Wader ?s in Cold weather

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Wader ?s in Cold weather

Postby YJSONLY » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:23 pm

From Florida just bought breathable waders...600 in the boots. I have wader pants

I am going to Oklahoma in December for a couple days after ducks. The question I have is will the breathable with wader pants and (under armor if needed) work? Or do I need to get another set? Of 3.5 or 5mm?
YJSONLY
hunter

Re: Wader ?s in Cold weather

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:29 pm

depends on your cold tolerance. I wear 5mm neoprenes with 800gm boots and then under that I will wear Drake fleece lined wader pants, with Under Armour 2.0 base layers and Cabela's wader socks. Its warm enough most all season here in Missouri, but there are a few days I do get cold when its down in the lower 20's and teens.

But I say since its only for a few days you'll be fine with layering up under them and a good pair of socks.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby sketch21 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:29 am

You should be fine if you layer properly. I almost never run my neos anymore..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
sketch21
hunter

Postby Edge » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:06 pm

And good socks,remember to leave room in the boot for blood flow.
Edge
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Would think it also depends on how you'll be hunting. I've Cabela's breathables with 600 gram boots that coupled with Smartwool socks were fine for standing in water that was icing over, but they might not be enough to handle really cold temperatures out of water.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Wader ?s in Cold weather

Postby YJSONLY » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:31 pm

which socks should I get? I know wool/blend or whatever...
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:51 pm

Heavy Merino wool has worked better than any of the synthetics I've tried. My warmest are Smartwool Expedition(?), I think. Pricey up front, but have held up for years. Edge was spot on about not wearing so much that you cut down circulation.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:56 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Would think it also depends on how you'll be hunting. I've Cabela's breathables with 600 gram boots that coupled with Smartwool socks were fine for standing in water that was icing over, but they might not be enough to handle really cold temperatures out of water.

Rick,how tough are the breathables? I use 3.5 Neo waist highs now. At almost 69 I'm not quite as nimble as I was. In the big boat or blind I'm fine. Getting in and out of the canoe on the river can be a little tough at times. I'm thinking tough,flexible,and light. Don't want hip boots as I like to keep my butt dry. Dealt with that in my youth.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:00 am

The outer layer of my Cabela's beathables had proven surprisingly tough. I don't cross a lot of barbed wire or push through thorns in them, but I've worn my breathables working around old cane staubs and broken buck brush that sometimes gouged my old neoprenes enough to quit worrying about them. Also, my last neoprenes were 3.5s, and I'm sure you'll find the breathables much less restrictive and more comfortable for the type of activity you're asking about.

Just don't be fooled by the "breathable" moniker, because that they ain't, unless we're talking about ventilating out the top better because they're looser than neoprene. More layers of the "waterproof" membrane are used to make them really that than are found coats and such. Believe Cabela's uses four.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:07 am

YJSONLY wrote:which socks should I get? I know wool/blend or whatever...

SMARTWOOL, Period...
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:17 am

tenfingergrip wrote:

SMARTWOOL, Period...

Ok but which ones? There is more options than buying a car! Lol
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 am

I just got the Over the calf extra heavy hunting socks from midway.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/491464 ... e-9-11-1-2
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:08 am

YJSONLY wrote:
tenfingergrip wrote:

SMARTWOOL, Period...

Ok but which ones? There is more options than buying a car! Lol

I try to buy socks that will provide warmth yet still leave me room in the boot to wiggle my toes, etc. If the sock is so thick as to cramp the foot and cut off circulation, the foot gets cold. Therefore, I have been buying the Trekking Crew sock that sells for around 15-18 dollars if you shop around. It is a medium weight sock and gives me plenty of warmth.

The only thing I would change on the Smartwools is the elastic in the top. It's a little too tight and leaves a pretty good indention in my calves. I haven't snipped the elastic yet, but may just try that on a pair.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:00 am

http://www.smartwool.com/mens/socks-2/u ... ght-3.html

These socks, best of both worlds- synthetic and wool! I wear these straight through the winter here (and its a lot colder here than in Oklahoma) and my feet are never even remotely cold. Neoprene waders are not any warmer than breathables. Its all about what you put on underneath them. Neoprene doesn't shed water, so if you wade deep to throw out your decoys, than get in to your blind, we all know how long neoprene stays wet for, 30 minutes later you are standing in frozen nooprene waders. Breathables shed water, so 30 minutes after getting out of the water you are dry.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:25 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:http://www.smartwool.com/mens/socks-2/ultimate-hunt-system-light-3.html

These socks, best of both worlds- synthetic and wool! I wear these straight through the winter here (and its a lot colder here than in Oklahoma) and my feet are never even remotely cold. Neoprene waders are not any warmer than breathables. Its all about what you put on underneath them. Neoprene doesn't shed water, so if you wade deep to throw out your decoys, than get in to your blind, we all know how long neoprene stays wet for, 30 minutes later you are standing in frozen nooprene waders. Breathables shed water, so 30 minutes after getting out of the water you are dry.

See that was my thinking. But I am a Florida boy so I have no real clue!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:28 am

YJSONLY wrote: I am a Florida boy so I have no real clue!

You said it not me! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:25 pm

NHDuckHunter wrote:
YJSONLY wrote: I am a Florida boy so I have no real clue!

You said it not me! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

I assure you I have no clue when it comes to cold weather! Now if we want to talk hot we can chat!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:07 pm

if you wear too thick of socks you can be in trouble. When I was stationed in Alaska and in the Infantry we would wear good mountain style boots with a good sock and coat the feet with foot powder. never had frost bite and we didn't wear the mickey mouse boots that muck unless in a stageing area where we weren't as active.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I run 600 gram thinsulate boots, not sure how think the neoprene is, but the waders are cheap so I doubt it is anything spectacular. I wear a pair of black crew socks from wla-mart under some redhead hunting socks, and sweats under my waders and im usually good. If the temp drops too much i will throw on some long johns under the sweats. I usually hunt put together a makeshift blind and hunt off the ground as well. It all depends on your tolerance and Oklahoma weather is completely unpredictable, pack for two scenarios: 60 degree bluebird skys and below freezing cut right through you windy conditions and you should be covered. if you question bringing something just follow this simple rule : better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:57 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:I run 600 gram thinsulate boots, not sure how think the neoprene is, but the waders are cheap so I doubt it is anything spectacular. I wear a pair of black crew socks from wla-mart under some redhead hunting socks, and sweats under my waders and im usually good. If the temp drops too much i will throw on some long johns under the sweats. I usually hunt put together a makeshift blind and hunt off the ground as well. It all depends on your tolerance and Oklahoma weather is completely unpredictable, pack for two scenarios: 60 degree bluebird skys and below freezing cut right through you windy conditions and you should be covered. if you question bringing something just follow this simple rule : better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

And that's what I am going with or try to!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby JamesMB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 pm

I can tell you from experience, layering is key. For super cold, I still like Neoprene, but they don't breathe and if you walk and sweat a lot, that sweat has nowhere to go and you can get cold. I guided fishing in breathables year round and on some bitter cold days. If you layer with a solid base layer like Patagonia or some lightweight cap (for wicking) then go to a heavier wool blend or if you can find them the Cloudveil RDW heavyweight pants and then a pair of fleece wader pants. I stood in near freezing water for hours on end and was never really cold. If you layer well, you'll avoid bulk because a lot of the better layering materials have a very high thickness to heat retention ratio. Plus, it all works together to transport the sweat moisture to the breathable wader then out. Of course, no wader material can 'breathe' underwater (pressure differences), but at least the layers next to your body will be dry and you won't experience that cold/clammy feel from wet out.

James
JamesMB
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I like the bass pro redhead wool socks they are ten bucks a pair made in the US comfortable and warm. I have some that are going on four years now. Everything else has been said layer well with stuff made from material that still keeps warm even if damp like fleece, wool, poly propelene, or whatever. Just don't wear so much that it's constricting, and avoid cotton underlayers. Cotton when damp/wet doesn't do a good job at keeping you warm. Rogers right now has some fleece final approach wader pants that are cheap and awesome. Well worth the 15 dollars in my opinion there is also a final approach quarter zip pull over for 30 I don't have it but am thinking about getting it for a good under layer on cold days or outer layer for regular ones. Here is the link to the pants they are well worth the money. The drake pants I'm sure are great but cost a ton these are a good alternative and aren't to bulky under waders but warm.

http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/fina ... 17900.html
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum