Propane heaters

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Propane heaters

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:09 am

I'm looking for a small, portable propane heater for my duck/deer blind.....what I would really like is one that doesnt have that annoying 'hiss' when it is in use. Any suggestions?
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:29 am

Coleman Black Cat. small, light, quiet. you can get em at wal-mart for about $30
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby quackstacker » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Buy the one out of Cabelas it cost $60 and you cant even hear it run. Also it is the square looking one and I wouldnt use it for Deer hunting because the deer will smell the propane gas fumes.
My lab is smarter than your honor student!
quackstacker
hunter

Postby misfire » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:56 pm

I just got the big Mr. Heater from Cabelas. Will run off the small bottles or the big tank of propane. Even hsa a battery opreated fan to help push the heat throughout
misfire
hunter

Postby vacuum6 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:10 am

i also have an issue with the HISS of propane. also the fact that in cold weather the 16 oz propane bottles will not empty completely when the pressure drops. i have an old aluminum lunch pail that i drilled holes in the top. it is shaped like a round top barn. i lined the bottom of it with some fiberglas insulation (cause the bottom gets so hot ) and it keeps the sterno can from rattling around during transport. i use those STERNO cans with the wick (like they use to keep food warm at the restaurant buffet tables). actually i don't use the STERNO brand but different brand called SAFE HEAT. i do have to keep a hot dog tongs in the pail to put the lid back on the can when i am done. that baby gets real hot and i have burned holes in too many gloves. this set up does not make any noise and is smaller than a propane heater. also the thing cools off really fast when i am done. none of this is OSHA approved !!! if you want pic's, i can email them to someone that knows how to get them to the forum.
vacuum6
hunter

Heaters

Postby big37dog » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:56 am

here is an old technique we used to use . Worked really well as a hand warmer and to warm smaller areas.

Find yourself an older tobacco can ( metal) put a roll of tiolet tissue inside and completely soak with methyl hydrate put metal lid back on. When hunting, remove the lid and put a match to the tissue, will burn clean and when your done just put lid back on. Toss it in your blind bag or knapsack.

Will burn a long time.Then just refill before each trip. You can have as many as needed.

Probably antiquated today but worked well back "in the day"
big37dog
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:05 am

same thing on a slightly larger scale. 1 lb coffee can and 1 roll of toilet paper and 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol. Tp fits perfectly in 1lb can and alcohol burns clean and for several hours if the tp is tight in the can.
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby The Cat Island Drake » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:26 pm

Great idea's. :thumbsup:
There just ain't nothin' like a mornin' woody!
The Cat Island Drake
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BLACKDUK » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:40 pm

small metal bucket, kingsford charcoal . great heat, and cook hotdogs too..
sky busters, go home!!!
BLACKDUK
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum