Duck Hunting /Waterfowler Gloves

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Duck Hunting /Waterfowler Gloves

Postby mmrobinette » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:36 am

Hey All

I just got back from a Duck Hunting trip to Mississippi. Had a great time and decent success. However, I do have an issue w/ my gear. I have great waders, great wader jacket ... head gear, etc .... My issue right now is my gloves. I had some of these ....

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=64038&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I say HAD b/c I lost one when I attempted dunking myself in the sub 20 degree water. hahahaaa. (note ... I luckily kept myself up. I lost it b/c I had to take it off so I could shoot.

I need advice on some gloves that are thick enough to block wind and give general warmth, waterproof .... and I won't have to take off to shoot OR load my shotgun.

Pleas help me with this and give opinions/suggestions on what I could get. This is my firts year hunting and I am really loving it but would like to keep my fingers. hahaa.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks,
Michael

Waterfowl Widowmaker!
mmrobinette
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:02 am

I have tried them all over the years and I hunt in some pretty dam cold conditions. I use neoprene for setting and picking up dekes, but in the blind I use 100% wool, fingerless gloves. I have several pairs and if one gets wet I switch off. They are the only gloves that I can have on when I'm calling and they are good for shooting too. Wool is the only material know to man that has insulating values even when wet. I have never owned a pair of Gortex gloves that didn't leak and once they are wet there useless.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:15 am

after trying pair after pair after pair of gloves i bought some cabela's gortex gloves. they dont work either. so now i do the same thing as jim. i use my neoprene for setting out the dekes, then i use a couple pairs of fingerless wool gloves for shooting. i found using the ones with the built in mitten top help out to keep my left fingers warm. i also use those cheap handwarmers and as long as they dont get wet, they work pretty well.
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby vacuum6 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:58 am

i do the exact same thing. wool fingerless glo-mits. 2 pair with polypro liners in them. for decoys i use JOKAPOLAR with the liners removed and polypro liners instead. and the heat paks. have never had gortex that didn's leak either. same a you guys!
vacuum6
hunter

Postby Deano » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:50 pm

Neoprene for setting out dekes. Either wool or fleece type gloves for calling and shooting.
Spare ones so I've got dry ones at the ready.

Deano
Deano
hunter

Postby thaner » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:07 pm

:withstupid: and most of those above. I did add a pair of those Artic Shield mittens this year and they worked well if conditions in the blind are not too wet. They have a thumb and mitten that fold back. The outer mitten is Artic Shield and there is not much to get wet. Then there is an inside shooting glove so you always have something on your hand. I found that they worked well as long as I keep the shooting glove dry. I would like to see them make the shooting glove with a less absorbent material and they would be perfect. I found them half off at a local store. Here they are from Cabela's.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Gloves

Postby Dep666 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:27 pm

I use some regular wool fingerless mitten gloves for "around the blind" stuff. I use a pair of heavy Rubber like ice fishing gloves for picking up dekes, and dead birds....
Dep666
hunter

Postby dhudson29 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:07 am

Try this... A pair of under armour or something like them, then you can change the outer gloves (wool or neoprene) without having to fully expose yout hands to the weather. it works great for me.
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Neoprene for decoy setting & retrieving and fleect mitts w/ the palm split so you can expose your fingers.

The main problem with gloves is the fact that fingers don't have that much blood flow to generate heat for the insulation to keep in. The more fingers there are in the same area, the more heat will be there (hence the mittens). . I have never found gloves that actually keep my hands warm in hunting conditions...and I've got a closet full to prove it.

I normally just tuck my hands inside my neoprene waders (when not calling or shooting) and let my body heat keep 'em warm.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:03 am

I wear a different glove on each hand in cold weather. The hand that has my trigger finger and the hand that I use to load shells with I wear a cabelas fingerless raggwool glove in OD camo with deer skin palm. On my onther hand, the fore end hand I wear a heavier light brown raggwool glove or a more insulated camo goretex glove. Just make sure that if you chose ragg wool that you have a good leather or rubberized palm sewn onto the glove for a good grip. Plain ragg wool gloves offer absolutley no grip on a gun, in fact they offer more slip than grip.
WesternHunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum