Danner Boots

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Danner Boots

Postby Ryan_719 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:46 pm

Just bought my first pair of Danner Boots. I wore them Pheasant Hunting this Saturday and they are by far thr most comfortable boots I have ever worn. Anybody got any tricks to make them last a lifetime, or any specific gels you use to clean them up or waterproof them???

Let me know

Awesome Boots!!!
Ryan_719
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:18 pm

I have a pair of Danner Ft. Lewis 200 gr thinsulate boots for my upland bird hunting and big game hunting. More of a colder weather military type boot than a hunting boot. I treat them every year with a dressing called Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. This stuff's made in Idaho and was developed by a firefighter to protect and extend the life of firefighers boots. It's basically a special bee's wax emulsion paste formula that you do not have to melt prior to application. It keeps the leather from drying out, darkens in scuff marks, and does not weaken the leather, but seems to strengthen it so the boot last keeps it's shape. It is the best water proofer for leather I've found, and seems to protect against rot and decay of leather. I apply this stuff in August before the season when the weather is still warm, as this helps the paste to soak into and set in the leather. Just let the boots heat up for about 1/2 hour in the warm noon sun of late summer and apply the dressing, rub into the leather well. I buy the container of this stuff from Sportsmans Warehouse.
Last edited by WesternHunter on Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Never ever use Mink Oil or anything animal based. It'll rot your boots.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:28 pm

Not only that, but mink oil will over soften leather and make it loose it's support and rigidity.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Also about trying to make your Danners last a lifetime.....they will last you a long time and are a great quality boot, but no boot will last you a lifetime if it gets regular use. The dressing I referred to is more for a smooth top grain leather, but will work on nubuck and reverse leather too. Obenaufs also offers a variety of gels and liquid preparations too. Not tyring to sell this stuff to anyone, it's just turned out to be a phenominal product for preserving boots for me. Good luck!
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:58 pm

i wear a pair of danners, not sure what model, but i must say they do really kick ass.

very worth the price, i think mine are on their 3rd season and are still going strong
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum