Push pole...pole

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Push pole...pole

Postby DukDukGoose » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:35 pm

What do ya'll use for the actual pole on your push poles? Im looking for something light weight that wont break or bend. Tried bamboo last time after 1/2 a season it was cracking and broke... I dont want one of those metal telescopic ones, every one ive used has been heavy and a beast when you get some gunk on it.
DukDukGoose
hunter

Re: Push pole...pole

Postby Swamp Chuck » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:08 pm

Swamp Chuck
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

use a graphite, aluminum or fiberglass ones like they do for fishing the shallows down in the gulf. But be prepared to drop some $$$
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby handyandy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I have that one from macks been using it for three years now. Granted I don't use it a ton but a fair amount. I like it hasn't broke or bent on me.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:33 am

Stair railings work well and usually a lot cheaper.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby erp10 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 am

I also have the one made by Avery. The feet work really well but I use the paddle more than the push pole. The notches on the paddle grab the decoy line...makes picking up the deeks.easier in the boat.
erp10
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:52 am

Go-Devil sells by far the best push poles we've tried.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby t_baker » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Go-Devil sells by far the best push poles we've tried.

Is that all aluminum? Looks awfully easy to build. I might do something like that with a 10 foot stick of 1 1/2 EMT conduit.
t_baker
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Avery Trac-lok with the Marsh foot.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm

t_baker wrote:

Is that all aluminum? Looks awfully easy to build. I might do something like that with a 10 foot stick of 1 1/2 EMT conduit.

They're all aluminum and for whatever reason seem to hold up better than much heavier home/shop copies I've seen.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:43 pm

This one is more expensive than the Avery but is better made and will last longer. I still have one in my boat, even comes with the clips to mount it.
http://www.richmarsports.com/Pushpole_Products.html
dgram36
hunter

Postby duckstruck » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:22 pm

Home Depot closet pole that you put cloths hangers on.
duckstruck
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:17 am

For several decades I've been using an aluminum pole used for cleaning swimming pools. It weighs nothing, is strong, and after plugging both ends with about 12 inches of clothes closet hanger dowel, it even floats. Covered with camo tape that is fading but has lasted about 12 years.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ReelNutts8~ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:06 pm

I Love it when I buy a bag of air and the company is nice enough to put some chips in it.

Caution: This machine has no brain, use your own
ReelNutts8~
hunter

Postby ptrivero » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:12 am

telescoping window washing pole sold at lowes/homedepot hase a 3/4 nc thred hole in the end u can put any thing u dream of on it
i got the 7" to 12" also makes grate decoy retriever pole also
ptrivero
hunter

Postby petrel » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:50 am

I know you tried it before, but maybe your bamboo was too dry. After about two seasons, my bamboo push poles get too dry and begin to crack as well. I try to cut them in September for use beginning in November and always keep a fresh spare in the shop. The minute they show any sign of cracking, I just trade it out.

I only pole the mud boat while picking up decoys. If I used it as a primary means of propulsion I'd take the advice of some of the previous posts and buy a flats fishing grade push pole. They are supposed to be the ultimate. Stiffy is supposed to be one of the best.

For utility, the Richmar is hard to beat. I use one on my Momarsh Fatboy. It is nice to be able to switch from pushpole to paddle. The telescoping feature makes it possible to stow it when not in use. Unfortunately, they sink like a stone.
petrel
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:18 pm

petrel wrote:I know you tried it before, but maybe your bamboo was too dry. After about two seasons, my bamboo push poles get too dry and begin to crack as well. I try to cut them in September for use beginning in November and always keep a fresh spare in the shop. The minute they show any sign of cracking, I just trade it out.

I only pole the mud boat while picking up decoys. If I used it as a primary means of propulsion I'd take the advice of some of the previous posts and buy a flats fishing grade push pole. They are supposed to be the ultimate. Stiffy is supposed to be one of the best.

For utility, the Richmar is hard to beat. I use one on my Momarsh Fatboy. It is nice to be able to switch from pushpole to paddle. The telescoping feature makes it possible to stow it when not in use. Unfortunately, they sink like a stone.

Yeah I forgot to mention if you drop it in the water kiss it goodbye!
dgram36
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
t_baker wrote:

They're all aluminum and for whatever reason seem to hold up better than much heavier home/shop copies I've seen.

It's the alloy they use...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AccuracyBYvolume » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

http://www.mcmaster.com/#fiberglass-(frp)-tubing/=p2sli3

Made my own with 2 - 10ft lengths of tubing. Made a 16 ft pole and used some g10 fiberlass angle for the foot. Attached everything with epoxy and some fiberglass mat. It has held up nicely over the past 3 years through mud, muck, and ice. Overall cost was just over $100.

AccuracyBYvolume
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:20 pm

I like your neighbor's roof!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Slack Tide wrote:I like your neighbor's roof!

red galvalum....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Flatrock » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 pm

If you can find an old pole vault pole they work amazing. The state of Iowa shut down highschool pole vaulting many years ago and I was able to find an old one at the highschool for free.
Flatrock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Flatrock wrote:If you can find an old pole vault pole they work amazing. The state of Iowa shut down highschool pole vaulting many years ago and I was able to find an old one at the highschool for free.

That'd be a funny cartoon.....you push hard into the mud and get stuck, then the boat shoots off into the sunset like a vaulter.....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby WildernessWill » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 pm

greenster wrote:Avery Trac-lok with the Marsh foot.

This one rocks. Very strong and long. Fair price too. I dropped it in a deep brackish pond and came back3 weeks later, looked good as new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
WildernessWill
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum