Hiding in the Marsh

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Hiding in the Marsh

Postby Russ757 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Hey guys this is my first full season of hunting the coastal marsh in Galveston, Texas. I am hunting the south shoreline of West Galveston Bay this year. The terrain is very flat and the highest pieces of saltgrass are 18" high at most. I am afraid that even with a layout blind I may still stick up too much. What do you think? Will this matter if i pack enough grass in the stubble straps? Is there another method that works better? We get huge numbers of redheads and pintails and some beautiful canvasbacks during the year, I have all the equipment but lack alot of the knowledge of huning in the marsh, if anyone wants to swap hunts or hunt with me let me know! Last year we hunted the second split and did well but this year we are really trying to step up our game and do it right. The layout i am lookin at buying is the Rogers Goosebuster, ive heard nothing but great things.

Thanks,
Russ
Russ757
hunter

Re: Hiding in the Marsh

Postby mdfowlman » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:54 pm

Ditch the layout idea. Redheads and cans arent the smartest of ducks just stay as still as possible. If u do use the layout idea 18 inches of grass is plenty to hide a layout.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby Russ757 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:59 pm

mdfowlman wrote:Ditch the layout idea. Redheads and cans arent the smartest of ducks just stay as still as possible. If u do use the layout idea 18 inches of grass is plenty to hide a layout.

Thinking back on it the grass is about a foot or less, im not sure if that makes a difference or not lol. Last year we hunted sittin in the mud leaning against milk crates and had a TON of birds flare. We changed the spread, painted faces, changed locations and nothing worked. I walked 100yds away and looked at my buddy laying in the marsh and he was very visible no matter how he positioned himself, this is where we got the idea for layouts.

Russ
Russ757
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm

Russ757 wrote:Hey guys this is my first full season of hunting the coastal marsh in Galveston, Texas. I am hunting the south shoreline of West Galveston Bay this year. The terrain is very flat and the highest pieces of saltgrass are 18" high at most. I am afraid that even with a layout blind I may still stick up too much. What do you think? Will this matter if i pack enough grass in the stubble straps? Is there another method that works better? We get huge numbers of redheads and pintails and some beautiful canvasbacks during the year, I have all the equipment but lack alot of the knowledge of huning in the marsh, if anyone wants to swap hunts or hunt with me let me know! Last year we hunted the second split and did well but this year we are really trying to step up our game and do it right. The layout i am lookin at buying is the Rogers Goosebuster, ive heard nothing but great things.

Thanks,
Russ

What kind of boat do you have??? I have hunted out of a Carsten Pintail and a canoe. They are both fairly low profiled boats. Lay in the bottom and cover yourself, flat, with grass mats. If you want, cut a small piece of wood and lay at an angle and use that to prop your head up at an angle. You will be very low and out of the wind. If done right, you will be well under 18".
scruggs12
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Layout blind would be killer.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Russ757 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 pm

scruggs12 wrote:
Russ757 wrote:Hey guys this is my first full season of hunting the coastal marsh in Galveston, Texas. I am hunting the south shoreline of West Galveston Bay this year. The terrain is very flat and the highest pieces of saltgrass are 18" high at most. I am afraid that even with a layout blind I may still stick up too much. What do you think? Will this matter if i pack enough grass in the stubble straps? Is there another method that works better? We get huge numbers of redheads and pintails and some beautiful canvasbacks during the year, I have all the equipment but lack alot of the knowledge of huning in the marsh, if anyone wants to swap hunts or hunt with me let me know! Last year we hunted the second split and did well but this year we are really trying to step up our game and do it right. The layout i am lookin at buying is the Rogers Goosebuster, ive heard nothing but great things.

Thanks,
Russ

What kind of boat do you have??? I have hunted out of a Carsten Pintail and a canoe. They are both fairly low profiled boats. Lay in the bottom and cover yourself, flat, with grass mats. If you want, cut a small piece of wood and lay at an angle and use that to prop your head up at an angle. You will be very low and out of the wind. If done right, you will be well under 18".

I have a fiberglass Dargel Skout 140 that i use for fishing (im a hardcore saltwater fisherman) it runs in about 3" of water so what we did last yr was pull up to the spot and unload all our gear and then park the boat in the next cove over and walk back to the spot in the grass. The boat is an all white boat with a center console and a poling platform so i dont think hunting out of it is an option. Mainly we use it as a vehicle to get to our spots.

Russ
Russ757
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Russ757 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:

I have a fiberglass Dargel Skout 140 that i use for fishing (im a hardcore saltwater fisherman) it runs in about 3" of water so what we did last yr was pull up to the spot and unload all our gear and then park the boat in the next cove over and walk back to the spot in the grass. The boat is an all white boat with a center console and a poling platform so i dont think hunting out of it is an option. Mainly we use it as a vehicle to get to our spots.

Russ

If it is dry land, use the layout blind. That will SLAY them. If it is moist/has some water, get a neo-tub. 2 other options (you may not like) is to get a different boat or bring a canoe out with you and set up in that and use the other as a tending boat.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Russ757 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 am

scruggs12 wrote:
Russ757 wrote:
scruggs12 wrote:

Russ

If it is dry land, use the layout blind. That will SLAY them. If it is moist/has some water, get a neo-tub. 2 other options (you may not like) is to get a different boat or bring a canoe out with you and set up in that and use the other as a tending boat.

Thank you for your reply! Yeah i definitely would prefer not to have to get another boat. Where we hunt it is pretty dry but there are some places that have an inch or so of standing water. The Rogers Goosebuster says it is waterproof up to 5" so i figured that could work in my situation
Russ757
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:39 am

cabela's ultimate layout blind is waterproof for up to 10in of water. Great blind too.

But I would try to hunt out of a lyout boat if possible, depending on how deep the water is
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Russ757 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:12 am

In our baysystem though it can ge very rough, even too rough for my fishing boat in the winter. A layout boat would be fine once at the spot, but riding accross open water in 2-3' seas and 30mph winds at 4am doesnt sound very safe to me. I would really prefer to hunt from a spot on land if possible.

Russ
Russ757
hunter

Postby Russ757 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:04 pm

We decided to nix the $200 layout blind and redneck engineered this contraption out of camo burlap and stakes. My buddy is sitting on the right side with a bright blue shirt on. Any tips for improvement? Again this is designed for huntingin the marsh.

Russ757
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Russ757 wrote:We decided to nix the $200 layout blind and redneck engineered this contraption out of camo burlap and stakes. My buddy is sitting on the right side with a bright blue shirt on. Any tips for improvement? Again this is designed for huntingin the marsh.

Do you have grass mats? Instead of the burlap, staple those to the stakes. Dig them in the ground at an angle and tuck behind them.
scruggs12
hunter

Postby Russ757 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:15 pm

What do you mean by grass mats? I dont have any. I was going to use zip ties and stuff marsh grass into those like stubble straps all along the exterior.

Russ
Russ757
hunter

Postby dklaus1201 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Get a couple small layout boats like a carstens puddler, marsh rat or 4rivers and pull them behind the boat or put them in the boat for transport. If it is dry land, i would DEFINITELY say go with the layout blind. i have a rogers goosebuster and love it. it was 1/2 the price of my buddies blinds and more effective.
Bill Herian wrote:If by "barrel stickers" you mean easy women, then yes, I fully endorse.
dklaus1201
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:30 pm

Russ757 wrote:What do you mean by grass mats? I dont have any. I was going to use zip ties and stuff marsh grass into those like stubble straps all along the exterior.

Russ

You can buy a 4'x4' woven mat from Cabelas, BassPro, etc. It is a valuable camo tool. They lay across boats for laying out, staple to wooden duck blinds, staple to wood poles like I am referring. It is much more sturdy than loose grass, and easier to deal with.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Camo-Gra ... uct/82351/
scruggs12
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:37 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:cabela's ultimate layout blind is waterproof for up to 10in of water. Great blind too.

Trying to hunt in more than 8" of water in any layout blind is asking for frustration. The blind wants to float, even with you in it. More than 6" of water and you really need a layout boat. Layout blinds are great for dry land use, not much else.
Ask anyone who's tried it.
mudpack
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:27 pm

image.jpg
Russ, if its somewhat dry, try this blind. Ducks see camo burlap. Use some old fencing with 2x4 inch holes, zip tie local salt grass on to it. You could use the burlap on the inside for more concealment. Sit on some buckets or stools, then get low when ducks approach. You can just roll this blind up and transport it with a bungie or a strap. If you're in shallow water you could also use plastic or fiberglass coffin blinds to keep you dry, if you want to get really low-deadly! I just bought two. I agree the "field" layout blinds like my Avery don't work we'll in any standing water. A small layout boat transported on top of your big boat is another possibility. Good luck, sounds like a great spot!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Trent_Rivers » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 am

I did this in a flooded rice field. Buy a cheap summer beach chair. Paint it all brown. Lay some grass mat on you. Gives you a relatively low profile while also keeping you up out of the water and may cost 25 total. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
If at first you don't succeed, shoot again.
Trent_Rivers
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum