binoculars

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

binoculars

Postby vacuum6 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:36 am

i don't know if anybody is interested but i have been reveiwing several binoculars and thought i would post my results. first of all, there are some personal likes and dislikes, as well as features that i was was looking for. Most important to me was field of view from a waterfowlers point of view. i am not talking about antelope hunting or deer hunting binoculars which would demand higher power magnifications. i personally have a tough time with any binos that have a very narrow field of view...say less than 390' at 1000 yards. i can't pick up birds in flight fast enough with a narrow field of view. secondly, there are guys that can hold a 10 X very steady, i can't do it long enough and the 10X that i had were very narrow field of view...like 290' at 1000 yards. so that left me with 8X power. i did find one that i liked from Eagle Optics. it was 8x32 with a 390' field of view. i like everything about these but wanted to try an 8.5 power for just a little bit more mag. i then tried a swift 8.5 x 44. the FOV was great at 430' at 1000 yards. these were everything i was looking for except one thing..they felt like i had a tv set around my neck. they were huge. both of these were priced near $280. i then found an 8.5 x 32 with a FOV of 390' at 1000 yards. this was one i never heard of...it was a vortex spitfire. i was pretty impressed with these binoculars. two things were pretty rinky dink though. the objective lens covers fit inside of the objective lenses and i could not get them off with gloves on. also, they were not attached to the binoculars, so i lost one in the swamp right away. i bought a set of $7 rubber lens covers from the 8x32 eagle optic people and solved that problem quickly. the other problem was the twist up eye cups. they were very loose and wiggly. i still haven't figured out how to fix that one. these were $139 and, as of now, are my swamp binos. oh, i did look at the swarovski 8.5x 42 but at $1500 they are not in my strike zone....way out of my strike zone. i would consider them pretty close to the top of the food chain for 8.5 power.
vacuum6
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum