Lights for heavy fog

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Lights for heavy fog

Postby mfoss0606 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:54 pm

I hunt in FL where moisture is plentiful and fog is relatively unpredictable to the point where you cannot tell it is there until you get to the ramp. It can really mess up your schedule having to cross the water with no visibility so i am searching for a solution. I have heard that certain color lenses for spotlights or running lights penetrate the fog better than your typical white light. Any idea if this is true or any other known solutions that may help with this?
mfoss0606
Newb

Re: Lights for heavy fog

Postby Legband#1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:11 pm

I live and hunt in California's Central Valley .
We are one of the worlds largest valleys and the temp , sea level , and moister produce what we call tule Fog .
I have seen it so,bad you have to open the car door to,see the white line in the middle of the road to drive.
Because our wind shifts so often it may be clear on the east side of the valley ,on our lake and you go out and you can see it rolling in.
Guys have been lost on the lake for hours until it lifts.
We use amber Lenses but even those won't work when its bad.
I installed a large screen GPS on the dash of My duck Boat and carry a hand held in my blind bag for emergencies .
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:14 pm

something like a 3000K HID light would really help cut the fog. I know lots of people run them in fog lights and they say they are much better than a white light and also help in snowy conditions.

the 3000K refers to the temperature at which the light/ gasses ignite. 5000K is a crystal clear white, 6000K slightly blue (what I run in my truck), and the 8000+ lights are very blue up to purple and pink, those lights are pretty useless.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby California Sprig » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 pm

There are no lights that work really well in fog. In California as previously mentioned we sometimes get thick tule fog. It is so thick you literally cannot see beyond the end of your car hood. Ain't no light that makes a difference in that. The idea with car fog lights is that fog is suspended 12 to 20 inches above the road. It is like a pocket where there is little to no fog. Automotive fog lights are mounted low with wide beams to take advantage of this . But they are not very effective in heavy tule fog. You can see the road for 15 or 20 feet but all you see above the bumper is fog. Although it was thought for a long time that amber or yellow lights were more effective it has been proven that they are not. When you shine any light on fog it is reflected off the fog droplets right back at you. Light simply does not penetrate fog very well at all. A good example is put your high beams on in heavy fog you will be almost blinded as the light bounces back at you. The brighter the light the more reflection and bounce back.
On the water in a boat I think the best you can do is have your running lights on so you might be seen by another boat. When fog is not as thick as tule fog I use a hand held light of various types in my boat. Also as previously mentioned I think your best bet is to have a good GPS to get you where you want to go and back.
Hunting, fishing, Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Forty Creek Barrel Select Canadian Whisky - Life is sweet
California Sprig
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum