wader help

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

wader help

Postby agengo02 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:29 pm

i hunt in southeast texas in usually warm conditions compared to you northerners. its not uncommon to go out in a 60 degree coldfront! well needless to say i get pretty toasty in my neoprene hodgeman waders. plus they are quite heavy when tretching through the thick sloppy mud we got down here. what im looking for would be something lighter that i can use on the early teal season or just regular mild days. im still going to keep my neoprenes for the once or twice a year when we get the 20-30 degree weather, but i need a pair for every other time. anybody got any suggestions? either stocking foot or boot foot will be fine because i can always put on a pair of old shoes or boots if its stocking foot. thanks in advance.
agengo02
hunter

Postby WesternHunter » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:58 pm

I have the same problem with neoprenes. In fact I think my 5mm ones are way too warm for anything above 15°F. I use them only when I expect temps to be no warmer than 20° for the high all day. In fact most of the time I use my Herters 2 ply rubber/nylon waders lined with fleece wading pants, even if the temp is only 10° before the sun comes up, but expected to warm into the upper 20's.
WesternHunter
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 pm

rubber is out of the question for me. my very first pair of waders that i used for my first duck hunt were a pair of bulky non-mobile rubber waders. worst walk ever just because i could not bend my legs and kept falling and filling up with water. im looking for something that can flex well like neoprene.
agengo02
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:51 am

WHat are you wearing under your waders. I live in the same weather conditions and even wear mine on summer nights for frog gigging and dont have that much of a problem with them. Mind you they are hot in the summer but your hot without them.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby jjtroutkiller » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:03 pm

I started using breathable waders last season and no colder than it gets down here on the coast they have been great, the pair I have now is stocking-foot and plan to order a pair of the boot-foot breathable's from Cabela's so I dont have to mess with taking off muddy wading boots. After using these I dont think I will ever purchase another pair of neoprene's.
jjtroutkiller
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:39 pm

jj can you post a link of the kind you wear from the cabelas website so i can get an idea of the kind you are talking about? im going to keep my neoprenes just because there is only 1 little hole above the left boot and for the cold hunts like this morning (low 20s). smackaduck i only wear a pair of thin nylon camo pants under my waders. they just trap heat in and all the walking around keeps my really toasty. i think i will look into the breathable ones though. thanks for the info guys.
agengo02
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:19 pm

i dont like neoprenes either. i sure like my cabelas ice busters. i dont have to walk alot so there fine. last pair lasted 7 or 8 years. unfortunatly i dont think they make them anymore.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jjtroutkiller » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:40 pm

Here is a link to the next pair I am going to order, the ones I am using now are just like them but are tan and stockingfoot.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... &noImage=0
jjtroutkiller
hunter

Postby lookinferdux » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:28 pm

I have a pair of Cabela's breathable early season waders and they are awesome. Easy to move around in and very comfortable in the 60 degree weather. Wouldn't go without them because it is quite uncomfortable when it is warm and you start sweating.
Benelli want a quacker?

2009 Totals:
Woodies-4
Mallards-2
Greenwing Teal-1
lookinferdux
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:00 pm

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0000596

i use them for trout and warm duck hunts.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:20 pm

then my next questions would be should i go with stocking foot or boot foot? ive always used boot foot but sometimes my boot gets stuck in the mud and i pull up and my foot slips out of the boot. maybe i should just get a size smaller and only wear one layer of socks? thanks for the input so far and it looks like im going to get me some breathable ones from cabelas.
agengo02
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:08 pm

DONT GO STOCKING FOOT! i absolutley hate them for everything but fly fishing
tealslayerblw
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum