Duck Hunting Forum banner

Goose hunting on ice

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mysticwolf 
#1 ·
So late season we hunt a little lake that freezes sollid 6-12 inches. we always just cut our hole with the cainsaw bye the edge in shooting range and its wored out alright not great but still get some. weve always wanted to hunt in the middle but didnt know how to hide if we used snow cover and but decoys tight around us and close together would that work?

#2 ·
#4 ·
Depends on how thick the ice was when you put it out there. Being public, you would have to stay with it.

Read this, has some info for you.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=184692

Also, search the forums, you can probably find everything you could want.

#6 ·
Search CL for an ice eater. I picked one up last season for $200 used 1HP. I need another one. They are out there. Takes about an hour to open a hole that is decent size. I can open a hole in the lake and birds are all over it for days. As for the snow cover, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

#7 ·
I have heard of guys laying out black plastic on the ice and setting the decoys on it, the plastic loos like open water from the air, Thought about trying it, but haven't yet, I know in Indiana, you CAN NOT cut a whole bigger then 12"x12" so no one can fall through.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.