USIA waders review

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Re: USIA waders review

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384986270.944939.jpg

Mine fit great but the dive boots suck.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby B.E.Nelli » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Do the buckles get in the way of shouldering your gun. That looks like its right where you should mount your gun.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby Garand » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:59 pm

Pics as promised

ATACS camo with Coyote Brown base

Next to Cabelas breathables in Max-4 Camo

After one hunt in unseasonably warm temps the boots seem great, this weekends temps should be in the 20's, should be a better test.

Crotch seams

Top tier buckles

Seams

Garand
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:21 am

Here's a review for you on USIA. I went out for a short while this morning, trying to get a few birds. Well, as luck would have it, I sprung a leak in my USIA waders. I only lasted 1 1/2 hours with my wet foot and freezing temps.(the birds not cooperating didn't help me stay either). I swung by USIA before heading home and 10 minutes later they were fixed.
The leak I got is something you guys who recently bought waders will never see. I have a first generation set of waders and the cordura overlayment does not run the full length on the back of the legs like the waders they are making now. So. I have a spot on the inside of my legs that can rub bare drysuit against each other. It rubbed a small hole at the knee.
Anyway, my point is they stood behind their stuff.
I think I'll get a hold of the owner and see if they can cover the portion that is not covered but, it will have to wait until after the season.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:22 am

Tealer wrote:

There are better boots available or, you can have your own boots put on them if you talk to Kim.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:11 am

QH's Paw wrote:
Tealer wrote:

There are better boots available or, you can have your own boots put on them if you talk to Kim.

I am looking for better boots now. USIA has nothing in stock till after the first of the year. Until I find better boots mine are sitting out this season.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Drundel » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Tealer wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
Tealer wrote:

I am looking for better boots now. USIA has nothing in stock till after the first of the year. Until I find better boots mine are sitting out this season.

Yes their boot options do leave a lot to be desired. I tried to get the point across that for hunting in slippery mud or clay, those sand style boots are worthless (trust me, I have many wading boots for fishing like that and have worn them with my breathables, I've busted my ass many times in rice fields with those boots) so hopefully the new style of bogs they are getting will have a better sole.
Drundel
Newb

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:08 am

I haven't been having any issues with the boots on mine. I don't have any more trouble keeping my footing in them than I did with my old columbia waders or lacrosse. But to each his own just talk to them if you want to get a pair and send them the boots you want to use. The quality of the waders is way better than any other pair I've had or seen.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Drundel wrote:
Tealer wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
Tealer wrote:

The new bogs are great but they won't have them this year.
Yes their boot options do leave a lot to be desired. I tried to get the point across that for hunting in slippery mud or clay, those sand style boots are worthless (trust me, I have many wading boots for fishing like that and have worn them with my breathables, I've busted my ass many times in rice fields with those boots) so hopefully the new style of bogs they are getting will have a better sole.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:18 am

Well had them out this weekend hunting so far the coldest hunt I've had in them and probably about the coldest they will ever see here. Friday it snowed quite a bit and got pretty darn cold friday night. I hunted saturday when I launched the boat it was 12 degrees out water in the ohio river was pretty darn cold too. The high was only 28 that day and I didn't have any issues being cold other than my feet which always get cold no matter what I do, so I'm just use to that. Granted I was prepared for the cold as anyone with common since should be. On bottom I had thick redhead wool socks, long underwear a under armor knock off type, avery brutal wear long underwear which is a polypropelene material, then fleece wader pants. On top I had a long sleeve thin fleece shirt, another regular long sleeve shirt, avery brutal wear top, and then a duck commander fleece jacket similar to drake one. I had a thick fleece cap on as well and neck gator. Other than my feet getting a little cold while sitting for a while I was comfortable. Yes I had a lot on but I knew it was darn cold and going to be a long cold boat ride from the ramp to my spot. If I had my old neoprenes still which were only 3.5mm thick neoprene and 600gram thinsulate boots I may have removed the long underwear and one long sleeve shirt maybe. Really the USIA's are probably just as warm as my old thin neoprenes but a lot more durable. On a side note that avery brutal wear stuff is awesome and pretty cheap through rogers. The duck commander jacket isn't bad either got it last season on clearance from macks and it is almost identical to a full zip drake. Sorry I keep forgetting to take new pics of the waders with some dirt on them now. I will remember one day. Oh yeah shot two ducks and a goose. Had quiet a few other groups of ducks work and come in just had some pretty poor shooting on my part and some landed on the outside of the deeks to far away to shoot. So they didn't mind the non waterfowl camo.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 am

garand have you used yours much more since your last post about them. I found the boots to be no worse traction or warmth wise than my old columbia ones with 600grams of thinsulate. If I ever wear these ones out I will probably look into having some mucks put on for the added warmth when its as cold as it was this last weekend here.

handyandy
hunter

Postby Garand » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 am

Yessir, I posted a review w/questions over on the Ifish forums. Here is a cut/paste

[quote=CAPT KUJO]The 1st rule of "dressing yourself" is COTTON IS FORBIDDEN. I do this for a living. Never wear cotton next to your skin in an environmentaly closed system. Fact is you will sweat, it is your job to scienctically direct moisture in that system. That starts by indentifying fabrics that moisture likes and dislikes. Moisture loves COTTON and hates fleeces. So wear fleece next to your skin and moisure will wick away from you as it will be attracted to the "urethane coating" of your waders. If you wear cotton against your skin, it will soak up sweat and stay there making you moist feeling.

Hope this helps you maximize your dry days in waders

CAPT KUJO[/quote]

I received my waders a few weeks ago and have managed to hunt 3 whole days in them, but those 3 days were a pretty good representation of the hunting conditions here in Oklahoma.

The first outing was t-shirt weather. 77degrees! No surprises, the waders functioned just like the other "breathables" I've hunted with for the last decade, albeit they're obviously a LOT more durable. The boots gave me some concern ( I bought the upgraded insulated dive boot) when I was wearing them in the house, but they were really good in the field. I think a lot of guys (including myself) jump to the conclusion that a boot that isn't a gigantic mickey mouse style affair wont work on waders. Walking in ankle deep sticky mud wasn't a problem as my foot wasn't trying to pull out of the boot with every step(I credit the ankle strap).

This past weekends outings were on the other end of the temp scale though. Temp's in the low 20's, 15-20mph winds. I've always worn good fleece under my "breathables" so my legs stayed plenty warm even when my waders were icing over, however my feet got a bit cold. I was wearing my normal Patagonia heavyweight merino wool blend socks. If I kept moving I was fine, but sitting still would result in cold toes and soles. I was thinking it was a result of standing on and crushing down the insulation properties of my socks, and the relatively thin sole in the boots.

Now for the questions:

The boots were extremely comfortable and I didn't have any real issues with the tread, but I'm concerned with the durability, Maybe Kim could expound on how they're built?

The area I hunt is very thick with Honey Locus trees, in fact I spent all weekend with my gun leaning against one. There are down branches everywhere you looked, and thought of stepping on one of the thorns is ever present!
Does the sole of the boot contain any sort of lining, aka kevlar or the like that would protect against puncture?

Question about socks.

What do you recommend to be worn under your waders/drysuits?

Pic of a Honey Locus tree if you're not familiar

and a few pics of the waders for the thread.

Coyote brown with ATACS camo

Garand
hunter

Postby handyandy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 am

Well I have been using my USIA waders all season and the past couple hunts I have had them on it was pretty darn cold. With proper layering I stayed as warm as I ever did with my old neoprenes. This past saturday I hunted the the low was around 10 and the high was around 20. My feet got cold at points after sitting for a while but I had this problem even with my neoprenes so nothing I'm not use to. My feet just tend to get cold easily no matter what I do. But overall I stayed warm and hunted the better part of the day. Here are a few pics of this past weekend when I spent both days floating a small river for ducks. These waders have been super tough there were some spots we had to drag the canoe through the woods around log jams and I ran into plenty of boken sticks and thorns didn't hurt the waders at all. Slid down the river bank on my but a couple of times no issues with any crotch seems or butt seems. I wouldn't buy any other pair of waders from now on. Once I wear out the current boots I may have some of the more heavily insulated muck boots put on instead to help with my cold feet. But the USIA boots have held up well and are comfy. They haven't been any colder than the 600gram thinsulate ones I had in my old neoprenes. Overrall I am really happy with the waders they are super tough and should be my last pair I buy for a long time. The fabric broke in some and is a little more flexible and quiet than when it started but it really wasn't ever that bad.
Attachments
IMG_0509.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG

handyandy
hunter

Postby Drundel » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:24 pm

Finally got mine in. I ordered Large short, with the base color of coyote brown and the over color in MARPAT woodland pattern with the default servus boots in size 9.

I'm 5'8" (5'7" after squats) and according to the measurements the short could be plenty long enough for me in the legs, I failed to notice the torso measurement. From the crotch to the top, there isn't a lot of slack and I have to wear the straps really loose and cross over them over to keep them from falling down. The legs have plenty of room, almost too much really, but the torso is too short.

I've hunted in them twice, once wearing fleece pants and the other time wearing BDU pants and I wasn't uncomfortable, but I wouldn't want to do a 5 mile walk in them. When I was sitting down I had to keep standing up to pull them down to let the boys breathe. They for sure DO NOT breathe, not a bit. After the first hunt wearing wicking fleece, there was a ton of sweat on the outside of the fleece. And second hunt I got in deeper water and it was weird how I could feel the cold water through the waders and BDUs. I might have to try them out this summer wearing shorts when the jelly fish get bad.

The material is louder than breathables or neoprene, but I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. The first day it was in the 30s and I was in water the entire time and the second time was on dry land and neither time my feet got cold. I did some climbing the second day with them and was pleasantly surprised on how good they gripped the rocky bank of the pond I was hunting.

I asked for a hand pocket, wanting just a simple place to put my hands, and they gave me a really nice pocket that was fleece lined. There are no drain holes so the first time I get in deep water it will be water logged, so I'll try to baby it and keep it above water. I guess they changed d-rings, cause mine are plastic (25$ seems a bit much).

The quality looks to be the same as the others have posted.

My advice for anyone ordering some, call and ask about the measurements. I wish my legs were a little shorter and the torso was longer.

I took some pictures of my waders hanging up in the garage with my old cableas 9 stout neoprenes and some cheaper stearns size L breatheables.
Attachments
20140127_102834.jpg
Stearns Waders
20140127_102608.jpg
Cabelas Waders
20140127_102136.jpg
USIA Waders
Drundel
Newb

Postby handyandy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:06 am

Yeah you really notice the moisture your body produces with the usias more since they don't breath but neoprenes don't breath either you just don't see the moistue since they absorb it. Which thats one thing I do like my old neoprenes after a full day of hunting wouldn't dry out on their own just hanging I had to use a boot dryer the usia's since they don't absorb the moisture will dry out for me over night just hanging. The standard medium size fits me pretty well I don't really have any issues with the crotch being to high. I called and talked to them quiet a bit before ordering mine to make sure I had the sizing right.

handyandy
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Gear Forum