Filson 711 sweater

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Filson 711 sweater

Postby On_A_Rope » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 pm

I've read quite a few articles on the old made in USA filson waterfowl sweaters. I know they aren't made anymore and are getting harder to come by. My question to those that have owned them or own them is how do they fit in comparison to the newer ones? I'd like to find an older 711 to buy but I'm not sure what size I should be looking for. By filsons sizing chart I should be in a medium, but it's a little short in the arm area. Does the older version fit like the newer one?
On_A_Rope
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm


Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby romeocadet08 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:01 pm

Filson typically runs a little small. I have a lot of their "old" products and new products. They are almost identical in size comparisons. Still run a tad small.

Check eBay out!! Usually a great selection. You'd be amazed at the stuff you run across and the pristine condition of most pieces. I picked up the old waterfowl sweater several years ago for a back up for a fraction of the price and it looked like it was brand new
User avatar
romeocadet08
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 am

romeocadet08 wrote:Filson typically runs a little small. I have a lot of their "old" products and new products. They are almost identical in size comparisons. Still run a tad small.

Check eBay out!! Usually a great selection. You'd be amazed at the stuff you run across and the pristine condition of most pieces. I picked up the old waterfowl sweater several years ago for a back up for a fraction of the price and it looked like it was brand new


Just a heads up that while I totally agree with your sizing statement and Filson, I was surprised to find their hunting stuff is just the opposite. I just received a new Guide Strap 2 upland vest in Regular. I am a totally average dude--5'11" and 180lbs and this vest was f'ing HUGE. Pretty disappointed. Anyhow, might be worth a call to Filson, even if it's about an older product. They are very nice people.
User avatar
Idaho Savage
hunter
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby romeocadet08 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:34 am

Idaho Savage wrote:
romeocadet08 wrote:Filson typically runs a little small. I have a lot of their "old" products and new products. They are almost identical in size comparisons. Still run a tad small.

Check eBay out!! Usually a great selection. You'd be amazed at the stuff you run across and the pristine condition of most pieces. I picked up the old waterfowl sweater several years ago for a back up for a fraction of the price and it looked like it was brand new


Just a heads up that while I totally agree with your sizing statement and Filson, I was surprised to find their hunting stuff is just the opposite. I just received a new Guide Strap 2 upland vest in Regular. I am a totally average dude--5'11" and 180lbs and this vest was f'ing HUGE. Pretty disappointed. Anyhow, might be worth a call to Filson, even if it's about an older product. They are very nice people.



Great people and excellent customer service.

Hunting vests generally run large because they are ...well....vests...made to be loose fitting and easy access for storage/etc. if I remember correctly there is a size shark for vests vs jackets/shirts

I'm sure you could make a call to filson and exchange the vest out for one that fits
User avatar
romeocadet08
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby Idaho Savage » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:12 am

romeocadet08 wrote:
Idaho Savage wrote:
romeocadet08 wrote:Filson typically runs a little small. I have a lot of their "old" products and new products. They are almost identical in size comparisons. Still run a tad small.

Check eBay out!! Usually a great selection. You'd be amazed at the stuff you run across and the pristine condition of most pieces. I picked up the old waterfowl sweater several years ago for a back up for a fraction of the price and it looked like it was brand new


Just a heads up that while I totally agree with your sizing statement and Filson, I was surprised to find their hunting stuff is just the opposite. I just received a new Guide Strap 2 upland vest in Regular. I am a totally average dude--5'11" and 180lbs and this vest was f'ing HUGE. Pretty disappointed. Anyhow, might be worth a call to Filson, even if it's about an older product. They are very nice people.



Great people and excellent customer service.

Hunting vests generally run large because they are ...well....vests...made to be loose fitting and easy access for storage/etc. if I remember correctly there is a size shark for vests vs jackets/shirts

I'm sure you could make a call to filson and exchange the vest out for one that fits


Agreed on all accounts. Unfortunately it's the "smallest" one they make. And even with layers, this thing is mongoid!
User avatar
Idaho Savage
hunter
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:31 am

Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:04 pm

Are there any good wool sweaters made in the US anymore? Been trying to find someone who makes a good wool sweater that would be good for hunting thats made here. I'd buy a new filson if they were still US made. I know they are good but they command a hefty price that I think should be paying a American wage not pennies a hour in China. Been wanting a good sweater like that been thinking about the cabelas or LL bean knock offs of the filson since they seem to be pretty good. Made in china I'm sure but at least less than half the cost of a Filson.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 am
Location: crothersville IN

Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby romeocadet08 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:53 am

handyandy wrote:Are there any good wool sweaters made in the US anymore? Been trying to find someone who makes a good wool sweater that would be good for hunting thats made here. I'd buy a new filson if they were still US made. I know they are good but they command a hefty price that I think should be paying a American wage not pennies a hour in China. Been wanting a good sweater like that been thinking about the cabelas or LL bean knock offs of the filson since they seem to be pretty good. Made in china I'm sure but at least less than half the cost of a Filson.

Cabelas makes a fine hunting sweater as well but the name of them has slipped my mind...I'm sure you can find it on their website
User avatar
romeocadet08
hunter
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Filson 711 sweater

Postby On_A_Rope » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 pm

handyandy wrote:Are there any good wool sweaters made in the US anymore? Been trying to find someone who makes a good wool sweater that would be good for hunting thats made here. I'd buy a new filson if they were still US made. I know they are good but they command a hefty price that I think should be paying a American wage not pennies a hour in China. Been wanting a good sweater like that been thinking about the cabelas or LL bean knock offs of the filson since they seem to be pretty good. Made in china I'm sure but at least less than half the cost of a Filson.


Just recently bought a used Made in America Filson Waterfowler sweater for cheaper than what the new made in China filson sweaters go for and it's in perfect condition. No snags, holes or anything of that such. Doesn't look like it was ever really used. Got it off the bay. I've been looking to get one of these for a long time and have missed out on a bunch of opportunities. I can confirm what previous posts have said too. I went with an XL and it fits just like a L. Also these things are heavy duty. Haven't used it out in the field yet but it will get its fair share of hunting this year.
On_A_Rope
hunter
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:53 pm


Return to Hunting Gear Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Greenhead123 and 16 guests