Newbie needs help with gear!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Newbie needs help with gear!

Postby afhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 pm

So I am having a heck of a time with some gear issues. I guess the main question I have is do most people waer their wader jackets outside of their waders? I am a new duck hunter and a guy I always talk to said you need to be able to tuck your jacket in to your waders. However, based on my size most waders that fit in the boot and inseam just fit in the top. No room for a jacket. If I go with the big man that has room in the chest they are way to baggy.

I hunt in SoCal and it doesnt get really cold and barely ever rains. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
afhunter
Newb

Re: Newbie needs help with gear!

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't know where you live but in Oklahoma I typically wear several pairs of socks which in turn I typically buy my waders a boot size bigger than normal so you might keep that in mind. As far as tucking or not tucking the jacket, several factors come in to play. I always tuck my jacket, but the main reason I do is because in almost every spot I hunt I cross water that is chest deep. If you are only going through water than is knee deep then there is no need to tuck your jacket in my opinion. Also, you will most likely NOT find waders than fit in every spot. Weather the boot be too big or the crotch be too baggy, it will be hard to find a pair that fits perfect. Their main purpose is to keep you dry not fit like a glove. Another thought, I don't know how big you are but you might need to consider youth waders if you are smaller. I am 6'3" and over 200 lbs, I wear a 12 shoe. I buy neoprene waders in a size 13 and tuck my jacket in my coat. When the bad Oklahoma winter hits I may have a fleece and a hoody under that jacket, all of it tukced in the waders. Makes for a tight fit but I manage.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby afhunter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:40 pm

I am 5'11" and weight 230. However, I have a 47 inch chest and a 32 inseam.
afhunter
Newb

Postby LiquidA45 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Just read your post again and saw where you clearly said where you are from, my bad. If you aren't crossing deep water then just get the regular ones and wear your jacket over them. Like I said you aren't going for comfort, you just need something to let you cross water.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm

It basically depends on how you want to do it. If I want to wade into a deeper area without getting the contents of my coat pockets wet I will tuck my jacket into my waders. If it's raining cats and dogs then wear your jacket on the outside to keep rain from running down into your waders. It's pretty much personal preference.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby Wi Browndog » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:08 pm

Try on some "stout" waders vs. the regulars. More thigh and stomach room with a shorter inseam. My Cabelas neos are really easy to deal with.
"Every day is a good day - some are just better than others"
Wi Browndog
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:05 pm

Make sure you realize they make wading jackets for this very purpose you can't ware a standard 4way parka over waders in mid to deep water.
Drake makes some excellent gear with the most innovative ideas I have ever seen , you can check out their full line at MarshMutt.com on line store
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby m.teeter » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:56 pm

If it doesn't get really cold and very rarely ever rains go with a drake equader pullover. I'm not a drake fan by far but they hit the nail on the head with this one. Its warm, comfortable and even will handle a light rain. When it gets cold I wear my rivers west on the outside of my waders even when wading. I don't carry anything in the lower pockets anyway so it's not a big deal if it stays under water.
m.teeter
hunter

Postby pork4life » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:42 pm

I usually have my jacket untucked and just let it be outside the waders and when needed I will just lift it up. I'm guessing you will be hunting the refuges in SoCal and i know that Wister only had knee deep water, San Jacinto usually has only knee to waist and then Kern you should be fine
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:49 am

I always tuck my jacket unless its raining, doesn't matter if I am in 4 inches of water or 4 feet. I find it infinitely more comfortable. If you buy a wader jacket though, it doesn't matter, they are designed short so you can wade with them on. You really shouldn't be getting any closer to the top of your waders anyway.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 am

X2 on the suggestion for a Drake wading jacket. I got the 4-1 parka from Drake a few years back and it is awesome. I would usually just wear the wading jacket that unzips from the inside. I let my brother wear it now because he needed camo and as the youngest he obviously gets some hand-me-downs. Plus I got a new UA jacket A year ago that I wear and that thing is sweet. It is called the Skysweeper Hoody, you might check it out.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby HG88 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:41 am

If you go with Drake products buy from the outlet store on their website. drakewaterfowl.com pretty dang good deals in there.
HG88
hunter

Postby Duck Diver » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:49 pm

I've got a pair of waders a boot size too big. I guess I don't wear enough socks or insoles...because they bug the living crap out of me everytime the mud sucks the boot off my foot.

Wish I had a size smaller for where I hunt.

Jacket inside for me, i often press the depth of the waders. The jacket would be soaked.
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Duck Diver wrote:I've got a pair of waders a boot size too big. I guess I don't wear enough socks or insoles...because they bug the living crap out of me everytime the mud sucks the boot off my foot.

Wish I had a size smaller for where I hunt.

Jacket inside for me, i often press the depth of the waders. The jacket would be soaked.

I don't get into bad mud very often and I like to have some wiggle room in there to keep blood circulating. I may be an odd duck buying waders with big boots.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:32 pm

You could get a non insulated jacket, if it doesn't get that cold near you, something thinner might fit just snug inside
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum