Columbia Quickloader Omni-Tech™ Widgeon™ Parka ???

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Postby DoubleBayou » Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:11 pm

These are great coats. Certainly plenty of warmth for us southern folk.
It can be kind of long in high water though.

I ordered one Friday for my Uncle. My son and I already have them.

I'm not much of a pocket user but if you want pockets and hideaway spots this one's got 'em.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:09 pm

I own it and love it. I just purchased the shell. I'll get a liner later on for these colder climes in the north country.
The quickloader tubes are a great feature...I just wish the jacket was a little lighter in color. All in all I think it is a great jacket...and you can't really go wrong with columbia imho.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:23 pm

It is the best jacket ever made, I dont hardly ever wear the inner liner as you propably wont but it is nice to have for those 30 degree boat rides.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby WesternHunter » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:07 am

Not a bad deal. Nice jacket.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:03 am

I have several Columbia jackets and like them a lot. The quickloader isn't one of the best attributes as shells will jam in 'tm and they can be hard to get out w/ gloves on (even without it being jammed). My only complaint is the "waterproof guarantee"...in a light sprinkle for a few minutes, it is great. for those steady rains all day long, you will get wet.

The only thing I have found that is absolutely, 100% waterproof is a good ole' Hodgman rain coat. Here's a tip: buy one of the short raincoats and cut it off so it will hang down to just above the pockets of your parka. That way your arms & shoulders will be dry, you have easy access to your pockets for shells & stuff and it will be out of the way while wading.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:06 pm

If your getting wet in that columbia something is wrong you need to get in touch with them and they will send you a new one. I have hunted in pouring rain for hours and not been wet. They have excellent customer service and stick behind their products.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Columbia Jacket / Company is great

Postby deltaportigue » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:59 pm

they are the standard for the duck hunting jacket, evverbody else doesnt come close to being as warm, durable, and quality of customer care. All the seams are completed sealed. Ive had a couple small rips and they have sent me a brand new jack. If you get cold in a columbia jacket, it is dam! cold out, i jsut wear a t shirt under mine, even hen there is ice out.
deltaportigue
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:59 am

I called Columbia about the problem and their response was less than satisfactory. I never really got an offer for a return/exchange and figured with my new one (and my brother's at the same time) doing the same thing it just wasn't meant to be.

Other than the waterproof issue I love the jackets (have had a widgeon and a full length parka for years). My brother and hunting buddy both had the same results on the same hunt so we just decided to make the "capes" out of Hodgman rain coats and the problem went away. They also work great for warmer weather hunting when all of the insulation & bulk isn't necessary.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:10 am

apexhunter wrote:I have several Columbia jackets and like them a lot. The quickloader isn't one of the best attributes as shells will jam in 'tm and they can be hard to get out w/ gloves on (even without it being jammed). My only complaint is the "waterproof guarantee"...in a light sprinkle for a few minutes, it is great. for those steady rains all day long, you will get wet.

The only thing I have found that is absolutely, 100% waterproof is a good ole' Hodgman rain coat. Here's a tip: buy one of the short raincoats and cut it off so it will hang down to just above the pockets of your parka. That way your arms & shoulders will be dry, you have easy access to your pockets for shells & stuff and it will be out of the way while wading.

I'm not familiar with this jacket, but if it is a Gore-Tex type waterproof material you most likely need to recharge it. Use Nikwax, it works great.

The other thing is with waterproof clothing such as Gore-Tex DO NOT wash with liquid detergent. Use a powder instead. Liquid detergent has a surfactant that helps it penetrate clothing and clean, and also takes away the waterproof nature of Gore-Tex systems. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby PNW HUNTER » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:39 am

I'm not into the quad parkas, I've have a Columbia quad parka for 8 years, it works well enough but all I need is a good water repellant shell and I'll layer under it the way I want to, depending on the weather.

You can wear long under wear and/or poly under wool sweaters, which I prefer, or relatively cheap down coats or vests. Most people have the cloths they need for layering, just spend you money on a good outer shell.

After saying all that the columbia shell has worked well.

jds
PNW HUNTER
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:08 pm

I do like the features of the parka...but have found another option for warmth and waterproof. Break bad and get the Filson Waterfowler's sweater. They ain't cheap, but layer it over a tirtleneck like under armour or polar fleece and it's as warm as anything I've ever worn. then just coveer it with something 100% waterproof if it's raining.

AND, if it's freezing cold, wear it under the parka & you'll be as toasty as you can imagine.
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum