USIA waders review

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

USIA waders review

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I bought USIA waders that as far as I know are the only US made waders available. Just got them in a little over a week ago. From the time you order them to when you get them takes a while cause they make them for you after you order. Mine took about a month to come in after ordering. With that said the website they have is a little hard to order from to get exactly what you want, so I called them and emailed one the customer service ladies to make sure they knew what I wanted. I Haven't had a chance to use them yet season opens here in the beginning of november.

They are really quality waders and have a lifetime garauntee. A real one at that if you damage them you can send them back and they will repair them free of charge. Thats the good thing about them they can actually replace the boots if they ever wear out, if they rip or tear they can stich in a patch and seal the seams just like their normal seams. Thats what I like is that they actually are repairable not just replace them when they get damaged. The only crappy part about the warranty and getting repairs done if I ever need to is I have to send them to oregon 10-15 dollars. The good thing though is they will replace or repair anything on the waders for as long as you have them even if you wear out the boot sole they will put new boots on.

Now with that said the material they are made from is really tough and so are the seems. All the seems are triple stitched and sealed. The fabric they are made of is a waterproof one similar to a really really heavy cordura type material. The legs and part of the back side have a overlayed second layer of material similar to what the rest of the waders are made from. There is also a double layered cuff that goes over the tops of the boots down to the ankle area to help protect them and the seam where they are attached to the waders. They are very well made and the boots they use are very flexible and very comfortable at least walking around the yard strutting the new waders they were. I'm sure the neighbors thought I was retarded. I opted for the insulated muck type boots they offer. There are other boot options like booties to go in wader boots or uninsulated rubber boots. They also can attach whatever boot you want if you so desire. So you could buy a pair of mucks and they will put them on.

For the bad they aren't the cheapest the insulated boot upgrade was another 75 and the stainless steel d rings I had added where the straps clip were another 25. The base price is 200 so mine were 300 plus 12 for shipping. Not cheap but I was tired of wearing out waders every two years. The material is not as thick or insulating like neoprene but is much more durable. I figure its nothing that layering can't solve, plus in freezing temperatures neoprene after getting wet holds the water on the outside and it freezes. The water rolls off this material much better than neoprene. The other kind of sucky part is that if I ever do rip them or need something done I have to ship them there $10-15, but the repairs would be free.

The plus side they are American made the only waders that I know of that are. They can add any custom features you want when you order or down the road if you send them back to be modified. They can do things like inside pockets, leg pockets or whatever you can think of. The only custom feature I opted for was the D rings the standard pocket I thought was enough. Custom stuff does add more to the cost though. They don't have the traditional camos like max4 and duckblind. They do have a ton of different colors and tons of different military camo patterns. I opted for a coyote brown with desert bdu camo overlay I think they look pretty good like that, but you can have whatever combo you think of. They make them for you.

With that said they have standard sizes that you can have whatever boot size you want put on them. From their sizing chart the mediums sounded like they would fit me well and they do. I wear a size 8 wader boot normally so I had size 8 boots put on the medium waders. You can also have them make custom waders if you wish if one of standard sizes doesn't seem like it will work. You will just have to call, email, or go there so they have your proper measurements.

I will let everyone know how they do once I have had them out hunting a few times. To each his own I thought about the macks, rogers, or cabelas waders to try this time. But they are all foreign made, I try to buy American if I can. For me it just seemed like neoprene waders just never last the seems are just prone to leaking after stretching and contracting a bunch. Plus all the better waders made macks, lacrosse, or cabelas are not much less than the USIA's. I figured if I was gonna spend 200-300 for good waders I was going to give that money towards American jobs. If anyone knows of any other waders made here in the states let me know I'd like to hear about them. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and what they like so take my review on USIA waders however you like, if they sound good to you great, if not I don't care. If you have questions about them that I didn't answer feel free to post questions.
Attachments
IMG_0405.JPG
front view
IMG_0406.JPG
pocket
IMG_0417.JPG
back side view
IMG_0418.JPG
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Re: USIA waders review

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:21 pm

more pics
Attachments
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0409.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:23 pm

more pics
Attachments
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0414.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG

handyandy
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:32 pm

Is the outside material shiny ,it looks pretty shiny by the photos
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:49 pm

a little bit but nothing to bad. After a few uses and some dirt gets on them I'm sure it won't be noticeable and I doubt its that noticeable to birds. It's not any worse than a brand new layout blind. The inside is quiet shiny cause of the waterproof coating on the inside of the fabric. The material is a little noisy its crinkles some they told me about that and said it gets better with use as the material breaks in. It's not enough to make me worry about spoking ducks as I'm sitting still when they are coming in anyways.

handyandy
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:52 pm

Ok Thanks for the info on the shine
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Garand » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:50 pm

How's the comfort of the boot?

A buddy and I have waders on order and we both with with that boot. I had a lengthy discussion one evening with one of the guys from the military side of their operation about the boots and decided to trust his recommendation. (for those that don't know USIA has been making dry suits for SCUBA for the recreational/commercial and govt/Mil worlds).

It's really not much of a risk in the end, If the boots dont pan out they only charge $25 to have your supplied boots attached.
Garand
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 pm

I can't speak for the warmth or durability yet as I hadn't had them in cold water yet and haven't had them for very long or even had them on a hunt yet. I do think they are very comfortable though. Very light and flexible easy to move and walk around in. Seems like they should be as durable as any other boot.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I went in today for a fitting at the USIA shop. They are very accommodating, and are building me a pair that is custom fit to me. My biggest wader problem has always been fit, which tears the seams. My pair ran me 375 with the zipper pocket and I am waiting on a new boot BOG has designed just for USIA waders. Which may add extra cost.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 am

Nice to find something made in America. Are these waders breathables?
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Garand » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:11 pm

MarkM wrote:Nice to find something made in America. Are these waders breathables?

They are not breathable. Here is a quote from the dude who makes them
"
The 1st rule of "dressing yourself" is COTTON IS FORBIDDEN. I do this for a living. Never wear cotton next to your skin in an environmentaly closed system. Fact is you will sweat, it is your job to scienctically direct moisture in that system. That starts by indentifying fabrics that moisture likes and dislikes. Moisture loves COTTON and hates fleeces. So wear fleece next to your skin and moisure will wick away from you as it will be attracted to the "urethane coating" of your waders. If you wear cotton against your skin, it will soak up sweat and stay there making you moist feeling.

Same with so called breathables (what a crock!) The fact is breathables don't breath when submerged. Geez how many "breathable" diving drysuits are out there NONE! Why Because breathable fabric was made for raincoats and that's about all it's good for. W.L. Gore has milked you guys out of millions with bogus 20th century technology.
There is a reason for your "breathable" waders not lasting more than a year. (and a year is 365 days) You should be talking a season, then define that..30 days? 60 days? How many days do you acutally wear them in a year?

Hope this helps you maximize your dry days in waders
CAPT KUJO "

Here's a link to the thread over on the ifish forums where he originally announced them, there are loads of questions there.
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=426863
Garand
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Wow that is really interesting.. I planned on buying a pair of new waders here soon and it looks like I may have found some. Thanks for showing this to me! :beer:
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:16 pm

yeah I read through most of that ifish forum. After reading all the good reviews thats what made me pull the trigger on them. I figure they probably will be as warm as any of the thinner neoprene waders I have been using. The neoprene waders would always freeze up and have a sheet of ice over them when they got wet and then exposed to cold temps. The water runs off these a lot better than neoprene.

handyandy
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:42 am

How much noise do they make?

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 am

Someone should explain to that guy the point of breathable waders, its not for when you are IN the water, its for when you are out.

That said, I bookmarked that page when you first posted it awhile back. 100% that is my next pair of waders, I wish I didn't JUST get a new pair the end of last year. I love the fact they are made in America, I love the fact you can add your own boots. The custom fitting is awesome, I can never get boots/waders that fit just right. I'm fairly tall but I have small feet (you know what they say...). The fact I can buy a pair of boots, try them on, wear them, then send them to them to have them attached to waders in invaluable to me.

Thanks so much for the info.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:34 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:Someone should explain to that guy the point of breathable waders, its not for when you are IN the water, its for when you are out.

That said, I bookmarked that page when you first posted it awhile back. 100% that is my next pair of waders, I wish I didn't JUST get a new pair the end of last year. I love the fact they are made in America, I love the fact you can add your own boots. The custom fitting is awesome, I can never get boots/waders that fit just right. I'm fairly tall but I have small feet (you know what they say...). The fact I can buy a pair of boots, try them on, wear them, then send them to them to have them attached to waders in invaluable to me.

Thanks so much for the info.

Small socks?

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 pm

I bought a pair right at the end of the season last year. I have only hunted them 3 times but, I have no doubt they will prove tougher than any of the so called brush proof waders with durastretch etc. type material.
I'll admit, I didn't read all the post thoroughly so sorry if I'm repeating something already said. They are basically a dry suit that is cut off at just below the shoulders with suspenders added. Big plus, you can have new boots put on at anytime, unlike the other waders where you pitch the waders when boot wears out. You have to add your own insulation but, they do also sell layering system. USIA is local to me, less than 20 miles away so anything I need from them is a 10 minute drive away. Kim is a supplier to the US military, so he is used to making the grade.
Here are what mine look like.

Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:29 pm

The fact you can get different size waders with whatever boot/size is awesome. They make some noise as the fabric moves kind of like a trash bag not near as bad though. It's not that bad mostly its when you are taking them on and off when they make the most noise cause thats when the fabric is moving the most. I asked USIA about this when I ordered they say the material quiets down with use as it breaks in. The noise isn't enought to concern me or outweight all the benefits of the all the sizing and color options you have with them. On the breathable note the so called breathable waders don't even breath that well, but thats just my opinion the fact of weather or not waders breath doesn't matter to me.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Garand » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:04 pm

QH's Paw wrote:

I have a pair on order for a few weeks now that are ATACS and Coyote Brown for the body, a buddy of mine ordered Coyote Brown body with Multicam camo.

I'll make sure to post pics when they arrive.
Garand
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:02 pm

the multicam with the brown would look pretty cool I didn't know they had the multicam I might have got it.

handyandy
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:42 pm

anyone have a Working URL?
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:21 pm

greenster wrote:anyone have a Working URL?

Worked Monday, maybe their servers are just down.

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm

MarkM wrote:

Been trying since Tuesday.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MarkM » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:38 pm

greenster wrote:
MarkM wrote:

Been trying since Tuesday.

Well that don't sound good..

Try calling them at 800-247-8070

Locked&Loaded wrote:

MarkM
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:53 pm

Site is down for repair/update. They are still very much in business.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum