was felt.

Step three.

Mark the light spot with a sharpie.

hth
WingBreaker
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum